Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

On January 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM, RussTCB said:

Funny thing about Not Now John; I have the 7" single for it which has the "radio edit". They changed out all the "fucks" for "stuff". So yes, you hear David, Roger AND the backup singers saying "Stuff all that!". It's really poorly punched in too, so it sounds even worse than it should. 

One bright point about the 7" is that it has The Hero's Return Part II which is not on the album. I'm sure it's available on YouTube, but it's near to have it on a 45. 

HA, I checked out Stuff All that. What a hoot!! 

I dont recall knowing about Heroes Return pt II. Im really glad that you turned me on to this!! :headbang: 

Do you figure the music is different because they knew it wasnt gonna go on the album, therefore no orchestral parts? Or is it all just different because its pt 2? It felt angrier to me, whatever the defence was.

14 minutes ago, soon said:

HA, I checked out Stuff All that. What a hoot!! 

I dont recall knowing about Heroes Return pt II. Im really glad that you turned me on to this!! :headbang: 

Do you figure the music is different because they knew it wasnt gonna go on the album, therefore no orchestral parts? Or is it all just different because its pt 2? It felt angrier to me, whatever the defence was.

Yeah, I think maybe it was part of the demo and didn't get finished because Roger knew it wasn't going to make the album. I think that's why it sounds so different. It also sounds like Roger didn't really work on the lyrics for that part much either. If it would've been on the album, I bet her would have touched up the lyrics. 

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I think maybe it was part of the demo and didn't get finished because Roger knew it wasn't going to make the album. I think that's why it sounds so different. It also sounds like Roger didn't really work on the lyrics for that part much either. If it would've been on the album, I bet her would have touched up the lyrics. 

Oh right, the lyrics were wanting to. Thats true.

I realize I forgot to mention that I checked out Green is the Colour into Careful and it really is a great pairing! I really wasnt able to imagine it before I heard it. I checked out a few takes and some are over the top excellent! 

• Like 1

Im excited for the new Roger Waters Tour! In the round will be very different for him. In a sense we will all be looking at one another. 'May the circle be unbroken...' comes to mind. 

My neighbouring province gets 2 shows and theres no show in my city <_<. So, if I decide to do the train ride I will end up seeing Roger in Montreal all of places, which is kinda a neat Wall tie in (and Animals tour I suppose as well) :headbang:

In the video announcement for the tour Roger says something along the lines of "I assure you its fun." :facepalm::lol: I guess he's aware that he maybe got a bit intense last run?

I'd love a T-shirt like that "Im a Roger Waters fan, I assure you it's fun" :lol:

19 hours ago, soon said:

Oh right, the lyrics were wanting to. Thats true.

I realize I forgot to mention that I checked out Green is the Colour into Careful and it really is a great pairing! I really wasnt able to imagine it before I heard it. I checked out a few takes and some are over the top excellent! 

Isn't that an incredible combo? If you had asked me to pick two Floyd songs that could be played back to back live, those would've probably been my last guesses haha. But they work together so well and like you said there are some that are just astoundingly good.

48 minutes ago, soon said:

Im excited for the new Roger Waters Tour! In the round will be very different for him. In a sense we will all be looking at one another. 'May the circle be unbroken...' comes to mind. 

My neighbouring province gets 2 shows and theres no show in my city <_<. So, if I decide to do the train ride I will end up seeing Roger in Montreal all of places, which is kinda a neat Wall tie in (and Animals tour I suppose as well) :headbang:

In the video announcement for the tour Roger says something along the lines of "I assure you its fun." :facepalm::lol: I guess he's aware that he maybe got a bit intense last run?

I'd love a T-shirt like that "Im a Roger Waters fan, I assure you it's fun" :lol:

My wife can make you that shirt if you like :lol:, she has a crafting machine that cuts vinyl and she's made shirts for us before for certain events lol. 

My favorite Waters shirt I ever own was one I bought on the 1999 tour. I had a black & white pic of Roger on the front and on the back it said "THE CREATIVE GENIUS OF PINK FLOYD" in huge block letters. I had to have it as soon as I saw it because it's just soooooooooooooooooooooo Roger to put that on your own shirt! haha.

51 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My wife can make you that shirt if you like :lol:, she has a crafting machine that cuts vinyl and she's made shirts for us before for certain events lol. 

My favorite Waters shirt I ever own was one I bought on the 1999 tour. I had a black & white pic of Roger on the front and on the back it said "THE CREATIVE GENIUS OF PINK FLOYD" in huge block letters. I had to have it as soon as I saw it because it's just soooooooooooooooooooooo Roger to put that on your own shirt! haha.

Oh thats awesome - I might have to place an order then :lol: Ill need mine bilingual so that the Quebecors dont just ignore me and they'll still fulfill my poutine order(s), lol. That sounds like a neat machine!

HAHAHA, that is classic! Wish I had one of those Creative Genius shirts. Thats gotta be the briefest way one could explain Roger on many levels :lol:

• Like 1

I liked that acoustic Comfortable bit. :) 

Anyway, get this. Apart from DB 1994, David has never - within his tours - played in the Czech Republic. He did visit Germany, Austria, Poland (hello? Live in Gdansk DVD?) each time, but he's been avoiding our country for some friggin reason. I mean, wouldn't that guy like Prague?

