Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't. Fucking. Wait. I'm extra excited for Django Unchained, this'll be my first Tarantino move I'm seeing in theaters. I had wanted to go see Inglorious Basterds in theaters, but never got around to it...

Now that I think about, I suppose Inglorious Basterds was my first Tarantino movie in the theaters.

And it was great :D

Guest Len B'stard

Tarantinos a load of shit really. I'll always love him cuz for a while there, in the heady days of my YOOF, i was quite the fan but quite frankly, he makes movies about movies that are really simple and uninteresting that he tries to tell in a unique way while not allowing for the fact that the ideas he have are just not that interesting or unique. They're interesting i suppose. Dogs is the dogs, Pulp is brilliant, Jackie Brown is brillianter and he never found his feet since. Kill Bill? Overlong with very little actually going on. You can see the cracks with the Tarantino, Kill Bill is just a few overlong sequences tied together by a very shaky plot that doesn't warrant the length of the thing. You get the idea that the movie was more epic in Tarantino's vision than how it translated onto film. Death Proof was different and a welcome break, Inglorious was more of the same. A little tighter than Bill (only just but again, not exactly pronnouncedly).

What on earth is he gonna do with Django except ruin and old classic. What escapes some people is that, these B-movies, they aren't tragedies, it ain't a case of "oh if only they'd've had a bigger budget they coulda done something amazing, I KNOW, THE WEINSTEIN BROTHERS HAVE MONEY, LETS RE-DO IT!" Movies like Django...or Streetfighter...or Fist of Fury...or Death Rides a Horse, these movies were amazing FOR what they were, not in spite of what they were, they don't need touching up, they don't need the 21st Century makeover, get your own fuckin ideas, i know a man who does :D

On topic:

Watched like, most of the Werckmeister Harmonies, under the auspices of Flora The Magic Margarine Girl, fuckin fantastic. Didn't get to watch the last 20 mins cuz i had to go out but FUCK ME...thats what you call a fuckin film, original, dark, complex, fucking beautifully lit, it's some of the most compelling and inciteful cinema i've ever seen, it's seriously like...you leave the viewing like, brimming with ideas.

The movies basically about this town where this circus is coming to town, in the form of big fuck off stuffed whale and...it's difficult to explain but the presence of the whale, coupled with the general upheaval that this poor poverty stricken Hungarian villiage...it's symbolism of sorts although what exactly it symbolises is anyones guess, i guess we kinda take what we need from this kinda thing but anyway, it has a galvanising effect and you can just feel like...something brimming throughout the movie, it's weird, it's like a build up and you just feel this movie boiling and boiling and boilling...didn't get to watch the end but i REALLY wanna...learned a bit on music theory into the bargain too, honestly, what more could you ask for? A free lolly with every copy purchased maybe?

I heard great things about that one before, but I was scared off by the sheer length of it. But if you rate it that highly, maybe I'll check it out. The longest film I've ever seen was Novecento, clocking in at like 5 hours I think, and I thought that was a beautiful film that I thoroughly enjoyed

Honestly man, you need to fuckin get on that film, it's seriously one of the most brilliant things i've seen, honestly, i wish i had the time to watch it again, i will do at some point and as you can imagine it ain't the softest bite to chew but it's fuckin worth it. In fact, i'm on film three of this dudes filmography (third one i've watched not third one in order, i ain't that fuckin mental) Family Nest, Satantango and Werckmeister Harmonies and honestly, i know everyone always says this shit but one is literally better than the one before. Family Nest is brilliant but it's tight and taut and mostly handheld and very much a character piece. All film has film technique i guess but it's either technique over charactertisation or characterisation of technique and Family Nest is the latter. Very much like Cassavetes, if you love Cassavetes, you'll love this movie. Satantango is just like a fucking saga, an opus, it's brilliant and beautiful and sprawling and it goes in SOO many different directions at once that, quite frankly, firstly you can't take your eyes off it because you WILL miss something and secondly it almost demands repeat viewing. Werckmeister is like...more concise, it does something similar to Satantango i think but it's more precise and less obvious in it's intent.

The lighting in Werckmeister alone is like a masters thesis for some film student out there, it's just fuckin beautiful...and that monochrome black and white, fuck..

Yeah, get on Satantango though man, definitely!

Edited by sugaraylen

Tarantino hasn't disappointed yet. Can't wait for Django.

Really? What about Death Proof?

