Film Thread

ssiscool

Watched 21 Jump Street yesterday. Definitely Ice Cube's best role since Dough Boy.

Just saw that too. It was good, I was possibly surprised. Cube was good, but I wouldn't say it was his best since Dough Boy. Look at my sig brah.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot about Friday.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some fuckin 80s teen movie called Can't Buy Me Love about this dork who pays the fit bird in town a grand to be his girl for the month...not shagging or anything, that'd just be sinister, just be seen with him y'know, make him popular and that :lol:

Sounds like David Copperfield and Cindy Crawford.

Interesting, the gulf good looks-wise between the aforementioned fit bird and dork is comparable to the gulf good looks-wise between Cindy Crawford and David Copperfield :lol:

On topic:

The Game of Death - Starring Bruce Lee (sort of)

Not to mention the fact of Copperfield and Crawford's romance being a sham where he simply paid her a lot of money to hang out and pretend they were together.

Ever notice how far apart they tended to stand? I thought she had big shoes on or something.

She didn't have big shoes, but she did have really poor feminine hygiene.

Edited by PappyTron

Burning Palms. It's on Netflix.

Worth a watch.

It's five shorts, just all a little bit weird and creepy and funny.

It won't be the greatest movie you've ever watched, but at least it is a little different than the typical hollywood movie where two minutes into it you know the exact plot the rest of the movie. Two people from different worlds who initially hate each other somehow fall in love (one of them will have a quirky friend, one will have a friend who is either a bitch or a stoner).........then the guy doesn't something bad and they break up..........but then they overcome all the odds and get back together at the end.

One is about the aftermath of a gf sticking her finger up her bf's rearend during sex.........one is about a dad and his 16-year-old daughter being a little too close and how his gf reacts.

Has quite a few B-level stars in it

Paz Vega

Dylan McDermont

Zoe Saldana

Lake Bell

Emily Meade

Here is the description:

In Santa Monica, a woman becomes alarmingly concerned over her fiancé's unnaturally close relationship with his teenage daughter.

In Westwood, a sexual act turns into a psychological obsession for a young woman.

In West Hollywood, a gay couple buys a young daughter and attempts to mold her to fit their lifestyle.

In Holmby Hills, maladjusted kids and their equally maladjusted mother play murderous games.

In Sherman Oaks, a rape victim faces her violator.

In these five stories, one thing is clear, everything is taken to extremes in California.

Agreed on the Scottish chick being absolutely horrendous, she spoke in a way no Scottish person would, basically the way Scottish actors are trained to speak so that English/American people can understand them:

She desperately needed to watch that...

As for the Geologist/Biologist, if I recall correctly they weren't informed on what the nature of the mission would be before they joined up, so I think they had every right to be freaked out once they were exposed to what was happening. The Geologist was freaked out by the cobra and wanted to get the fuck away, it was the biologist's naivety and passion for animals that saw him touching it... Having said that, Fyfefield was a ridiculously one-dimensional character and as soon as he said "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money." Me and my friend turned to each other and were like "well, he's dead."

I think David poisoning Holloway did actually make sense in the context of the series and his particular character, he was intrigued... fascinated even, by what the Engineers were developing within the complex and wanted to experiment with it to discover what its purpose was. So, after obliquely obtaining Holloway's permission he set about doing just that. This shows the problems with the early development of Androids and their cold, inhuman nature whereby they have no consideration for harming human beings if it is a means to a particular end, something which was continued with Ash in Alien and then rebuked with Bishop in Aliens.

Just my thoughts.

I thought David poisioned Holloway in revenge for the "We built you because we could" comment. So an android commiting an act of revenge didn't quite add up. So yeah good point, intrigue makes a lot more sense than anger.

Yeah Fyfefield, and most of the supporting cast, were very one dimensional. One of the reasons I was a bit dissapointed with Promethus as a whole was that I was hoping for more of a sci fi epic instead of the typical "Now watch as everyone but the protagonist dies" horror pattern.

