Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Park

Yeah, ballsy film. Lots of questionable stuff going on in that and pretty much all of Larry Clarks flims. Ever seen his movie Bully based off a true story? That movie is in my top 10.

Yep, I've seen Kids too.

Speaking of Larry Clarke, I finally saw Another Day in Paradise. Not as good as his other films, but I liked it. I think I've seen all his work now.

Edited by Lithium

Guest Len B'stard

Beauty and the Beast, sat down to watch it with the missus, was actually quite sweet y'know :lol: Do you ever find with birds that they expect you to compromise ALL the fuckin time and sit down and watch stuff that THEY like even though they know you don't, just for the sake of like, y'know, "do it for meee" and you do it and then when the shoes on the other foot and you're like, y'know, lets watch something you fuckin like it's always like, it's too scary, it sounds too sad, it sounds violent it sounds blah blah fucking blah. Apparently compromise is a one way street and it means do as she fuckin says or you might not get none later. Tis scandalous i tells ya, scandalous!

saw the avengers. didn't think it was nearly as great as everyone went on about it. i liked it, it was very funny but some parts dragged and the end fighting scenes just turned into a massive CGI mashup(michael bay style) that went on 10 minutes too long

maybe the movie was over hyped that raised my expectations too much

Beauty and the Beast, sat down to watch it with the missus, was actually quite sweet y'know :lol: Do you ever find with birds that they expect you to compromise ALL the fuckin time and sit down and watch stuff that THEY like even though they know you don't, just for the sake of like, y'know, "do it for meee" and you do it and then when the shoes on the other foot and you're like, y'know, lets watch something you fuckin like it's always like, it's too scary, it sounds too sad, it sounds violent it sounds blah blah fucking blah. Apparently compromise is a one way street and it means do as she fuckin says or you might not get none later. Tis scandalous i tells ya, scandalous!

Disney or Cocteau...oh, let me guess... :rofl-lol:

:lol: I was wondering the same thing.

Criterion has done a beautiful blu-ray treatment of Cocteau's.

Oh, Criterion...:wub: I got to see it in a theatre a few years ago, it's just achingly beautiful.

Edited by Angelica

picked up the Rushmore Criterion blu-ray. Definitely one of my top 10 movies from the 90s.

Nice!...haven't picked that up yet.

Criterion is doing a blu-ray treatment of Quadrophenia!

To be released in August.

Can NOT wait for that!

Oh, Criterion...:wub: I got to see it in a theatre a few years ago, it's just achingly beautiful.

I'd love to see that on the big screen...I can only imagine! :heart:

I went and saw The Avengers last night. This will be the last superhero movie (other than Batman) that I go to see. It was formulaic crap, with cheap laughs and monotonous action scenes that are too quick to take in with the human eye. And the 3D did nothing but add $5 to my ticket price.

Edited by Randy Lahey

they really ever use the 3D. at the beginning there was some shots of the stage. Roberto Downey Jr. got 50 mil for THe Avengers. 50 mil!!

That's insane. I actually thought the 3D made this movie even crappier. I should have gone to The Dictator instead.

Edited by Randy Lahey

they really ever use the 3D. at the beginning there was some shots of the stage. Roberto Downey Jr. got 50 mil for THe Avengers. 50 mil!!

That's insane. I actually thought the 3D made this movie even crappier. I should have gone to The Dictator instead.

Probably, I'm not sure how old you meant to be to watch this kind of thing. Marvel and comics is from the 70s? So it's for 40 year old kids? Actually the first time I saw it the glasses weren't clean or something so I couldn't see the screen very well. I suppose Batman will be better. But it's still dude in a mask. talking in a very preposterously deep voice.

Probably, I'm not sure how old you meant to be to watch this kind of thing. Marvel and comics is from the 70s? So it's for 40 year old kids? Actually the first time I saw it the glasses weren't clean or something so I couldn't see the screen very well. I suppose Batman will be better. But it's still dude in a mask. talking in a very preposterously deep voice.