Incidentally, I have a DB tattoo on my arm, and I once had a dream where I somehow talked with David, and he was very pleasant and smiling etc., as you can imagine. I may have been interpreting for him, I may have been giving directions or guiding him through a city, don't really remember. But I think I showed him the ink and he liked it. 

So I guess this post has two parts: don't complain that you have to travel a bit + David Gilmour liked my PF tattoo... sort of. :D Good hangover morning, everyone. 

Edited by jamillos

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

Anyway, get this. Apart from DB 1994, David has never - within his tours - played in the Czech Republic. He did visit Germany, Austria, Poland (hello? Live in Gdansk DVD?) each time, but he's been avoiding our country for some friggin reason. I mean, wouldn't that guy like Prague?

Incidentally, I have a DB tattoo on my arm, and I once had a dream where I somehow talked with David, and he was very pleasant and smiling etc., as you can imagine. I may have been interpreting for him, I may have been giving directions or guiding him through a city, don't really remember. But I think I showed him the ink and he liked it. 

So I guess this post has two parts: don't complain that you have to travel a bit + David Gilmour liked my PF tattoo... sort of. :D Good hangover morning, everyone. 

Im glad that 'David' liked your ink :) 

Roger Waters played Prague in recent years though. As far as I know Gilmour hasnt played my city since before I was born!

I missed Masons Saucerful of Secrets. I cant recall if they came here or not though. But I would travel a bit for that too.

In fairness to me, one of the reasons someone like me chooses to live in a bigger city is because concerts happen here. Or, they are supposed to at least. I put up with too much city bullshit to not have the major tours come here as the reward! :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

I saw David in concert with Floyd twice in 94, then I saw him on a solo tour in 2016. 

Side note, I did actually get to meet Roger and show him my Floyd tattoo! I was waiting with a crowd of 5 or so other people, who were obviously ebay people. They all had like 5 copies of the same album for Roger to sign. 

All I had was a scrap piece of paper from my car lol. Roger looked oddly at it and I said "I'm not selling the signature, I'm just a huge fan" then I pulled up my sleev and showed him my crossed hammers tattoo. 

He grabbed his chest and said "Be still my heart, it's an actual fan!". It was really cool lol

1 hour ago, soon said:

Im glad that 'David' liked your ink :) 

Roger Waters played Prague in recent years though. As far as I know Gilmour hasnt played my city since before I was born!

I missed Masons Saucerful of Secrets. I cant recall if they came here or not though. But I would travel a bit for that too.

In fairness to me, one of the reasons someone like me chooses to live in a bigger city is because concerts happen here. Or, they are supposed to at least. I put up with too much city bullshit to not have the major tours come here as the reward! :lol:

I was crushed to have to miss Nick's Saucerful when it came through Detroit. I was on a work trip I couldn't get out of and I hated every second of missing that show. 

I've seen Roger every time he's been through Detroit since I first saw him in 1999 and I'll be seeing him again this July too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I saw David in concert with Floyd twice in 94, then I saw him on a solo tour in 2016. 

Side note, I did actually get to meet Roger and show him my Floyd tattoo! I was waiting with a crowd of 5 or so other people, who were obviously ebay people. They all had like 5 copies of the same album for Roger to sign. 

All I had was a scrap piece of paper from my car lol. Roger looked oddly at it and I said "I'm not selling the signature, I'm just a huge fan" then I pulled up my sleev and showed him my crossed hammers tattoo. 

He grabbed his chest and said "Be still my heart, it's an actual fan!". It was really cool lol

I was crushed to have to miss Nick's Saucerful when it came through Detroit. I was on a work trip I couldn't get out of and I hated every second of missing that show. 

I've seen Roger every time he's been through Detroit since I first saw him in 1999 and I'll be seeing him again this July too. 

Dude... holy crap. My dreams - your reality. Man! 

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Dude... holy crap. My dreams - your reality. Man! 

Isn't that crazy??

But yeah, i feel very lucky to have met Roger and thanked him for everything he's given us. I have that autographed framed in my listening room :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

My wife was able to score Waters tickets for us this morning :)

Nice!

There more I think about it, it will be a small miracle if I make it to a show. Lately, I just don't have the 'get up and go.' So I need to wait until around the show to decide if Ive got the energy. And that might then price me out if theres only resale tickets available by then. Plus train tickets would be cheaper in advance too. I really hope to make it though!

Theres a video of the remastered DSOT performance of Time on YT. It starts with Mason standing up, playing the roto toms with special drum sticks that light up in pink and purple when he strikes a drum. Cool. And then all of a sudden when the verse drops in it cuts to Mason seated at his drums looking into the camera. I dont know why but I belly laugh when I see it! Is it supposed to be humorous? I dont say it to mock it - its great! But that edit just strikes me as so comical :lol:

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Nice!

