Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else went to see Man of Steel yet?

Did you catch the religious fervor built into the movie? There's a particularly Christlike scene where Crowe is saying to Henry Cavill who is playing Superman something along the lines of only you have the power to save them at which point Superman floats out of the spaceship in a very Christesque way.

Also, did you notice the satellite General Zod destroys in a particular fight scene? It clearly depicts Wayne Enterprises which is obviously Snyder creating the foundations of his Justice League.

tumblr_moig5tj24T1qdzgcno1_1280.jpg

Edited by NGOG

How did you even spot that? BTW, how do you post spoilers?

I'm a big fan of superhero movies and the directors always include little 'easter eggs' to make way for the introduction of certain characters in the future. As well as watching the actual movie I always have fun seeing the little references and openers. There is also, and obviously this is not a spoiler for anybody who's a fan of Superman, a reference to LuthorCorp.

By the way, to use the spoiler tag, do what you do for using italics or bold but just type in spoiler. So, [] then [/] and type spoiler in between the brackets.

Did you catch the religious fervor built into the movie? There's a particularly Christlike scene where Crowe is saying to Henry Cavill who is playing Superman something along the lines of only you have the power to save them at which point Superman floats out of the spaceship in a very Christesque way.

Also, did you notice the satellite General Zod destroys in a particular fight scene? It clearly depicts Wayne Enterprises which is obviously Snyder creating the foundations of his Justice League.

The Christ imagery was pretty hard to miss. I mean, in once scene the camera hangs as Superman stands in front of a stained glass window depicting Jesus in the crucifix pose he replicates later in the film. Subtlety was never Snyder's strong point but in Man of Steel it's particularly bad.

It's hard to believe Christoper Nolan had a hand in writing the script because it's just all over the place. Any subtext is lost when the characters are constantly ramming home the point with hamfisted dialogue and much of the plot revolves around a kryptonian USB stick. I doubt the inhabitants of metropolis would be too keen on Superman either after he'd just levelled the city and killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. Superman has no "heroic" decision to make - in fact he has no decisions to make whatsoever. He's just dragged through the film by explosions.

While I was entertained, I felt the second half of the movie dragged on. The final fight sequence went on for too fucking long and I agree: he didn't have to make any heroic decision. And I couldn't stand the fact that it was too easy for Lois Lane to find out who he was. If Superman was trying to hide his real identity, then he did a terrible job.

and also...

Did anyone feel the scene where Superman's father tells him what he's supposed to do with his life was a litle bit hamhanded? I mean, from what I understood, he wanted his son to discover what his mission in life was, to allow him to have the freedom to decide what he was going to do... so... why did he tell him to help us "Earthlings"? Or did I misunderstand something? It'd have made more sense, imo, if he'd told his son to find his own mission in life, since he'd given his life so that his son could be free on another planet. So why tell him what he's supposed to do? I'm a little bit confused here. You'd think he should've been like: Son, I gave my life so that you could find your own mission on Earth. Go out and fulfill your own destiny.

Edited by TombRaider

I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel for what it was - a summer blockbuster. It's an origins story so it kind of had that going against it (who doesn't know that story by now). But the action scenes were fantastic. I really enjoyed the epicness of it all.

The Christ imagery was pretty hard to miss. I mean, in once scene the camera hangs as Superman stands in front of a stained glass window depicting Jesus in the crucifix pose he replicates later in the film. Subtlety was never Snyder's strong point but in Man of Steel it's particularly bad.

It's hard to believe Christoper Nolan had a hand in writing the script because it's just all over the place. Any subtext is lost when the characters are constantly ramming home the point with hamfisted dialogue and much of the plot revolves around a kryptonian USB stick. I doubt the inhabitants of metropolis would be too keen on Superman either after he'd just levelled the city and killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. Superman has no "heroic" decision to make - in fact he has no decisions to make whatsoever. He's just dragged through the film by explosions.

Solid post.

