Roseanne Barr

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Mike Birbiglia has a Netflix special that I love called "Thank God For Jokes". He's got a whole section about how jokes have been ruined by people who always have to say "I'm joking!" after everything.

Thanks for turning me onto to this special! What a fantastic set! Will watch again sometime. That section is definitely some great commentary to contribute to the discussion.

Im intrigued by the ongoing debate in stand up about 'funny only' vs 'meaningful and funny.' I thought his entire set made clear that 'funny only' can hold a lot of meaning and commentary. So meta in his approach to the discussion too, lol.

All the meaningful stuff aside; "nuts are the backbone of pesto and nobodies talking about it" is effing hilarious!!!! Thats gonna stick with me :lol:

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wasted said:

I don't actually think Roseanne is racist, if anything she is a liberal. The show had a liberal agenda. Trump is also a liberal under all the posturing.  

I think everyone is a bit racist one time or another. It's just that she's a celebrity and when you post something online now, everyone sees and hears it and some people complain and there you go!

I remember when comedians would make fun of all nationalities and it was funny because it was true. It wasn't meant to be mean, just making a funny statement.

I just don't even know why Roseanne would pick on a woman who isn't even in the media much? Maybe Roseanne does have a mental illness and if she does, she needs to get help.

One good thing came out of this, The Middle's daughter Sue is getting her own show now. I loved The Middle and it was like Roseanne with middle class people facing every day problems, so seeing Sue grow up and continue on her own show, I'm up for that.

Don't think I want to see Darlene's family in a show. I didn't think they were all that funny, but who knows?

It's just crazy how things change from second to second.

On 3-6-2018 at 3:53 PM, action said:

I've been made fun out of being a belgian by a dutch poster on here. It's kind of a dutch-belgian thing. 

Yeah, but I also said that I prefer Belgian accents over Dutch accents and that I secretly like you.

On that show The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air they were often making fun of white people and portraying white people as stereoptypes, and I don't think anyone has ever been offended by that. I'm sure that if it would have been a white family making black jokes, the shit would have hit the fan.

Edited by EvanG

On 7-6-2018 at 7:07 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Not sure if this will happen, but there's talk about continuing the show but with Darlene's family as the focus. If they do this, they will have to kill off Roseanne to include Dan and Jackie and their mom. I mean what will they say, Roseanne visited today, but not show her.

This last season they did the same with Roseanne's 4th kid, apparently he was on a fishing trip the entire season, and Jackie's kid was never even mentioned, apparently he disappeared into thin air.

I think Roseanne was a very liberal show compared to many other American sitcoms. They were always sticking up for minorities, addressing racial issues and several homosexual characters were part of the cast, which you didn't see a lot in other American shows at the time.

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think everyone is a bit racist one time or another. It's just that she's a celebrity and when you post something online now, everyone sees and hears it and some people complain and there you go!

I remember when comedians would make fun of all nationalities and it was funny because it was true. It wasn't meant to be mean, just making a funny statement.

I just don't even know why Roseanne would pick on a woman who isn't even in the media much? Maybe Roseanne does have a mental illness and if she does, she needs to get help.

One good thing came out of this, The Middle's daughter Sue is getting her own show now. I loved The Middle and it was like Roseanne with middle class people facing every day problems, so seeing Sue grow up and continue on her own show, I'm up for that.

Don't think I want to see Darlene's family in a show. I didn't think they were all that funny, but who knows?

It's just crazy how things change from second to second.

Like you said it's the climate now, you can't say this kind of thing. Especially if you are a Trump supporter and people are waiting for you to make a mistake.

But Roseanne has always run her mouth, which is what comedians do as they search for funny. I don't think she was trying to make a racist comment. So that's a problem, shutting down creative thoughts. She's a comedian not a political activist. Apologize, walk it back, explain what's wrong with it.

brutally ruining her career, over obviously political reasons, kind of plays into tribalism. We are good, you are bad and evil and should be destroyed. That divides people. Controlling what people say seems like what most fascist regimes do. 