There more I think about it, it will be a small miracle if I make it to a show. Lately, I just don't have the 'get up and go.' So I need to wait until around the show to decide if Ive got the energy. And that might then price me out if theres only resale tickets available by then. Plus train tickets would be cheaper in advance too. I really hope to make it though!

Theres a video of the remastered DSOT performance of Time on YT. It starts with Mason standing up, playing the roto toms with special drum sticks that light up in pink and purple when he strikes a drum. Cool. And then all of a sudden when the verse drops in it cuts to Mason seated at his drums looking into the camera. I dont know why but I belly laugh when I see it! Is it supposed to be humorous? I dont say it to mock it - its great! But that edit just strikes me as so comical :lol:

I hear ya on the concerts thing. I saw very few shows last year because I just didn't have the desire to go through everything to see a show. 

This year is starting off different. I have The Lone Bellow this Friday, then Sons of Apollo on Saturday. Next month I have Garth Brooks, then Sturgill Simpson a week later. Then I've got Roger and a couple of other shows in the summer. 

My thing with Roger is that he just won't be around much longer, so I'm going to see him any time he comes near. 

As for DSOT, I'm so disappointed with everything to do with the remaster. They should have just remastered it in 4K then left the original camera angles and audio. They really screwed the video and audio up while trying to "improve" it. 

On January 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM, RussTCB said:

I hear ya on the concerts thing. I saw very few shows last year because I just didn't have the desire to go through everything to see a show. 

This year is starting off different. I have The Lone Bellow this Friday, then Sons of Apollo on Saturday. Next month I have Garth Brooks, then Sturgill Simpson a week later. Then I've got Roger and a couple of other shows in the summer. 

My thing with Roger is that he just won't be around much longer, so I'm going to see him any time he comes near. 

I hope to get back in the saddle with going to shows.

Ive been enjoying some Lone Bellow since your podcast. Thats a sweet lineup of shows you got!

So true about Roger. I think its for that reason that my friend in Toronto got me a ticket. Said they'd easily get someone else to grab it, if I cant make it :headbang: Only thing is that its her and her Dads thing to go see Roger/anyone from Floyd together. Last show she and I went to, we ended up smooching. Now it will be like her Dads the chaperone as we navigate the awkwardness :lol: And whose place will I crash at? :lol: Way longer train trip too, but Im really happy and relieved to have the option.

So technically speaking, I've got a ticket to see Waters!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

(I think this is Masons official channel? If not there is licensing info regardless. So I hope that I have properly vetted this)

Yep, that's the official channel. I watched that and the trailer for the blu-ray the other day. Solid performance of Fearless. Has me looking forward to the whole show. I'll be buying the 2 LP set on Day 1

I saw an ignorant comment on the internet recently that equated the crossed hammers imagery from The Wall with white power / racism. 

I've never seen a more clear cut case of someone not understanding the full depth of artistry. If you think the hammers and/or crossed hammers in The Wall are meant as a symbol of empowerment, you're an idiot. Straight up.

Edit to clarify-

I'm totally aware of how the symbols are used in the movie, but they're not meant to be taken literally in the real world. If anything, they're more a sign of the lesson learned than anything. 

Been listening to a lot of Floyd lately I think the Live 8 Reunion and the  Venice 87? Might be my favorite shows they did . I made this cover of Wish You Were Here a while back and I hope its allowed. Probably gonna redo it to fix timing issues once I get a new bass 

https://soundcloud.com/guitarfreak-89354061/wish-you-were-here-cover-in-progres

On 2/5/2020 at 10:21 PM, RussTCB said:

I saw an ignorant comment on the internet recently that equated the crossed hammers imagery from The Wall with white power / racism. 

I've never seen a more clear cut case of someone not understanding the full depth of artistry. If you think the hammers and/or crossed hammers in The Wall are meant as a symbol of empowerment, you're an idiot. Straight up.

Edit to clarify-

I'm totally aware of how the symbols are used in the movie, but they're not meant to be taken literally in the real world. If anything, they're more a sign of the lesson learned than anything. 

my understanding of them is that roger is anti fascist and is makiing a commentary towards iit 

in his more recent concerts he has taken a position of being anti israel which ironically is the parallel vision of nazism -  i am aligned with him as it has become truly the bully state of the world 

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ive seen him twice i'd prob see him again he can still do it 

Of course he can. 

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

my understanding of them is that roger is anti fascist and is makiing a commentary towards iit 

in his more recent concerts he has taken a position of being anti israel which ironically is the parallel vision of nazism -  i am aligned with him as it has become truly the bully state of the world 

Wait.... You think Roger Waters is a "bully of the world"? 

On February 5, 2020 at 10:21 PM, RussTCB said:

Edit to clarify-

That same person when someone uses the expression "when pigs fly" - 'They have, I saw it on a Pink Floyd cover!' 

That is really sad (and annoying af!). Like you say the hammers image is part of a commentary opposing that ideology. :facepalm:

I really hope theres not people out their who went to The Wall with that misunderstanding in mind. Like, 'I cant wait for the dictator to come out and berate the people with spots! Im gonna throw someone up against the wall!'