Agreed on the Scottish chick being absolutely horrendous, she spoke in a way no Scottish person would, basically the way Scottish actors are trained to speak so that English/American people can understand them:

As for the Geologist/Biologist, if I recall correctly they weren't informed on what the nature of the mission would be before they joined up, so I think they had every right to be freaked out once they were exposed to what was happening. The Geologist was freaked out by the cobra and wanted to get the fuck away, it was the biologist's naivety and passion for animals that saw him touching it... Having said that, Fyfefield was a ridiculously one-dimensional character and as soon as he said "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to make money." Me and my friend turned to each other and were like "well, he's dead."

I think David poisoning Holloway did actually make sense in the context of the series and his particular character, he was intrigued... fascinated even, by what the Engineers were developing within the complex and wanted to experiment with it to discover what its purpose was. So, after obliquely obtaining Holloway's permission he set about doing just that. This shows the problems with the early development of Androids and their cold, inhuman nature whereby they have no consideration for harming human beings if it is a means to a particular end, something which was continued with Ash in Alien and then rebuked with Bishop in Aliens.

Just my thoughts.

I thought David poisioned Holloway in revenge for the "We built you because we could" comment. So an android commiting an act of revenge didn't quite add up. So yeah good point, intrigue makes a lot more sense than anger.

Yeah Fyfefield, and most of the supporting cast, were very one dimensional. One of the reasons I was a bit dissapointed with Promethus as a whole was that I was hoping for more of a sci fi epic instead of the typical "Now watch as everyone but the protagonist dies" horror pattern.

Well, I do like posting in these spoiler tags for one!

It has also been suggested it was something he was intended to do, as part of the corporation - but that isn't implicitly stated, only implied - and I think that's for you to make up your own mind. That comment did stick in my mind, but as someone who is supposed to be subservient and lacking in "soul", I don't know if it would be a case of doing it out of 'free will'. Then again, given that's one of the tropes of the series, who knows?

I did actually like Fyfefield, I enjoyed that - even if predictable, because he did add touches of humour. Coming back for revenge was pretty cool too - again, if predictable.

I personally felt it did do more of the epic overarching than horror, but was a good balance. I did very much like the film overall though.

Just my thoughts.

It has also been suggested it was something he was intended to do, as part of the corporation - but that isn't implicitly stated, only implied - and I think that's for you to make up your own mind. That comment did stick in my mind, but as someone who is supposed to be subservient and lacking in "soul", I don't know if it would be a case of doing it out of 'free will'. Then again, given that's one of the tropes of the series, who knows?

I did actually like Fyfefield, I enjoyed that - even if predictable, because he did add touches of humour. Coming back for revenge was pretty cool too - again, if predictable.

I personally felt it did do more of the epic overarching than horror, but was a good balance. I did very much like the film overall though.

In all fairness though...there's hasn't been hardly a trace of the horror element to any movies in the Alien universe since Alien :shrugs:

RE: David, I sort of thought he was ordered by Weyland to experiment with the capsule, as that did follow the scene where he talks with Weyland while he's in hyper sleep. I don't know if he was actually ordered to experiment on Halloway, but I did find it interesting that Halloway was the only one who acted as if he was "above" David, and he was poisoned by David. Could this have been before androids learned total obedience and had a shed of free will? My mom disagreed, she thought it was more along the lines of a "Halloway said he'd do anything, so David killed him since the Engineers were thought to be extinct" scenario.

I've also done some research on my own in the past few days on the links between Alien et al and Prometheus. Don't expand this section unless you want to know these connections before a potential Prometheus 2 comes out:

- Prometheus predates Alien by approximately 30 years. Despite no full date being mentioned in any of the movies, the Nostromo is said to have landed on LV-426 in 2122. This aligns with Ripley's mention of '79 in Aliens; 2179 would be 57 years later.

- Ridley Scott has confirmed at some point recently that the Engineer ship on LV-426 was a bomber-class vessel, presumably carrying eggs as a biochemical weapon.

- The Engineer at the beginning of Prometheus was self-sacrificial, and when he dissolved he seeded the Earth with Engineer DNA; this event led to human life.

