Floyd Discussion

double talkin jive mfkr

On 12/3/2023 at 2:22 AM, jamillos said:

Why infamous? 

PS: DSOTM is cool but also overhyped (mainly cause of Money), and they have better albums. The Wall, to name just one. 

PS 2: Also, I'm a big fan of the post-Waters era and even consider the 2 albums one of the best ones. And I don't give a damn what the majority says. Not that it has anything to do with the topic. :)

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell rock, ESPECIALLY Momentary Lapse

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Roger is a bonafide imbecile and bigot.

Putting it mildly. He's bevond ridiculous these days. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to dislike some of his music. And that in itself pisses me off. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 3:13 PM, username said:

Putting it mildly. He's bevond ridiculous these days. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to dislike some of his music. And that in itself pisses me off. 

Dark Side- The Wall will always be the masterpieces they rightfully are. They also exist due to the contributions of the other three. I don't care for any of his solo work, really, so no loss there to me. I give him credit as an artist though, he rightfully gets the "genius" title for those four records, alone. The lyrics are a big part of why they are what they are. Despite what he says, though, so is the music. Even Animals and The Wall would be drastically worse without Dave, Rick, and Nick. 

In fact, I would say I would like Animals just as much as I do now if Dogs and Sheep kept their original lyrics and names (You've Got to be Crazy and Raving and Drooling). The best parts on those albums imo are the spacey keyboards and Gilmour's guitar. 

Anyways, fuck Roger. The Wall was a killer show in 2010. Thanks for that, dickhead

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Dark Side- The Wall will always be the masterpieces they rightfully are. They also exist due to the contributions of the other four. I don't care for any of his solo work, really, so no loss there to me. I give him credit as an artist though, he rightfully gets the "genius" title for those four records, alone. The lyrics are a big part of why they are what they are. Despite what he says, though, so is the music. Even Animals and The Wall would be drastically worse without Dave, Rick, and Nick. 

In fact, I would say I would like Animals just as much as I do now if Dogs and Sheep kept their original lyrics and names (You've Got to be Crazy and Raving and Drooling). The best parts on those albums imo are the spacey keyboards and Gilmour's guitar. 

Anyways, fuck Roger. The Wall was a killer show in 2010. Thanks for that, dickhead

Very well put. And bonus points for what you said about Animals. 

Rog's solo works have their highlights though. Perfect Sense was a very unexpected highlight of the first Roger show I saw. And that's okay. But for example I really shouldn't have bought Is This The Life We Really Want as he was already going way off the deep end. It's just a shame when a great artist is reduced to this absolute tool. 

Roger's well and truly gone off the deep end these days sadly. I think it's probably more a case of his success over the last twenty years going to his head than a change of opinion or stance though. By all accounts he could be difficult to work with and has an ego the size of a multiverse but he did appear to be more humble and have mellowed with age post-Live 8. He's very much reverted to type these days though. 

It's a shame as he was my favourite artist as a kid and I got into his solo albums after seeing the Dark Side tour in 2006. Seeing him also made me interested in bass playing in addition to guitar playing. Seeing him go this way is crushing. The guy's just a mad bigoted idiot though. 

Seeing the way the Floyd guys have gone in later life re their relationship makes me happy that Guns got a happy ending. Slash and Axl friends again, playing huge venues and Axl seems to have really got himself together and mellowed and matured. I mean, there did seem to be a detente in the Floyd camp for a while. Back in 2011 when Gilmour guested at Waters' show Slash and Axl sharing a stage seemed an impossibility. Funny how things turn out! 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Speaking of crazy ol' Rog- I picked up a killer Roger Waters bootleg from the 80s called "Roger". Creepy cover of someone in "The Wall" student mask. It is killer! He had a great band. It is from the tour after he had Clapton but the lead guitarist does a great job. 

I have also picked up quite a few Floyd boot records over the past year and am eagerly awaiting an incredible "The Wall" boxset with two complete shows from the 1980 tour in LA. It looks like a must- have so I can't wait for it to arrive. Even comes with an exact replica tour program from the original 1980 tour. I need to dig out my Roger 2010 program someday. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Black said:

Very cool! I'll be seeing him in Rome.