Just saw After Earth

I really don't understand why it's been slammed by critics. I went in expecting to see a crappy flick, but I came out thinking it was a pleasant surprise. It's a nice coming of age story. Will Smith has been accused of nepotism, but to be honest, who wouldn't help his own kid? I thought it was a very good film. They didn't go overboard with the special effects. Jaden did a pretty good job, imho. He's been accused of being a terrible actor, but, c'mon... it's not that bad. He plays the part of a scared child, who's trying to prove himself to his father, who is a hero on the planet where they live. It's a story about a boy who's desperate to feel he's worthy of his father's respect. I didn't see anything wrong with the movie. It's a totally plausible plot, if you know what I mean. The father is a hero, the son fails to become a ranger, like his father, because he is reckless. Then their spaceship crashes on Earth, that's been abandoned for a thousand years, everyone dies, except for Will Smith and his son, and since Will Smith's legs are broken, the son has to retrieve a beacon to send a signal to their planet so that they can be rescued. Of course, that means walking 10,000 kilometers to the place where the tail of the spaceship is, which means facing dangerous animals and becoming a man, doing what he'd never done before, namely: facing his fears. Maybe it's been done before, but who cares?

And I really liked the thing about the monster, the final boss. It's a big ass lizard-bug that's evolved/been created to kill humans and to smell fear and that can only see you or feel where you are if you're afraid of it. Will Smith's character is famous because he managed to not feel fear, he's learned to control his own fear, so the monster can't see him or anyone who does the same, so he learned and taught everyone how to kill the monster. At the end of the movie, as was expected, the boy learns to overcome his fear, kills the bug and sends the signal that gets them rescued from Earth. I mean, you know that's what's gonna happen, but it's a very good movie. He manages to get himself out of some pretty hairy situations during the whole movie, like he escapes from a giant eagle and from a bunch of violent monkeys. Will Smith's character says at some point that all species on Earth have evolved to kill humans. Critics have slammed the movie by saying that doesn't make any sense... well... the way I see it, it's not that things have actually evolved to kill humans. I understood it like the species on Earth have continued evolving and since no one lives on Earth anymore, they just don't know what to expect, they don't know what animals they will encounter on Earth.

There were indeed a couple of plot holes, which I willingly overlooked, because this movie is very entertaining. Forget the critics and go see it. You may not like it, but you will be entertained.

Edited by TombRaider

Thought Man of Steel was okay, not mind blowing but solid. The performances were quite good and both Crowe and Shannon were awesome, the only real problem I had was the ending which seemed to drag while being anti-climactic

Do you mean the scene where the captain goes: Yeah, I think he's kinda hot. Yes, that was anti-climatic and I don't see the point in it. There are a number of ways they could've let the audience know the US government wants to find out where Superman lives and hides and that he doesn't want them to know that and that he is not a threat to the US, since he was raised there. I don't know. The scene felt sorta rushed and clumsy.

Edited by TombRaider

Thought Man of Steel was okay, not mind blowing but solid. The performances were quite good and both Crowe and Shannon were awesome, the only real problem I had was the ending which seemed to drag while being anti-climactic

Do you mean the scene where the captain goes: Yeah, I think he's kinda hot. Yes, that was anti-climatic and I don't see the point in it. There are a number of ways they could've let the audience know the US government wants to find out where Superman lives and hides and that he doesn't want them to know that and that he is not a threat to the US, since he was raised there. I don't know. The scene felt sorta rushed and clumsy.
I thought that bit was kind of amusing, specifically I was talking about
the whole destruction of the world engine and final fight with Zod. Maybe it was because there was too much CGI for my taste and it was a little difficult to see what was happening but I thought it could have been carried out in a more effective way. However I thought the bit whe Zod took off his armour and flew showing he had adapted to Earth and the Sun was pretty awesome, finally I thought the female Kryptonian (Faore?) was badass!

I thought that bit was kind of amusing, specifically I was talking about
the whole destruction of the world engine and final fight with Zod. Maybe it was because there was too much CGI for my taste and it was a little difficult to see what was happening but I thought it could have been carried out in a more effective way. However I thought the bit whe Zod took off his armour and flew showing he had adapted to Earth and the Sun was pretty awesome, finally I thought the female Kryptonian (Faore?) was badass!

yeah, that scene was too long, too much CGI. It was a confusing clusterfuck.

Edited by TombRaider

Dial M for Murder - this is easily the best Hitchcock movie that I've seen so far. The acting is excellent, the story is strong, the characters don't do anything stupid, and it felt like almost two hours breezed by. I didn't even realize until watching some of the bonus material that everything basically took place in that tiny apartment. Just didn't even think about it while the movie was going on.

Next up is Rebel Without a Cause and The Outsiders.