- The Proto-Xenomorph at the end of Prometheus is not exactly the same as the the warrior-class Xenomorphs seen in Alien(s). It is unclear if this is because the Engineer was impregnated by the Trilobite rather than the Facehugger, or for other reasons. The key difference is the Proto-Xenomorph doesn't have the same inner jaw structure as a warrior Xenomorph. It should be assumed though that the warrior Xenomorphs have existed before though, due to the murals in the ship on LV-223.

There is plenty more speculation as to what the Engineers' role in the universe was, their contact with the Yatujas (i.e. Predators), and more. But the above info seems to be certain ;)

yodawg.jpg

Just my thoughts.

In all fairness though...there's hasn't been hardly a trace of the horror element to any movies in the Alien universe since Alien :shrugs:

RE: David, I sort of thought he was ordered by Weyland to experiment with the capsule, as that did follow the scene where he talks with Weyland while he's in hyper sleep. I don't know if he was actually ordered to experiment on Halloway, but I did find it interesting that Halloway was the only one who acted as if he was "above" David, and he was poisoned by David. Could this have been before androids learned total obedience and had a shed of free will? My mom disagreed, she thought it was more along the lines of a "Halloway said he'd do anything, so David killed him since the Engineers were thought to be extinct" scenario.

I've also done some research on my own in the past few days on the links between Alien et al and Prometheus. Don't expand this section unless you want to know these connections before a potential Prometheus 2 comes out:

- Prometheus predates Alien by approximately 30 years. Despite no full date being mentioned in any of the movies, the Nostromo is said to have landed on LV-426 in 2122. This aligns with Ripley's mention of '79 in Aliens; 2179 would be 57 years later.

- Ridley Scott has confirmed at some point recently that the Engineer ship on LV-426 was a bomber-class vessel, presumably carrying eggs as a biochemical weapon.

- The Engineer at the beginning of Prometheus was self-sacrificial, and when he dissolved he seeded the Earth with Engineer DNA; this event led to human life.

- The Proto-Xenomorph at the end of Prometheus is not exactly the same as the the warrior-class Xenomorphs seen in Alien(s). It is unclear if this is because the Engineer was impregnated by the Trilobite rather than the Facehugger, or for other reasons. The key difference is the Proto-Xenomorph doesn't have the same inner jaw structure as a warrior Xenomorph. It should be assumed though that the warrior Xenomorphs have existed before though, due to the murals in the ship on LV-223.

There is plenty more speculation as to what the Engineers' role in the universe was, their contact with the Yatujas (i.e. Predators), and more. But the above info seems to be certain ;)

yodawg.jpg

This is great fun. I really hope no one reads these though if they don't want to know about the film...

Again, interesting - potential varients. I guess that motive may become clearer when David's character is expanded throughout the next (or potentially next two) films.

Good research! Although - I knew all bar the second point (which I had inferred, but didn't know!) - but then I'm a big Alien fan. The links with Predator, and how it will all come together, are great. Looking forward to it!

some fuckin 80s teen movie called Can't Buy Me Love about this dork who pays the fit bird in town a grand to be his girl for the month...not shagging or anything, that'd just be sinister, just be seen with him y'know, make him popular and that :lol:

Interesting, the gulf good looks-wise between the aforementioned fit bird and dork is comparable to the gulf good looks-wise between Cindy Crawford and David Copperfield :lol:

On topic:

Not to mention the fact of Copperfield and Crawford's romance being a sham where he simply paid her a lot of money to hang out and pretend they were together.

Ever notice how far apart they tended to stand? I thought she had big shoes on or something.

Just to butt in...you mean Claudia Schiffer. Cindy Crawford was with Richard Gere. And shes still hot as fuck.

On topic:

Just to butt in...you mean Claudia Schiffer. Cindy Crawford was with Richard Gere. And shes still hot as fuck.

Ah yes; Schieffer. Ta muchly.

Just saw Short Cuts, and loved it. Angelica, wanna recommend me some Altman? I remember you mentioning Nashville a couple of times.

