Rumored Album Release Dates

The_Terminator

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to the owner of a great independent record store in Stevens Point, Wis., today, chatting about the state of the record industry. He started cussing out bands that do exclusive deals, like the Eagles with Wal-Mart, and then went off on AC/DC and then Guns N' Roses. I asked what he knew about GNR. To quote him: "After 10 years of people asking about that @#@# album, I won't even get to sell it." More specifically he said he has learned its a done deal with Best Buy and it's coming out at the end of October.

This is information we have heard before online, but this guy is completely computer illiterate and I'm guessing he got it from his distributor, where he gets info normally. I didn't press him for an exact source, as he was clearly upset by his inability to sell the album.

Just my opinion now, but all indie stores should be exempt from exclusive deals and allowed to sell the albums, while other chain dealers are excluded when such a deal is in place. These guys are underappreciated and the record industry should recognize their value instead of screwing them a new a@@hole.

This can only mean one thing......

Also why would he be upset?From what I understand most indie stores are paying like 12 bucks and up per new release meaning they have to sell them at like 15-17 bucks.Who is going to go there when they can go to Target or Best Buy and get them for 10 or less?

Edited by rancid punks

His father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate probably told him. :-P

No but seriously, since when is an indie store owner a source of information?

Last I checked the same thing was reported by Bob Lefsetz, a reliable source in the music industry reported the same thing. Hmm, ironic.

And no offense, A4I, I don't see a 2008 release unless it's before "Black Friday" in November. Best Buy would certainly advertise the shit out of it (assuming that deal is done) and a lot of people buy random music during that time, so in all areas it's a smart business move to release it then.

-Brodie

Edited by Brodie

your telling me a month and a half to promote and all that junk? ya right.

On point hitman..THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL that it will be in stores by late October...I'm not saying you're full of shit...but...well...

...maybe he's full of shit! It aint happening...

I have no idea of how the release of a record has to be but saying it´s coming out at the end of october is talking bullshit. First, it has to be an official announcement from the band and than all that promotions and stuff that, if I remember correctly, Axl said it takes 8 weeks aproximately.

There is always some indie or used record store owner that seem to "know it all". Back in 1999 or 2000, I visited a used record store in Lincoln Nebraska who's owner who stands about 5 feet tall. He knew a lot of things about a lot of bands. He could tell you the attendance of any show by any band. We started to talk about Chinese Democracy and he said, the album would be out in "2005 or 2010."

Seems like that guy is money.

doubt it

not enough time to promote it

and since we havent heard anything about Robin qutting, he'll still be in NIN then, so there won't be a tour 'til at the earliest Feb. they wouldnt realse it, then wait 3 months to tour

Why Not? U2 drops CDs in the fall but dont tour till spring.

Just cous something aint the standerd some still do it.

Guns really dont know what standerd means, in 91 the tour started long long before the CDs hit stores who does that?

Why Not? U2 drops CDs in the fall but dont tour till spring.

Just cous something aint the standerd some still do it.

Guns really dont know what standerd means, in 91 the tour started long long before the CDs hit stores who does that?

Not to mention the 'Chinese Democracy' tours they've already done.

Looks like they just picked the last Tuesday in November, but would make sense (don't we always say that :) )

Say date that MSL quoted a few weeks back. Would be a dream if it was true. Heres hoping we here something official when Rock Band II launches.

There is always some indie or used record store owner that seem to "know it all". Back in 1999 or 2000, I visited a used record store in Lincoln Nebraska who's owner who stands about 5 feet tall. He knew a lot of things about a lot of bands. He could tell you the attendance of any show by any band. We started to talk about Chinese Democracy and he said, the album would be out in "2005 or 2010."

Seems like that guy is money.

That's uncanny. I've seen this same guy out and about. His knowledge on rock music in general borders on the supernatural. I think he's some kind of rock n roll Yoda. You ask him about so-and-so, and he'll tell you what so-and-so had for breakfast. He's also been known to prowl the local bar scene, masquerading as some kind of flower salemans. I mean, who else just appears like a hawk in the night in some random watering hole toting a lil wicker basket full of roses? A guy who knows his shit, that's who. I dunno what the whole flower thing is about, but I think it's a front so nobody suspects he's got these mystical powers. Let's face it, if society knew a man could forsee the future in any capacity, our government would flip and probably turn him into a lab rat or force him into some kind of covert "remote viewing" operation for our military.

If he says 2005 or 2010, I wouldn't bet against it. In fact, I'm already planning my 2010 Chinese Democracy release party. If anybody on this forum happens to spot this guy, by all means please post, detailing your encounter. He's of very short stature and liable to get trampled in a crowded room, so you'll have to keep your gaze downward. He's been known to walk right under barstools. If you see him, you'll know. Don't be afraid to ask him questions either, but don't pry. If you overstep your boundaries and start digging into him for info, he'll get a bit skittish and avert the subject.

Maybe we could start another thread, solely for the purpose of talking more about this guy. I'm sure there's more of you out there that have ran into him. If "Da Illest" and myself have both been awestruck by his presence (and I'm on the east coast), then there's got to be countless others. I have a feeling we're on the brink of something big here folks. I'll keep in touch.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/20...nterstitialskip

Guns N' Roses / Chinese Democracy (Nov. 25, tentatively)

The transition: Axl Rose, the only founding GNR member still in the band, has been toiling 13 years on this opus, which evolved into an industry punch line (democracy will come to China before Chinese Democracy comes to the marketplace). Repeated delays, the singer's reclusiveness and a revolving roster of bandmates have raised doubts for a successful comeback by one of rock's former giants.

The mission: To prove that the wait was worthwhile and to restore Rose to critical and commercial prominence, a tall order considering Chinese is unlikely to meet impossibly high expectations or recoup recording costs. It may be the most expensive album ever recorded, with some estimates placing the tab at $13 million.

The ammunition: No music or complete track listing has been officially unveiled. While such early hints as Oh My God on the End of Days soundtrack suggested an industrial bent, Rose has promised a complex, stylistically diverse collection. Songs have surfaced live and online over the past few years, including nine recently leaked at antiquiet.com, where frenzied fan feedback ranged from "outstanding" to "horrible" before blogger Kevin "Skwerl" Cogill agreed to remove the tracks. One Chinese-destined song, Shackler's Revenge, will appear on the Rock Band 2 video game this month.