Yeah, Bale's Batman voice is truly awful. With Nolan directing though, you know that the cinematography will at least be good. Prometheus is the only Summer movie that I have any expectations for.

Yeah, Bale's Batman voice is truly awful. With Nolan directing though, you know that the cinematography will at least be good. Prometheus is the only Summer movie that I have any expectations for.

It will be solid, Batman, but I probably prefer the first Burton one with Nicholson. I keep watching Inception over and over, I just like the music and how it's all put together. It's like a Sci-fi version of Mad Men.

Guest Len B'stard

Watched this 90 minute PBS documentary on the Prophet Muhammad. Was really good, really factual and historical and not overly biased in it's assessment of the facts of, y'know, the historical context of the Qu'ran and stuff. It's difficult to find good documentarys on faiths, especially when they are sponsored by the faith in question but this one was REALLY good :) Don't suppose anyones gonna wanna watch it but just in case :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ALduQCmkg

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

i've seen TONS of religious films and documentaries, i find that shit fascinating. I know The Ten Commandments by heart almost, the Charlton Heston movie i mean, i'm talking bout i could read for Vincent Price, Edward G Robinson, Yul Brynners parts. I find myself rooting for the bad guys though, which is quite silly :lol: I think it's something to do with the fact that the better actors play the bad guys, the actors i have baggage with. One of my favorite lines of cinema history is out of that film

Pharoahs General: He opens the waters before them....and he bars our way with fire...let us go Great One, men cannot fight against a God

Pharoah *imagine Yul Brynner accent* : Better to die in battle with God than live in shame!

Now in how many ways is that the most supremely evil concept in the world, from a believers perspective, it's just delicious :lol: Basically, he knows Gods God, he knows he ain't got a chance but he STILL don't give a fuck!

I think i identify with the wrong characters for the wrong reasons :lol: The Pharoah was the first badass! And Edward G Robinson, i love the expressiveness that he does his dialogue with, like, y'know, the disdain and disgust that he spits out the words with, it's brilliant! Or Vincent Price, with that indescribably beautiful voice of his, when he's captured Joshua and tied him up between those two pillars and he's whipping the fuck out of him and Joshuas like:

Joshua: One day you shall hear the cries of slaves in bondage

Vincent Price *sounding smug*: This is not that day Joshua...

*whips the fuck out of him* :lol:

He just makes it sound wonderfully and supremely evil.

i've seen TONS of religious films and documentaries, i find that shit fascinating. I know The Ten Commandments by heart almost, the Charlton Heston movie i mean, i'm talking bout i could read for Vincent Price, Edward G Robinson, Yul Brynners parts. I find myself rooting for the bad guys though, which is quite silly :lol: I think it's something to do with the fact that the better actors play the bad guys, the actors i have baggage with. One of my favorite lines of cinema history is out of that film

Pharoahs General: He opens the waters before them....and he bars our way with fire...let us go Great One, men cannot fight against a God

Pharoah *imagine Yul Brynner accent* : Better to die in battle with God than live in shame!

Now in how many ways is that the most supremely evil concept in the world, from a believers perspective, it's just delicious :lol: Basically, he knows Gods God, he knows he ain't got a chance but he STILL don't give a fuck!

I think i identify with the wrong characters for the wrong reasons :lol: The Pharoah was the first badass! And Edward G Robinson, i love the expressiveness that he does his dialogue with, like, y'know, the disdain and disgust that he spits out the words with, it's brilliant! Or Vincent Price, with that indescribably beautiful voice of his, when he's captured Joshua and tied him up between those two pillars and he's whipping the fuck out of him and Joshuas like:

Joshua: One day you shall hear the cries of slaves in bondage

Vincent Price *sounding smug*: This is not that day Joshua...

*whips the fuck out of him* :lol:

He just makes it sound wonderfully and supremely evil.

I just steer clear of anything to do with religion. Race with the Devil has Peter Fonda and some cult or something. Anything with religion it just brings up too many questions.