Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

On 2/28/2023 at 1:11 PM, username said:

Apparently the city of Frankfurt canceled Roger Waters' concerts there over his antisemetic and generally strange world views. 

I read that too, although tickets are still on sale 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 1:11 PM, username said:

Apparently the city of Frankfurt canceled Roger Waters' concerts there over his antisemetic and generally strange world views. 

Which is kinda dumb ‘cause, as far as I know, Roger has been a huge critic of the government of Israel, especially it’s attitude towards palestine, which is completely different from being antisemitic. He is not targeting the jewish faith, the jewish lifestyle or traditional jewish customs, he is criticitizing a government which happens to be run by jewish people for a vast majority of jewish inhabitants, but in a geopolitical way and not in a social and cultural way. It would be like saying that criticizing the US is antichristian or something. Well, as far as I know. Maybe he did go crazy and I’m not up to date.

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

Which is kinda dumb ‘cause, as far as I know, Roger has been a huge critic of the government of Israel, especially it’s attitude towards palestine, which is completely different from being antisemitic. He is not targeting the jewish faith, the jewish lifestyle or traditional jewish customs, he is criticitizing a government which happens to be run by jewish people for a vast majority of jewish inhabitants, but in a geopolitical way and not in a social and cultural way. It would be like saying that criticizing the US is antichristian or something. Well, as far as I know. Maybe he did go crazy and I’m not up to date.

Well he did however put a star of david on his flying pig during his shows, but I agree with the overall statement

As always with Roger. His views are not necessarily bad, but he ruins everything  with the way he chooses to express them 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah, Roger has lost his mind:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12127731/Pink-Floyds-Roger-Waters-investigated-German-police-dressing-Nazi-Berlin-concert.html

I get he probably wanted to wear a Nazi costume as a way to antagonize it and not praise it but man… you combine that with the flying pig with the star of david, which, by itself is already unacceptable, and it does not look good at all. He’s gone insane, unfortunately. What a shame…

He’s been a total knob this year, but he’s been doing this gimmick since 1980. It’s part of the staging for that song and it’s satire. He does it every show, including when I saw him in Michigan in 2010

I think his opinions on Russia and China are fucked but I don’t think criticizing Israel means you’re anti Jewish

Either way, he’s a dick and I still think David and Nick should do a Pink Floyd “spite tour”

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Yeah, Roger has lost his mind:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12127731/Pink-Floyds-Roger-Waters-investigated-German-police-dressing-Nazi-Berlin-concert.html

I get he probably wanted to wear a Nazi costume as a way to antagonize it and not praise it but man… you combine that with the flying pig with the star of david, which, by itself is already unacceptable, and it does not look good at all. He’s gone insane, unfortunately. What a shame…

The flying pig with the star of David has 10 other things on it as well, it basically says fuck religion, fuck corporations, fuck Uncle Sam. 

I saw his show 2 days ago in Prague and that whole bit is very obvious, also shooting at the crowd is very obvious because it comes after In The Flesh? and the last line that goes: "If I had my way I'd have all of you shot!" - basically it's an anti-dictator/fascism part of the show 

Also, I'm glad he got some boos and some "FUCK PUTIN" from the crowd when he said something in line - the wars on Earth will never stop, this one in Ukraine either, they're all making it worse, ALL OF THEM. A lot of the time wars have 2 bad sides but this time it's pretty fucking obvious who's in the wrong.

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Never been into PF, but that many people (fans) can't be wrong. 

Someone said to listen to Pulse..... Would others agree? 

It's a good start. Good setlist and Gilmour was amazing that show

If you like it then I'd just go in order of the 4 big albums from "The Dark Side of the Moon" to "The Wall"

• Like 1

I may be in the minority but I generally prefer live Floyd in the late 80s- 90s. I think the modern equipment and techniques made them sound huge- Roger or not

PULSE is one of my favorite live albums and videos of all time. You can’t go wrong, as long as you start with the studio versions of Dark Side, Wish, Animals, and The Wall

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody heard Roger's DSOTM Redux in full yet? 

Freddie Mercury once said "Do what you want with my music, just don’t make it boring.".