I mean who can truly say they never said anything suspect? Which means that if you have a job at anytime they can ruin you if they want. So that means you have to play along with whatever is going. Which leads to bad things. So I worry about that but hey why do I care just give me another beer. Why is Roseanne on twitter anyway she's already rich and successful. 

• 2 weeks later...

ABC has announced a new show called "The Connors". Not sure what they are doing to the Roseanne character. Guess she could die during knee surgery or put in a coma. Either way, how can this show be funny if they kill off the main character?

I hope Jackie moves into the Connor house. I love her character. I think she's the funniest character on the show.

Yeah, in today's world, no one gets a second chance anymore. What she said was wrong, but what Kathy Griffin did with a fake Trump head was wrong too, yet she's back with a full comedy tour.

I just don't know anymore what's right or what's wrong on social media.

Saw on yahoo.com how sorry Roseanne and how messed up her life is now.

I know what she said was so wrong, but doesn't anyone deserve a second chance to make things right. She didn't kill anyone or abuse people like some other actors.

Look at Kathy Griffen. I think bringing out a fake head of Trump was horrible. Whatever you may think, he's still the President and that was just disrespectful. Yet, she's got a new comedy tour happening this summer.

I just don't know anymore. It seems nowadays any little mistake you make can be your last.

14 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Saw on yahoo.com how sorry Roseanne and how messed up her life is now.

I know what she said was so wrong, but doesn't anyone deserve a second chance to make things right. She didn't kill anyone or abuse people like some other actors.

Look at Kathy Griffen. I think bringing out a fake head of Trump was horrible. Whatever you may think, he's still the President and that was just disrespectful. Yet, she's got a new comedy tour happening this summer.

I just don't know anymore. It seems nowadays any little mistake you make can be your last.

What's not to know? Racism is not a "little mistake", it's flat out wrong. She's being punished for saying something incredibly racist on a public platform while being a public figure. 

• Like 3

I don't know if it was incredibly racist, it was a stupid joke, the kind of joke a lot of people have made at one point or another, comedians make those kind of jokes all the time. 

I don't want to stick up for her because it was a stupid comment in the first place, but... I don't know.

15 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I know what she said was so wrong, but doesn't anyone deserve a second chance to make things right.

15 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

It seems nowadays any little mistake you make can be your last.

Yep. And that's the bigger picture here, and how social media is ruining us. Everyone is so quick to judge and villify someone, no matter what it is. Can you imagine if when we were younger before social media was so prevalent, if all of our mistakes or bad decisions or embarrassments, were caught on camera, or retweeted around the world, forever in front of us, never going away, never allowing us to move on, being a permathreat against our jobs or mental health? Jeezus. I shudder to think of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Yep. And that's the bigger picture here, and how social media is ruining us. Everyone is so quick to judge and villify someone, no matter what it is. Can you imagine if when we were younger before social media was so prevalent, if all of our mistakes or bad decisions or embarrassments, were caught on camera, or retweeted around the world, forever in front of us, never going away, never allowing us to move on, being a permathreat against our jobs or mental health? Jeezus. I shudder to think of it. 

I suppose the counter argument could be that if you’re currently the biggest star in TV sitcom land you might want to think twice before calling a black person a monkey on the absolute most public forum imaginable. :shrugs: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I suppose the counter argument could be that if you’re currently the biggest star in TV sitcom land you might want to think twice before calling a black person a monkey on the absolute most public forum imaginable. :shrugs: 

This.

I really don't see how there's any argument against this aspect of it.

36 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yes, it was stupid. Very stupid. I don't think anyone disagrees, except for probably real racists.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Well as i clearly stated above, i wasnt talking about Roseanne's comments per se, which were quite shocking, but using this topic and the previous posters comments as a springboard to talk about the world we live in, in the age of social media. Which in my opinion, is scary. :shrugs:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

I dont understand this "real racist" thing?

