Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ep. 1 review is brilliant. But then the second one, while having some pretty good insights now and then, is just rehashing the first and the other stuff they throw in are way too over the top. The third one is completely redundant. Maybe it was intentional, parodying the movies themselves.

Lucas was more into the special effects than anything. He's more of a filmmaker than a director.

Of the original trilogy Lucas only directed A New Hope where, by all accounts, he did an absolutely terrible job. Apparently his directing consisted entirely of the words "faster" or "more intense". When he lost his voice the crew provided him with a board with just those three words written on it.

Lucas was more into the special effects than anything. He's more of a filmmaker than a director.

Of the original trilogy Lucas only directed A New Hope where, by all accounts, he did an absolutely terrible job. Apparently his directing consisted entirely of the words "faster" or "more intense". When he lost his voice the crew provided him with a board with just those three words written on it.

Truth. They even mention it in the "Empire of Dreams" documentary about the whole original trilogy. :lol:

I think Lucas is a great story writer but not necessarily a great story teller. He probably should have stuck to producing the prequel trilogy and got other directors. I get that he wanted total creative control, but he went way overboard on the special effects. Half of Episode 1 looks like a cut scene from a video game. The charm of say, the Hoth battle scene from The Empire Strikes Back is that you know those imperial walkers were actually real objects designed to function in front of the camera. At least they still used a puppet for Yoda in Episode 1, although they replaced it with a CGI Yoda in the Blu Ray/3D re-release for whatever reason.

In the book Lucas seems more interested in the toys and getting the best visual on screen. Just road testing his studio effects than the actually movie. He's more like a movie mogul. He wants to out sell Spielberg. He doesn't have aspirations to art with star wars. They pretty stock movies that follow almost a formula. No critics are like praising the movies. It's like wow they made x amount everyone loves them. I guess to him it's like because he got the visuals right. Beautiful and believable. But with things like Han Solos clothes he was meant to be like a Flash Gordon type out fit but Ford was like fuck that im just wearing a waistcoat and boots. so I wonder if Lucas really got lucky in a way.

If episode III had a different director and a script rewritten by a professional, it would have been the best film of the series.

You're probably right. The biggest thing I have to nitpick about Episode III is the dialogue. Not all of it, but mostly that between Padme and Anakin. It's cringe worthy and in desperate need of a polish.

If episode III had a different director and a script rewritten by a professional, it would have been the best film of the series.

You're probably right. The biggest thing I have to nitpick about Episode III is the dialogue. Not all of it, but mostly that between Padme and Anakin. It's cringe worthy and in desperate need of a polish.

Trudat. Considering Ep 3 was still considered "decent" with all the atrocious acting in it just goes to show how much potential that movie had.

Also, the same could be said about Ep 2. They just needed to cut down on the pretentiousness of it.

Edited by Superfuzz

lolno! Empire is one of the greatest movies ever made and nothing they could do could have polished that turd of a prequel to so it was even fit to lace Empire's boots!

wtf a remake of total recall. who green lights this shit?

I know what you mean. How low on ideas can they possibly be that they need to remake a movie that isn't even 25 years old?

I think I'll stick to my DVD copy of the real Total Recall.

That being said, it's one of those movies where I'll probably get dragged to see it with friends.

Ideas are so 20th Century. You just need the name and spend the rest on marketing. maybe just have Danny Devito trying to remember something. In 3D of course.

Lucas didnah even direct Empire. It was his divorce movie. He was like fuck this bitch Darth Vader wins. Then had to put ewoks in Jedi to win back the kids.

He blew up planets. Fuck Hitler this guy rules.

:rofl-lol:

Speaking of Star Wars and all that, I did watch Revenge of the Sith last night.

As awesome as it is to see Vader back in the suit, I wish they would have given him a bit more to say than "Noooooooooooooooooo!"

Titanic in 3D last night. The 3D looked good, probably the best post-conversion I've seen, but it wasn't mind blowing or anything. The best part was seeing this movie on the big screen. The sinking scenes still look awesome 15 years later.

Actually, the best 3D parts were right at the beginning during the ship exploration. It felt like you were actually looking out the window at the ship. For a Titanic buff like me, that was very cool.

Rose's boobs weren't 3D though. Very disappointing.

Titanic in 3D last night. The 3D looked good, probably the best post-conversion I've seen, but it wasn't mind blowing or anything. The best part was seeing this movie on the big screen. The sinking scenes still look awesome 15 years later.

Actually, the best 3D parts were right at the beginning during the ship exploration. It felt like you were actually looking out the window at the ship. For a Titanic buff like me, that was very cool.

Rose's boobs weren't 3D though. Very disappointing.

I wanted to see that. But I would rather bawl my eyes out in a movie in my own home instead of out in public :D haha