Rog managed to do just that with the greatest album of all time. It's just incredibly dull. And preachy as hell. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

It’s trash, and I know it won’t happen, but I’d totally go to a David-Nick Pink Floyd spite tour

It truly is Waters rambling pseudo-intellectual pseudo-poetic megalomania at it's worst. 

The way he's trying to mimic Leonard Cohen's Thanks For The Dance spoken word is just so deeply annoying. 

This album is actively pissing me off more by the minute. 

I'm forcing myself to listen to it because I hold DSOTM so incredibly dear and I want to know what he's done to it. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Roger is a fucking idiot. He was an amazing artist, no doubt, and responsible for some of my favorite music, but a complete megalomaniac. He does not know when to shut the fuck up, and contrary to what people think, that can be a very admirable trait. I can't imagine what it must have been like to try and be a creative partner with him. Poor Nick and Rick and even David. His misguided views aside, what really opened my eyes to his narcissism was him continuing to sling words at fucking Rick Wright in 2023- 15 years after the man died! 

I am shocked he has been able to keep his mouth shut after the past few days' events in Israel. Yes, I understand you can sympathize with innocent Palestinians while also not being antisemitic, but with all the smoke and fire, and his twisted views on the Russia- Ukraine situation, and his staunch anti- West sentiment when he himself has become a multi- millionare because of the West, I think he can go fuck off to the bar, himself. 

I will say, him half- miming to The Wall in 2010 is one of the best arena shows I have ever seen. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Was at the show on Sunday and the first half was genuinely the maddest shite I've ever seen. The guy's completely lost the plot and it's tragic to see. He read from his memoirs for the vast majority of the first half and it was incoherent madness. He talked about eating sausages as a kid, where one of his school friends lived, his pet cat and how one of his friends had found the cat on a run, taking his kid's gerbil to get put down and his pet duck. I genuinely thought I was hallucinating as I couldn't square that it was the same guy I'd seen do some of the best shows I've seen. I'd be surprised if anyone publishes his memoirs without some heavy editing because the excerpts he read were all rambly and incoherent. 

The only fun part was the audience making quiet funny remarks. My favourite part was when some guys in front of us, completely aghast at what was happening, couldn't believe what was happening and when he got onto the duck story and talking about his groundskeeper one of them quipped "It's fookin' Midsommer Murders now like!" Thanks to that guy for actually providing some entertainment in the first half! My Mum and I started laughing during parts as it was so mental. I was genuinely worried for Roger's mental health. He did seem so off and wired that I did wonder if he was on anything. 

The Redux part was great though (could have done without the twenty minute video of Roger explaining what every song on Dark Side meant though!) and the band sounded phenomenal, the mix sounded much better than the Redux album I thought. In spite of how great that was though, it didn't change that I'd paid over a hundred quid for half a show. I can't believe he thought it was acceptable to fill a show with incoherent ramblings and a pre-recorded video. Only two songs were played pre-interval (The Bar and Mother). 

What's also so frustrating is that due to my health I go to much fewer shows as going to shows wipes me out fatigue wise, travel's a pain where I live and so a hotel is a must which is an added cost and often getting wheelchair tickets is a pain due to how few there are. In short, a show's got to really excite me to go. I was so excited for this as the idea of seeing Roger do a stripped-back set in a small venue was amazing. I figured we'd probably get a couple of deep-cuts due to the nature of the show. I never imagined we'd get his mad ramblings! 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seb91 said:

Was at the show on Sunday and the first half was genuinely the maddest shite I've ever seen. The guy's completely lost the plot and it's tragic to see. He read from his memoirs for the vast majority of the first half and it was incoherent madness. He talked about eating sausages as a kid, where one of his school friends lived, his pet cat and how one of his friends had found the cat on a run, taking his kid's gerbil to get put down and his pet duck. I genuinely thought I was hallucinating as I couldn't square that it was the same guy I'd seen do some of the best shows I've seen. I'd be surprised if anyone publishes his memoirs without some heavy editing because the excerpts he read were all rambly and incoherent. 