You lucky duck. That’ll be incredible. Circus Maximus is in such an amazing location in Rome.

Still jealous of you seeing Zeppelin :P

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

You lucky duck. That’ll be incredible. Circus Maximus is in such an amazing location in Rome.

Still jealous of you seeing Zeppelin :P

Haha, we're both lucky!! It'll be my third time Gilmour, of whom I have a much stronger preference than Roger Waters. The Wall tour was incredible, but saw him another tour after that and his "message" was insufferable...

It's sad Zeppelin didn't tour after that show, more people should have been able to enjoy that chance. 

5 hours ago, The Black said:

Haha, we're both lucky!! It'll be my third time Gilmour, of whom I have a much stronger preference than Roger Waters. The Wall tour was incredible, but saw him another tour after that and his "message" was insufferable...

It's sad Zeppelin didn't tour after that show, more people should have been able to enjoy that chance. 

I saw Waters do The Wall in 2010 and it remains one of the best shows I have ever seen. I don’t even care if he mimed part of it. Haven’t seen Gilmour, yet!

I agree. I wasn’t there, but I listen to Celebration Day all the time. It’s my favorite concert 

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

Posted (edited)

Got tickets for Rome, wasn't that hard. Didn't try the weekend shows, went for Tuesday one immediately and got great seats. Prices were eyewatering but I don't care.

Seems it all sold out now, or some random solo tickets here and there

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Im pissed off about it. Now there's a Saturday NY show that works way better for me and if we waited my group could have also got cheaper Stubhub tickets and all sat together. Luckily, there is a ton of time to figure it out lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 2:25 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Im pissed off about it. Now there's a Saturday NY show that works way better for me and if we waited my group could have also got cheaper Stubhub tickets and all sat together. Luckily, there is a ton of time to figure it out lol

Yea....the problems of a dude that tours once a decade and then decides to do less than 10 shows in each country he hits....ekkk! 

I caught David 10 (!) times on the RTL tour thinking it would be the last time....it was looking that way, I had amazing seats for a couple and mostly opportunistic for the others....tickets often would open up a few days/week prior to said gig and there used to be a great DG blog that would help with heads up (that appears to have been closed) 

I didn't try this time, I think I've had my shot and as much as I'd expect him to play and do love the RAH, I think it's a shame he doesn't play elsewhere in the UK like he did on the OAI tour in 2006!

Those that got tickets and going....wish you an amazing night, he's a true legend and if you've never seen him, it honestly does feel totally different to any other gig you get to go to...like a total I'm so lucky buzz, as it's like catching an look at a rare animal in the wild! 

I'm sure like all recent releases, he'll film it all and release a nice boxset, so I'll look forward to that....in fact we had the RAH release, then we had Pompeii...I hope he films one of the USA ones this time, to give it some love or even a South America gig (when they get announced) as the crowds will sing every lick!

The set list has a chance of being quite interesting with the on-going feud with Waters meaning he doesn't want to touch Roger co-writes(or certainly sole credits) so I hope he picks at least one or two from his early solo albums and some deep cuts from Momentary, Division and maybe something from pre Darkside (Meddle or earlier) 

Thoughts on what you'd like from the set folks?

Edited by colonizedmind

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:57 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I saw Waters do The Wall in 2010 and it remains one of the best shows I have ever seen. I don’t even care if he mimed part of it. Haven’t seen Gilmour, yet!

I agree. I wasn’t there, but I listen to Celebration Day all the time. It’s my favorite concert 

The Wall in 2013 around the stadiums is still probably the most spectacular gig I've seen, from a spectacle point of view....absolutely what Roger devised in 1980 to be the ultimate immersion concert experience with the whole bring us in(front of stage performances) and shut us out (wall built) was so way ahead of its time. The projections were totally incredible and full of Roger's messages, so if you hate that, surprised you'd like this and not others...