Well, Roseanne is being called a racist, and I don't know her personally, but I don't think she's a racist because she made a racist joke.

Edited by EvanG

I think the point is that Roseanne is a comedian and she was trying to be funny. So they need some leeway to say the wrong thing so they can be creative etc.

The second point is her show was opening up a dialogue about these issues and the show had a liberal agenda and with one Trump supporter. The dialogue or forum for discussion is over. 

I would support free speech because without it you get violence. You talk things out, don’t isolate and ostracize people, that leads to tribalism. We fight each other instead of looking at the real problem. 

But still a company has a right to fire anyone who damages their money. The problem is ABC had a comedy show with a comedian. Are you really surprised a comedian said the wring thing? There isn’t anyone who hasn’t said something suspect. Even Jerry Seinfeld reaches for his wallet or dates 17 year olds. 

Another element is that it’s one thing for a person to just say hey don’t say that. Or everyone shame Roseanne or whatever. But when institutions start limiting free speech to control the political narrative, that can go to some bad places. Just about every disaster of the 20th century started with limiting free speech. 

And it goes both ways. If that’s the bar then don’t complain when it comes around to you. Roseanna has done more for liberalism than most and now she’s ruined over one tweet? 

Pretty dumb comment on her part. 

In hindsight, I'm fairly certain it was some sort of drug (pill) induced attempt at getting publicity for herself/her show.  It obviously backfired. 

Anyone that has followed Roseanne's career knows she has a history of doing things for publicity that tend to backfire....jokes in bad taste, etc....she offended just about every conservative in the country back in the day when she made a mockery of the National Anthem....

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Well, Roseanne is being called a racist, and I don't know her personally, but I don't think she's a racist because she made a racist joke.

Theres racist jokes which may have a time and place depending on the motivation behind them and then theres racist comments, right?  

But if we are to go the route of saying that its an isolated incident then we have to confront the fatal flaw of that argument which is that taken in isolation 100% of the facts point to her racism.

2 hours ago, soon said:

But if we are to go the route of saying that its an isolated incident then we have to confront the fatal flaw of that argument which is that taken in isolation 100% of the facts point to her racism.

I don't see it like that. Maybe she is a racist, I don't know her, but I won't call someone a racist because of an ignorant and stupid joke.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't see it like that. Maybe she is a racist, I don't know her, but I won't call someone a racist because of an ignorant and stupid joke.

I guess the issue is that its not necessarily a stupid joke. If someone knows how to affirm longstanding racist slurs that are used to breed hate and inspire violence then that might be very smart depending on their goals.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I guess the issue is that its not necessarily a stupid joke.

Ok, well, I don't know about that. I only know she's a comedian, and I would be surprised to find out she's a racist seeing as how her show often addressed racism in the past. I know that doesn't mean you can't be a racist, but I would be surprised.

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ok, well, I don't know about that. I only know she's a comedian, and I would be surprised to find out she's a racist seeing as how her show often addressed racism in the past. I know that doesn't mean you can't be a racist, but I would be surprised.

Well, we both agree that her "joke" was racist. I would add vulgar, divisive and evocative of deep hatred and violence. But I dont know whats more to be said: we agree that what she said is racist. :shrugs:

Edited by soon

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Well, we both agree that her "joke" was racist. I would add vulgar, divisive and evocative of deep hatred and violence. But I dont know whats more to be said: we agree that what she said is racist. :shrugs:

I don't know if it was evocative of deep hatred and violence... that's another extreme. Yes, it was a very stupid, ignorant, racist, unfunny joke (if it was intended as a joke). Listen, I despise racism and intolerance, I would never defend anyone for being a racist, but we shouldn't want to live in a world where every politically incorrect joke turns into a witch-hunt. And that is happening more and more these days it seems.