Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Watched a film which I think was called The Ruins or something like that. A bunch of plants on an Mexican pyramid attacked and ate people.

I haven't watched any films over the last few days, i got the entire Steptoe And Son box set so i have been exhausting that for now, then on to Love Thy Neighbour ( not many people will know what im talking about )

Steptoe and Son?!?!?! are you fucking kidding me, thats like my favorite fuckin show in the whole fuckin world...ever!!! That thing is written like...fuckin Shakespeare!!! What episodes do you dig the most man? :):)

I haven't watched any films over the last few days, i got the entire Steptoe And Son box set so i have been exhausting that for now, then on to Love Thy Neighbour ( not many people will know what im talking about )

Steptoe and Son?!?!?! are you fucking kidding me, thats like my favorite fuckin show in the whole fuckin world...ever!!! That thing is written like...fuckin Shakespeare!!! What episodes do you dig the most man? :):)

The one where Hercules dies and they replace him or the one where they split the house in two, not sure if you can get it in the US but for 8 seasons and xmas specials it was £26, now i don't care who you are thats some value

Stand By Me . . . .last night.

Classic.

It's hard to find a movie that actually makes you remember instances from your own childhood - but this movie captures that feeling sooo many times.

River Phoenix was incredible.

"Chopper. Sick Balls!!"

The one where Hercules dies and they replace him or the one where they split the house in two, not sure if you can get it in the US but for 8 seasons and xmas specials it was £26, now i don't care who you are thats some value

Yeah man, i ordered it when it came out from England, cost like 100 bucks but it was fuckin worth it!!!! :):) Have you watched em all yet?!?! Didja see the one where Harold gets that french girlfriend and she turns out to (i dont wanna spoil it but its called Steptoe A La Cart. And oh oh, the one where Harolds doin that big card game thing and his "buddies" are all tryna pull a fast one?!?!

People dont realise how invaluable that sitcom was to british television/comedy. i think John Sullivan who made Only Fools And Horses said he was inspired by the first episode of Steptoe & Son to start writing cuz it opened up the capabilities of comedy for him i.e. it has pathos and tragedy and comedy all rolled into one. If you think about it, thats what Steptoe & Son is at its heart...immensely tragic. I think the best art, the greatest art, high art if you will is that which perfectly observes and maintains that balance, the balance between comedy and tragedy...and NOTHING does it better than Steptoe & Son. Actually, if you watch Only Fools and Horses, a bit, the relationship between Del and Rodney is sort of like Albert and Harold...i've always thought this, Rodney and Harold and both reasonably or relatively young, they both dream of breaking out and they convince themselves that they are held back by Del/Albert but the truth is the few times they do try to break out its evident that they need the other like peanut butter needs jelly.

You should really watch When Steptoe Met Son, which is kind of a documentary on the show and it...makes certain episodes all the more poigniant and, to a degree, heartbreaking really...

I have watched them all now im going round again, i love the fact that Harold thinks he is being held back when the reality is Albert is far more able than him.I watched the card shark one today and its an example of what im saying.OFAH tends to take a lot from the Steptoe series, all though younger characters feel they are being held back the truth is they couldn't make it alone.Recently i was reading a bio on Harry H Corbett and it went into detail about their working relationship, shame they hated each other because they created what i consider to be the single greatest, highly racist in parts series ever made.No episode is flat or even predictable, the acting is perfect even Brambles constant slips and poor timing, which only really become evident from series 4 onwards. I haven't seen the doc but there was a kind of doc play recently called the curse of Steptoe which dealt with the relationships and ill fated tour of Australia

Its not a coinsidence i own every episode of OFAH, Porridge, Going Straight, Open all hours, all in the same vein

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

I have watched them all now im going round again

Tell me about it, i been round like 40 thousand. I dont even know how to explain this but...just beyond loving the show and thinking its hilairious i also have a great fondness for...images of England back then, the 60s and i don't mean that Swinging London Carnaby shit (which is cool but it aint what i'm talking about) just the streets back then, working class England, i have such an odd affection for it, i dunno if i was a limey in a past life or what but it just looks really...cosy and familiar in the strangest way...the 70s and all prior.

Edited by dirtylenny

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
That film sucked so bad. I fell asleep watching it, and I wasn't even tired.

I can't say that I fell asleep, but I really didn't enjoy it, so to say...

Watched a film which I think was called The Ruins or something like that. A bunch of plants on an Mexican pyramid attacked and ate people.

This might sound cliché but... the book is better. :)

Although I didn't think the movie was that bad.

Guest Apollo
Stand By Me . . . .last night.

Classic.

It's hard to find a movie that actually makes you remember instances from your own childhood - but this movie captures that feeling sooo many times.

River Phoenix was incredible.

"Chopper. Sick Balls!!"

I have a teenage son and over the past couple of years I've had him watch all the movies I grew up on.

And a lot of those movies do NOT stand the test of time. Andrew McCarthy, Molly Ringwall and Judd Nelson do not seem as cool now as they did when I was 14.

But one of the movies that is just as good today as it was 20 years ago, is Stand By Me.

River Phoenix should have been nominated.

Went on a bit of a spree.

Picked up

Cat in The Brain

Street Trash

The Beyond

Christmas Evil

The Fly Collection

Hellraiser 2 Hellbound 20 year anniversary editon.

If you haven't already. watch Street Trash. And i mean IMMEDIATELY. Its hilairious.

I watched it last night for the first time.

Reminded me of Brain Dead and C.H.U.D.