Hell yeah! Aside from Nashville (which is my favourite film)...MASH, Brewster McCloud, McCabe & Mrs Miller, 3 Women, The Player, The Long Goodbye...he made several genuine masterpieces (arguably more than any American director besides Woody Allen, but like Allen, there are some clunkers in there too).

Saw Prometheus. The first scene was the best and it slowly trailed on after that. Imagining this lone soul on a desolate version of earth seemed like the beginning of a cool Tool video. Stringer was the best character and the acting of Fassbender was great.

Edited by AbominableHoman

Just saw Short Cuts, and loved it. Angelica, wanna recommend me some Altman? I remember you mentioning Nashville a couple of times.

Hell yeah! Aside from Nashville (which is my favourite film)...MASH, Brewster McCloud, McCabe & Mrs Miller, 3 Women, The Player, The Long Goodbye...he made several genuine masterpieces (arguably more than any American director besides Woody Allen, but like Allen, there are some clunkers in there too).

:heart:

Guest Len B'stard

:heart:

Your mate Arnies in the long goodbye too. he turns up as a heavy i think, for like 8 seconds...don't get no dialogue or something, basically this blokes putting the screws on...oh whats his face, the main character, i keep thinkin' Sam Spade :rofl-lol: , whatever, anyway, that guy, and yeah he basically makes everyone in the room strip down to their undies (which kinda helps with the intimidation factor, being built as AHHHNOLT was). Quite funny really, he looks a bit lost, with his red speedos on :lol:

if i'm not mistaken Sterling Haydens in it too, whoose one of my favorite actors of all time.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Gotta rate him though man, austrian teenager, goes across the world with a few quid in pocket, ends up the fuckin Muhammad Ali of bodybuilding, gets himself a degree, becomes the biggest Hollywood star of his time (or one of em at least, i dunno the fuckin' numbers) and the governer of California, all the while the rest of the world taking the piss out of him for being a thick cunt. I mean i'm not the blokes biggest fan but you gotta respect that.

Of course, it's amazing what he accomplished. When he decided to quit bodybuilding and pursue an acting career, he took a shitload of acting classes, even accent removal classes, so you can't say he didn't do his best. In fact, you can't say he didn't do his best in any aspect of his life - definitely a huge inspiration to me.

Guest Len B'stard

And there's no avoiding the fact that, despite the fact that he's not like, y'know, fuckin Marlon Brando but he does have a certain amount of charisma, you just can't sustain that kind of popularity if there ain't something to ya. It reminds me of an old uncle of mine that i reccomended a film too (i believe the film was My Name is Nobody, Sergio Leone) i thought he'd love it cuz he loved the dollars movies etc but he didn't and i was like why and he's like, y'know, i come from an older...type of audience and i like to see films with stars, the kind of stars like Charles Bronson or Yul Brynner or Steve McQueen that you just waited for them to come on screen and when they do, you cheer, Arnie has a touch of that to him, i think it's dismissive of people (don't mean you, i mean generally) to completely write off the guys abilities as an actor because for what it's worth, for a period there, movies like Red Heat, Commando, Preadator, True Lies, The Terminatorses, Conan, Raw Deal, he does kinda light up the screen if that makes sense.

It's almost sacrilige from my perspective to be comparing Arnie and people like Steve McQueen and Bronson etc and...i'm not calling them equals but i mean, just that particular quality of...filling up the screen as it were.

People sneer at this stuff but a lot of it has to do with physical strength i think. Richard Burton once said that a truly weak man cannot be a leading man because, y'know, when you're "weak", it affects your posture, it affects how imposing you are on-screen, you don't fill up the frame as well. It's why we don't have those sorts of leading men anymore cuz it's much more like, y'know, girls like skinny boys these days apparently. Eastwood, Robert Mitchum as well as the aforementioned, these were all strong imposing men and it really makes a difference i think, natural strength and dense bone structure i mean, not like, y'know, any old fucker juicing up and becoming some kind of screen legend, you gotta look comfortable and natural with it too.