Film Thread

ssiscool

I agree, most of the films he was in would have been completely rubbish if it wasn't for the fact that he partook in them. If you've seen the 70s bodybuilding documentary Pumping Iron, you can see that he was an incredibly charismatic and intelligent person. He brought that charisma to the screen with him, but I don't think that even if he was a a great actor, he still wouldn't have been taken seriously because of the stigma of being that big.

Edited by Lithium

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, most of the films he was in would have been completely rubbish if it wasn't for the fact that he partook in them. If you've seen the 70s bodybuilding documentary Pumping Iron, you can see that he was an incredibly charismatic and intelligent person. He brought that charisma to the screen with him, but I don't think that even if he was a a great actor, he still wouldn't have been taken seriously because of the stigma of being that big.

I have it, almost as an aside it highlights the relationship between him and Lou, although there is a respect there is a huge level of competitiveness on Lou and his fathers part I didnt feel coming from Arnie. It's a brilliant doc and must viewing. Arnie is a funny guy as shown in Pumping Iron but Lou, not so much.

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

I have it, almost as an aside it highlights the relationship between him and Lou, although there is a respect there is a huge level of competitiveness on Lou and his fathers part I didnt feel coming from Arnie. It's a brilliant doc and must viewing. Arnie is a funny guy as shown in Pumping Iron but Lou, not so much.

It's important to note that it's a docu-drama, though, and that a lot of what happened in that film was staged. The way Lou's father pushed him for instance - in reality he was barely even involved with his son's training. The creators wanted two stark contrasts to base the film on, and they chose Arnold and his happy and confident personality and his training in sunny California, and Lou, a guy that maybe wasn't as confident yet equally hungry, who was training in this dark, dungeon of a gym in New York.

They reveal it all in this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKsS0vt7C0

Edited by Lithium

It's important to note that it's a docu-drama, though, and that a lot of what happened in that film was staged. The way Lou's father pushed him for instance - in reality he was barely even involved with his son's training. The creators wanted two stark contrasts to base the film on, and they chose Arnold and his happy and confident personality and his training in sunny California, and Lou, a guy that maybe wasn't as confident yet equally hungry, who was training in this dark, dungeon of a gym in New York.

They reveal it all in this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKsS0vt7C0

I genuinely didn't know that Lith, thank you for giving me a reason to watch it again. Funny how things like that can almost help you find something again.

Guest Gunns

Pumping iron is great, you could see Arnold as a star in the making.

Start wide,

expand further and

never look back.

Rock of Ages is pretty much as horrible as the trailer suggested it was. Cruise is solid and reasonably interesting but he's only on screen for 25 minutes or so. The rest of the time you're stuck with that Dancing with the Stars chick and a wet rag of a male lead who I'm happy to say I didn't recognize. There are a few awesomely surreal moments (Mary J. Blige singing Every Rose Has it's Thorn cheif among them), but overall it's pants.

Prometheus- I enjoyed it, the start was a little slow but once it got into it, it was good. I expected a little more action though, dunno why. Good movie though.

Granted, all of the Alien movies start slow too :tongue2:

I got dragged into seeing it for a third time yesterday, still loved it. This is the first movie I've seen more than once in theaters in Return Of The King!

Just saw Short Cuts, and loved it. Angelica, wanna recommend me some Altman? I remember you mentioning Nashville a couple of times.

Hell yeah! Aside from Nashville (which is my favourite film)...MASH, Brewster McCloud, McCabe & Mrs Miller, 3 Women, The Player, The Long Goodbye...he made several genuine masterpieces (arguably more than any American director besides Woody Allen, but like Allen, there are some clunkers in there too).

Saw Nashville last night and loved that one too. :) It's your favourite film, huh? I can't remember you ever talking much about country music on here, so I'm guessing your love for it is due to the plot and film itself?

Rock of Ages is pretty much as horrible as the trailer suggested it was. Cruise is solid and reasonably interesting but he's only on screen for 25 minutes or so. The rest of the time you're stuck with that Dancing with the Stars chick and a wet rag of a male lead who I'm happy to say I didn't recognize. There are a few awesomely surreal moments (Mary J. Blige singing Every Rose Has it's Thorn cheif among them), but overall it's pants.

I love the stretch of character Russel Brand had to play in the film.

How was Giamatti, I always find him great no matter what.

How was Giamatti, I always find him great no matter what.

He was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it - however cheesy it may be!

Saw Nashville last night and loved that one too. :) It's your favourite film, huh? I can't remember you ever talking much about country music on here, so I'm guessing your love for it is due to the plot and film itself?

Yeah, it's definitely the film itself. I saw it when I was about 15 and just starting to identify myself as a film nerd. Having said that, this song is quite lovely -

Yeah, I loved the Brand/Baldwin stuff. The main stuff, not so much.

Guest Len B'stard
Yeah, it's definitely the film itself. I saw it when I was about 15 and just starting to identify myself as a film nerd.

yeah, nerd being the operative word :lol: