Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-watched 'Oldboy' last night. Just perfect, mind-blowing, THE Korean masterpiece.

That was such a mindfuck the first time I saw it.

By the way, have you seen JSA? it's also directed by Park Chan Wook. That one and Oldboy are my favourite Korean films.

Re-watched 'Oldboy' last night. Just perfect, mind-blowing, THE Korean masterpiece.

That was such a mindfuck the first time I saw it.

By the way, have you seen JSA? it's also directed by Park Chan Wook. That one and Oldboy are my favourite Korean films.

Yes, amazing film. Park is a master, his short in Three Extremes is awesome.

I feel like you don't enjoy movies anymore, Randy. :(

Moonrise Kingdom has been the only movie I've seen this year that I really enjoyed. I also liked The Master, but I think most people will hate it.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Moonrise Kingdom has been the only movie I've seen this year that I really enjoyed. I also liked The Master, but I think most people willl hate it.

I understand what you're saying, but a movie has to be pretty shit for me to at least not be entertained. Looper, Dredd 3D, Expendables 2 - They were all good.

I mean, I read about people saying "Taken 2 was shit! Utter bollocks!" and shit like that, and I think "Really? It was shit?". I mean fuck, I haven't seen it yet, but I knew it was practically the same as the first when I saw the trailer but Liam Neeson kicking different peoples asses, and that's OK with me, because I know I'll love it.

I don't always go into a movie to be impressed and just "wowed" - I go to be entertained and "live" things that I can't, which is what most movies do.

Moonrise Kingdom has been the only movie I've seen this year that I really enjoyed. I also liked The Master, but I think most people willl hate it.

I understand what you're saying, but a movie has to be pretty shit for me to at least not be entertained. Looper, Dredd 3D, Expendables 2 - They were all good.

I've probably seen a lot more movies than you; stuff like that doesn't really cut if for me anymore.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Aww, I think it's time to officially recognize that Randy is now an infinitely bigger grouch than me!

Stuff I loved this year: Cabin in the Woods, Damsels in Distress, Bernie, Moonrise Kingdom, Elena, Alps, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Looper, Holy Motors. At this point, the last three listed are my top three of the year.

Stuff I liked this year: The Grey, 21 Jump St, The Avengers, Snow White, Safety Not Guranteed, Side by Side, On the Road, Ted, Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises, Killer Joe, 2 Days in New York, The Tall Man, Arbitrage

Stuff I still havent seen but assume will end up on the loved list: The Master, Argo.

Edited by Angelica

I saw Argo last night. It's a mediocre political thriller at best. Save your money and download episodes of Homeland instead. And Ben Affleck is still a shitty actor.

He's getting quite good at directing though. I really liked John Goodman's line in the film "you can teach a rhesus monkey to direct..." Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Loved the soundtrack too. Some great 70's jams found there way into that film.

Watched the 2010 Kino restoration of Metropolis tonight as an extra-curricular for one of my classes. I've never been much of a silent movie kind of guy but this one surprisingly held my interest over the two and a half hours. If you're into expressionist films and the silent era, I'd recommend it. Apparently there's an 80's version with pop and rock songs for the soundtrack instead of an orchestral score. I might try to track that down.

Anyone seen Looper? I might go see that this week.

just saw it, I found I enjoyed taken 2 a lot more however for what it was as a concept, it achieved it however it could of been better and the ending could of felt more complete