Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gattaca is one of my favourite films, love Michael Nyman's score. Andrew Niccol also wrote an early, dystopia future Truman Show draft, though I think the '50s American suburbia setting worked out much better (another great film).

What is the new evil dead like? Any good? Patch on the originals?

Not really. Was a huge fan of the trilogy when I was a teenager, but the new one is just... OK. It's not awful and it's not exactly great, it's just kind of... there. Not as shocking as I was expecting it to be from the trailer.

What is the new evil dead like? Any good? Patch on the originals?

Not really. Was a huge fan of the trilogy when I was a teenager, but the new one is just... OK. It's not awful and it's not exactly great, it's just kind of... there. Not as shocking as I was expecting it to be from the trailer.

Yeah it was no big deal.

Wayne's World is based on a SNL skit and it didn't exactly flop at the box office

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/waynes_world/

EDIT:

To me, the biggest offender is horror. I am a fan of the genre and I am sad to say most horror movies are pretty bad, because they rely on buckets of blood being spilled all over the screen to scare their audiences. They've become so formulaic that I sometimes wonder why they keep making them. Wanna talk about movies that don't bring anything to the table? Well, horror movies don't bring anything to the table. I'm not an expert, whatsoever, but I think horror movies enjoyed a big revival in the late 70's and the early 80's, thanks to slashers like Friday the 13th and Halloween. But the problem is that now those movies are a dime a dozen. There are way too many horror movies about teens being killed by psychos wearing masks or wielding axes. Hot teens? Check. Crazy guy? Check. Ax or icepick? Check. Gratuitious sex scene? Check. Teens making stupid decisions that result in every single one of them dying? Check. Comedians are even joking about how formulaic the genre has become. Check Pablo Francisco's videos on YouTube for instance.

It's either that or the tired found footage movies. Now, I know a lot of people hate it, but I happen to really like The Blair Witch Project. Maybe because I watched it under the right circumnstances, meaning that I didn't see it in theaters, because it had not been released here yet, I didn't have access to the Internet back then either, so I had no idea what it was, nobody did actually, and I saw it at night, late at night, with some friends. One of them had it on VHS (lol). It wasn´t even a good copy. It was obviously a bootleg copy of the movie and I have no idea how he found it. He gave me a call and said: Dude, you gotta come down and watch this thing with us. Me: What is it? My friend: some sort of documentary about people who died. I don't know. You see. We didn't know what it was. We actually thought it was real found footage. By the time it was released in theaters, everybody knew it was a movie and that sort of destroys the illusion of the movie. I don't know. My point is, Blair Witch Project was innovative when it came out. It felt fresh, to me at least. And I also liked it because it did not rely on blood and gore to scare you, but rather on psychological fear. I felt I was in the woods with those guys, lost, scared, hungry and thirsty. It was very effective as a movie, to me anyway.

Now, there are way too many found footage movies and some of them work, some don't. But it was a very good idea, I mean, playing with our deepest fears and not relying on blood.

I think, at some point, horror movies will have to go back to a more Hitchcock-esque style or someone will have to discover what we are most afraid of in the year 2013 or the 21st century.

When you watch old horror movies from the 50s or 60s or even the 80s, sometimes you can't help but laugh and wonder how in the hell people found that scary. But people were different back then. They weren't as desensitized as we are to violence and gore. Gore and violence and things that jump out of your closet at night or from under your bed are no longer scary, imo.

Well okay, but I don't think I argued that Wayne's World was a flop or that it was not based on an SNL skit.

I enjoy watching SNL, but a lot of the stuff that comes out of there is stupid. I still can't believe they made a movie out of MacGruber, an awful skit on the actual show. Kinda sorta funny the first time, but it did not have legs and the idea of watching a film based on it is a scary thought.

I haven't seen many horror flicks. I did like Candyman and Candyman 2, really like The Ninth Gate (this may not quite be a horror flick). I liked I Know What You Did Last Summer. Paranormal Activity was among the worst movies I've ever seen. Yeah, that might be all I've seen believe it or not. I shall watch more over time but no doubt that I do not have enough experience with horror flicks to really comment on the genre.

But I would think you should be able to almost manufacture a scary movie just by using certain techniques and customs. The same goes for action and suspense. Comedy would be tougher though, because the material actually has to be funny and walk a fine line between being too stupid but plausible enough that you can buy it, and I think characters are more important because there is often less of a story/atmosphere/stuff happening that they can lean on. It is more about the actors and their ability to deliver the funny moments, and to bring these wacky characters to life.

I think I've seen it 20 times. It was one of the first movies I watched after learning English and I wanted to see it without the subtitles. And understanding jokes in a foreign language is not easy. It took me about 20 times until I was finally able to get all the jokes. :laugh:

Well, maybe not the same character, but it seems to me she approaches her characters the same way. Films like Kalifornia, Too Young To Die, From Dusk Till Dawn, What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I mean, those are indeed very different characters she's playing and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the way she acts that make them seem very but very similar.

Edited by TombRaider

Juilette Lewis has said she approaches acting like Christopher Walken. Its like play, make believe or dancing. So they are kind of playing themselves.

They're also both very mannered actors, but magical to watch. Lewis's early 90s run from Cape Fear to Strange Days was spectacular.

Guest Len B'stard

Well, maybe not the same character, but it seems to me she approaches her characters the same way. Films like Kalifornia, Too Young To Die, From Dusk Till Dawn, What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I mean, those are indeed very different characters she's playing and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the way she acts that make them seem very but very similar.

Strong female thats a little short upstairs with a thick southern drawl? :lol: I see what you mean though, sort of naive bird that shows herself to be quite strong before the credits roll.

Edited by sugaraylen