I do get why some would hate, many would probably be turning up (until recent years) not quite prepared for that...but hey, I appreciate an artist doing something in your face and making a statement, doesn't happen a lot anymore in post-protest rock, least it's a talking point (even if you disagree with some of what he says - human rights for all is often the main crux and who doesn't agree with that? 🤔) post gig. It would of been nice after Live 8 to have at least one full set gig between the 4 or post 2008 the remaining 3....all we got were the charity evening with Roger and David and then David and Nick at one of the Wall shows (plus Roger and Nick recently I guess)...so at least Led Zep fans got a proper full live release and then a great proshot....

If Floyd had accepted silly money for charity to do a one off (or weekend of shows) with a full 2.5 hours set filmed, shortly post Live 8, that would of satisfied a lot and would have been a great bookend document before the resumption of all the agro, which as interesting as it can be, is quite sad and petty really....

Makes Axl and Slash seem like Mandela and Mother Theresa 

Edited by colonizedmind

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2024 at 11:40 AM, Seb91 said:

Roger's well and truly gone off the deep end these days sadly. I think it's probably more a case of his success over the last twenty years going to his head than a change of opinion or stance though. By all accounts he could be difficult to work with and has an ego the size of a multiverse but he did appear to be more humble and have mellowed with age post-Live 8. He's very much reverted to type these days though. 

It's a shame as he was my favourite artist as a kid and I got into his solo albums after seeing the Dark Side tour in 2006. Seeing him also made me interested in bass playing in addition to guitar playing. Seeing him go this way is crushing. The guy's just a mad bigoted idiot though. 

Seeing the way the Floyd guys have gone in later life re their relationship makes me happy that Guns got a happy ending. Slash and Axl friends again, playing huge venues and Axl seems to have really got himself together and mellowed and matured. I mean, there did seem to be a detente in the Floyd camp for a while. Back in 2011 when Gilmour guested at Waters' show Slash and Axl sharing a stage seemed an impossibility. Funny how things turn out! 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just like Roger is...except he has a much bigger platform to spout it than most (and he's utilising that position) which is not usual these days....every star has opinions but most will NEVER tell us,  as it's manager/PR rule #1 - don't alienate your listeners by telling them you're against war and death of cilivians....otherwise your management will drop you and half the world will think you've gone nuts...

I think if more people actually spoke their mind (on whatever) it wouldn't make folk like Waters seem like such an outlier and radical! He always was outspoken - not a recent thing (rightly or wrongly - it's just an opinion, he's entitled, so are you, so am I) and now at 80, he's hardly gonna become a shrinking violet. Humble has never really been in Roger's wheelhouse...but that's ok, Rockstar with an ego....Never! 

Some have kinda earned that right and I'll still look forward to his upcoming next solo LP...if you combine the last Waters and Gilmour albums with select cuts, you get a decent Frankensteined Floyd record 👍

Edited by colonizedmind

24 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

think you've gone nuts...

heh Roger was never a well adjusted man, quite far from it. he has talked about some of that stuff for example how he lost touch with reality for 15 minutes and then came back, etc.

it's not just thoughts imo, but like you said, it's nothing new. maybe amplified in recent years how nuts he is or seems to be. in contrast Gilmour seems like he's on the other side of the spectrum almost.

some people get worse with age. he was a musical genius though.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

heh Roger was never a well adjusted man, quite far from it. he has talked about some of that stuff for example how he lost touch with reality for 15 minutes and then came back, etc.

it's not just thoughts imo, but like you said, it's nothing new. maybe amplified in recent years how nuts he is or seems to be. in contrast Gilmour seems like he's on the other side of the spectrum almost.

some people get worse with age. he was a musical genius though.

Someone's nuts is another's visionary. God gives us nuts but he does not crack them...

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Someone's nuts is another's visionary. God gives us nuts but he does not crack them...

I just think certain circumstances in recent years has made Roger take himself too seriously, like he has been known to do in the past and self control was never his forte. I think he believes that he's a force of good in the world, despite some of his antics which I find ridiculous. I see him more of a musical visionary with a side of nuts.