Death Proof and Kill Bill Vol. 1 are the only Tarantino movies I don't absolutely love.

Saw Prometheus last night. Sci-fi as it should be made.

Can't wait to see it, going tomorrow in IMAX :D

Tarantino makes great trailers but not so great films. I don't mind films with a lot of talk as long it is not about obscure 70's films and foot massages.

Was Prometheus a prequel to Alien? I have to say I don't think any of the Alien films topped the first one. Camerons Aliens was fun but it took away the terror of the first film.

Death Proof and Kill Bill Vol. 1 are the only Tarantino movies I don't absolutely love.

I'd love to see Prometheus in IMAX, but I'm not driving 50 minutes to the closest theater to see it :(

As far as QT goes, there hasn't been a bad movie he's directed. Death Proof was really good, in my opinion, and I loved Kill Bill 1 & 2.

Bacardi is right, he hasn't disappointed yet.

Also, Prometheus isn't a prequel to Alien.

I've read about a quarter of the DJANGO script, just enough to know it read well enough that I wanted to see it instead. I did the same thing with Inglorious Basterds, never got past the opening Waltz scene.

Just like Inglorious Basterds, this looks like a neat piece of material with a shitty, unexciting trailer. I was prepared to snore through the film based on the promotional material.

I'd love to see Prometheus in IMAX, but I'm not driving 50 minutes to the closest theater to see it :(

As far as QT goes, there hasn't been a bad movie he's directed. Death Proof was really good, in my opinion, and I loved Kill Bill 1 & 2.

Bacardi is right, he hasn't disappointed yet.

Also, Prometheus isn't a prequel to Alien.

The only reason I don't like Kill Bill 1 is because theres just not enough plot to it. I still watch it occasionally because I enjoy the gratuitous violence, but the second film blows it away.

Even though Prometheus isn't a direct prequel to Alien, I still got plenty giddy seeing some familiar sights in the trailer for it :)

The problem with Tarantino is that he cannot relate to ANYTHING or express ANYTHING outside of how much he loves the films he cut his teeth on. So you have this extraordinary technical skill, and these supernatural cinematic instincts...which are entirely devoted to paying homage to his favourite films and genres. I used to think he was too cowardly to express a genuinely personal vision, I have since come to believe that this *is* the closest thing he can muster to a personal vision (I'm pretty sure he's autistic to a degree). His films are all fantastic in their own ways, but totally hollow and it shits me when people confuse what he does (which is basically the cinematic equivalent of sampling) with genuinely great filmaking.

Having said that, I am entirely amped for Django cause I'm an Exploitation/Blaxploitation nerd, and I do expect him to bring his AAA game to that shit.

I was awed by Prometheus, but I'm having doubts now. I need to see it again.

Edited by Angelica

Guest Len B'stard
His films are all fantastic in their own ways, but totally hollow and it shits me when people confuse what he does (which is basically the cinematic equivalent of sampling) with genuinely great filmaking.

Thank you, yes, fuckin spot on!

I've seen every film he's released in the cinema except Dogs and Pulp Fiction cuz i weren't fuckin old enough but all the rest i've seen in the cinema but i can't be arsed with fuckin Sukiyaki Terror Django Unchained and Remixed, sounds like a load of fuckin gash.

And whats blaxploitation got to do with Django, Django's a fuckin western. Exploitation i guess? Borderline..

The problem with Tarantino is that he cannot relate to ANYTHING or express ANYTHING outside of how much he loves the films he cut his teeth on. So you have this extraordinary technical skill, and these supernatural cinematic instincts...which are entirely devoted to paying homage to his favourite films and genres. I used to think he was too cowardly to express a genuinely personal vision, I have since come to believe that this *is* the closest thing he can muster to a personal vision (I'm pretty sure he's autistic to a degree). His films are all fantastic in their own ways, but totally hollow and it shits me when people confuse what he does (which is basically the cinematic equivalent of sampling) with genuinely great filmaking.

Having said that, I am entirely amped for Django cause I'm an Exploitation/Blaxploitation nerd, and I do expect him to bring his AAA game to that shit.

I was awed by Prometheus, but I'm having doubts now. I need to see it again.

why should this matter? if it's a good movie it's a good movie.

Do you feel the same way about the old star wars movies and indiana jons? alot of stuff in those films where just homage to old movies so just because of that it doesn't mean it can't be original in some other way.