The only fun part was the audience making quiet funny remarks. My favourite part was when some guys in front of us, completely aghast at what was happening, couldn't believe what was happening and when he got onto the duck story and talking about his groundskeeper one of them quipped "It's fookin' Midsommer Murders now like!" Thanks to that guy for actually providing some entertainment in the first half! My Mum and I started laughing during parts as it was so mental. I was genuinely worried for Roger's mental health. He did seem so off and wired that I did wonder if he was on anything. 

The Redux part was great though (could have done without the twenty minute video of Roger explaining what every song on Dark Side meant though!) and the band sounded phenomenal, the mix sounded much better than the Redux album I thought. In spite of how great that was though, it didn't change that I'd paid over a hundred quid for half a show. I can't believe he thought it was acceptable to fill a show with incoherent ramblings and a pre-recorded video. Only two songs were played pre-interval (The Bar and Mother). 

What's also so frustrating is that due to my health I go to much fewer shows as going to shows wipes me out fatigue wise, travel's a pain where I live and so a hotel is a must which is an added cost and often getting wheelchair tickets is a pain due to how few there are. In short, a show's got to really excite me to go. I was so excited for this as the idea of seeing Roger do a stripped-back set in a small venue was amazing. I figured we'd probably get a couple of deep-cuts due to the nature of the show. I never imagined we'd get his mad ramblings! 

Sorry the show was a drag, but your recap made me laugh. 

He just can’t help himself. When he finally put out a concert movie for The Wall, a third of it was him traveling to visit his dads grave- whom I don’t think he’d ever even met! 

Who would possibly be interested in that sub plot?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Sorry the show was a drag, but your recap made me laugh. 

He just can’t help himself. When he finally put out a concert movie for The Wall, a third of it was him traveling to visit his dads grave- whom I don’t think he’d ever even met! 

Who would possibly be interested in that sub plot?!

You mean the 2015 one? Yeah, that was an odd thing. I'd seen him on that tour (2011, Arnhem) and it was pretty great in a lot of ways. But cuts like that just draw attention away from the show and really kill the momentum imo. 

I've seen Roger live three times. First time in Lichtenvoorde at Arrow Rock Festival 2006. It was a year after the infamous Live 8 Floyd reunion and at around the same time of Gilmour's On An Island album + tour (which I saw 3 months earlier and was absolutely stunning). This was the beginning of his DSOTM tour that really seemed to showcase his regained joy in touring after he'd done In The Flesh. It still really focussed on the music with a long and diverse set including DSOTM in it's entirity, combined with big hits and deep cuts alike. Really great gig! So good that I saw him again a year later in Arnhem doing the same show.

The relationship between Rog and Dave (and Rick) seemed rocky at best during Live 8 and 2 years later at the Syd Barrett tribute they both performed, but not together. If I remember correctly Rog joined David for something late 2010 and David joined Roger on Comfortably Numb during his 2011 London show(s). 

Somewhere during the The Wall tour he started losing it. He lost his filter and his megalomania and narcisism had grown immensely. The feud between Rog and Dave roared up a few times and of course Roger made some ridiculous comments on Rick after his death as well. By now the guy just lost it completely and he's just a bitter narcissist. I don't give a fuck about his political statements, which have also went from fairly subtle or at least veiled in the 00's to flat out insane now. 

9 hours ago, Seb91 said:

Sorry that it was such an odd and challenging show for you. The book reading stuff is just his absolute fucking insanity. Again. I'm sorry but who gives a fuck. This is not what people pay money for Roger. Get that through your skull. 

It's disappointing and sad when someone who's created so much amazing music that you love turns into such a bitter megalomaniac figure. 

Edited by username
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, username said:

You mean the 2015 one? Yeah, that was an odd thing. I'd seen him on that tour (2011, Arnhem) and it was pretty great in a lot of ways. But cuts like that just draw attention away from the show and really kill the momentum imo. 

I've seen Roger live three times. First time in Lichtenvoorde at Arrow Rock Festival 2006. It was a year after the infamous Live 8 Floyd reunion and at around the same time of Gilmour's On An Island album + tour (which I saw 3 months earlier and was absolutely stunning). This was the beginning of his DSOTM tour that really seemed to showcase his regained joy in touring after he'd done In The Flesh. It still really focussed on the music with a long and diverse set including DSOTM in it's entirity, combined with big hits and deep cuts alike. Really great gig! So good that I saw him again a year later in Arnhem doing the same show.

The relationship between Rog and Dave (and Rick) seemed rocky at best during Live 8 and 2 years later at the Syd Barrett tribute they both performed, but not together. If I remember correctly Rog joined David for something (the Syd tribute?) late 2010 and David joined Roger on Comfortably Numb during his 2011 London show(s). 

Somewhere during the The Wall tour he started losing it. He lost his filter and his megalomania and narcisism had grown immensely. The feud between Rog and Dave roared up a few times and of course Roger made some ridiculous comments on Rick after his death as well. By now the guy just lost it completely and he's just a bitter narcissist. I don't give a fuck about his political statements, which have also went to fairly subtle or at least veiled in the 00's to flat out insane now. 

Sorry that it was such an odd and challenging show for you. The book reading stuff is just his absolute fucking insanity. Again. I'm sorry but who gives a fuck. This is not what people pay money for Roger. Get that through your skull. 

Yeah the film for The Wall tour. He kept cutting from the show so we could watch him cry over his dad, again.

The Dark Side tour looked awesome. I saw him do The Wall in 2010, and honestly, I loved it. I doubt he played and sang the entire time, but it was such a visual and audio spectacle that it was really cool. Him adding the political themes actually worked for that show.

Now, he’s just gone insane. Even if he always was, he’s was at least focused more on the music back then. He would joke on The Wall tour about his younger, angrier self, but it seems that was always there.

The new Dark Side redo is shocking. It’s sheer insanity 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Fully agree with everything that’s been said re Roger. I mean, in some respects it’s fun that I got to see a show that will go down in Floyd history, albeit for all the wrong reasons :lol: 

It was crushing though - saw Roger and Nick on the DSOTM tour at Hyde Park in 2006 as a kid and it was incredible. Due to that show I got interested in bass playing (hadn’t given it much thought beforehand and was firmly just a guitar guy). The first bassline I ever learned was In the Flesh. Ended up mainly just playing bass in bands as I got older. To see Roger ramble like a madman and get heckled was pretty soul destroying.

I think the Dark Side tour was the best modern Roger tour really. Thought it was just childhood nostalgia but watched a bootleg recently and it was incredible - the band were super tight, Roger’s bass playing was great and there was no subtle as a sledgehammer political posturing. Don’t get me wrong, I loved The Wall shows I saw as a kid but I wonder if that tour had an unhealthy  impact on his ego and he figured political posturing was the way to go. He also seemed very different in those mad lockdown videos he put out. 

Edited by Seb91

You know what? I enjoyed this DSOTM Redux album. Money is utter shit, and the spoken word passages get old pretty quick, but some of it is really, really good. I haven't been too keen with Roger lately, he seems like he's going on a downward spiral of madness but this isn't so bad... He shouldn't have called it DSOTM Redux, though... he should have made it like... some kinda of re-interpretation, giving a clear message his objective isn't to replace or update the classic, but to make an alternative version to it based on his current style and visions. Oh, well.... It was a nice listen, nonetheless. Doesn't compare to the classic version but still good.

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2023 at 8:27 PM, username said:

The relationship between Rog and Dave (and Rick) seemed rocky at best during Live 8 and 2 years later at the Syd Barrett tribute they both performed, but not together. If I remember correctly Rog joined David for something late 2010 and David joined Roger on Comfortably Numb during his 2011 London show(s). 

Somewhere during the The Wall tour he started losing it. He lost his filter and his megalomania and narcisism had grown immensely. The feud between Rog and Dave roared up a few times and of course Roger made some ridiculous comments on Rick after his death as well. By now the guy just lost it completely and he's just a bitter narcissist. I don't give a fuck about his political statements, which have also went from fairly subtle or at least veiled in the 00's to flat out insane now. 

It's disappointing and sad when someone who's created so much amazing music that you love turns into such a bitter megalomaniac figure. 

Why infamous? 

PS: DSOTM is cool but also overhyped (mainly cause of Money), and they have better albums. The Wall, to name just one. 

PS 2: Also, I'm a big fan of the post-Waters era and even consider the 2 albums one of the best ones. And I don't give a damn what the majority says. Not that it has anything to do with the topic. :)