Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched "Olympus Has Fallen". Just a really shitty version of Die Hard that takes place in the White House. Why are action movies so formulaic now? They're not even creative with how the main villain gets killed.

It was still better than Die Hard 5.

Just watched "Olympus Has Fallen". Just a really shitty version of Die Hard that takes place in the White House. Why are action movies so formulaic now? They're not even creative with how the main villain gets killed.

And don't look now because they're releasing the exact same movie this weekend, only calling it White House Down. I really hope people don't go see this movie. We've already have the studios rebooting franchises within a decade (Spiderman), looks like they think they can make the exact same movie twice and release them five months apart.

Edited by downzy

And don't look now because they're releasing the exact same movie this weekend, only calling it White House Down. I really hope people don't go see this movie. We've already have the studios rebooting franchises within a decade (Spiderman), looks like they think they can make the exact same movie twice and release them five months apart.

That's not a new thing.

That's not a new thing.

Apparently one of main reasons this happens is that when someone is shopping a script around Hollywood and takes it to multiple studios, one studio will often just straight up steal the idea and produce in on a smaller budget.

I finally saw Man Of Steel. I didn't care for the beginning. I thought it was Star Wars meets Avatar. The rest of the movie was good. And of course the end with the "snapping" was a shocker. The thing that really excited me was the ending. That is the Clark Kent I want to see, I can't wait for the sequel. And with the money it is making, they should work on it soon. Z was pure action, two snaps up!

Whitehouse Down.

Save your money, it's a fucking turd.

Is it the same as Olympus Has Fallen?
I hear it is far worse and I enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen

It is far worse, Olympus Has Fallen was superior.

This one has a Die Hard undershirt and Lethal Weapon fight in a rainstorm...errr...sprinkler.

Cringeworthy dialogue:

James Woods: "want a piece of cake"

Terrorist: "no I don't want a fucking piece of cake, I'm diabetic".

Channing Tatum character to the President: "don't be pointing a rocket launcher at me while I'm driving".

Yeah, that bad.

I saw World War Z last weekend, and I decided to give it a quick review after reading so much negative and unfair opinions about it. This are the facts: It's an apocalyptic zombie thriller, so what do you expect? It's a perfect film on the things it proposes. It's the best apocalyptic film I've seen to this day.

It has a very good pacing, with a very fast and explosive beginning that gives hints on what's on the way. Different from some apocalyptic films, this does not ease the pace at almost any moment, keeping your eyes glued to the screen. The characters are not the deepest on the world, but they're built just fine.

What I really enjoyed about this film, is that it explored lots of interesting and relevant issues on a zombie Armageddon that are usually left out: how did it begin, where did it begin, how it works, and what's the cure, without, at any moment, dropping the thrilling pace. And it actually showed humanity fighting the zombies... This was something that always bothered me on zombie films, and I'm a big fan of the genre... Why the hell does not everyone gather up and fight'em with everything possible? And I also liked it that the cure is actually very plausible.

There were some interesting geopolitics references that gave me chills... I'm not going to give them up, but they made me think "Wow, that makes a lot of sense!" And as if it was not enough, there's a great soundtrack, with an incredible theme song by Muse. There was also one of the best uses of 3D that I've ever seen. The scene on the vault on South Korea, with the flying dust around the dead bodies is very beautiful... Honestly one of the few times I've seen a justified use of 3D on a film.

As for other important aspects, the acting is fine; the fast action scenes are well filmed, succeeding to pass the whole chaotic situation to the viewer without making him confused. The photography is very cold, exactly what I expected from this kind of film.

Well, to sum up: This is a perfect zombie film, in every aspect. But remember, it's just a zombie film, so don't expect anything rather than that.

Edited by ManetsBR

Thanks for the review. But there's something I don't get about these zombies. I haven't seen it yet, by the way. Are these zombies, as in the Walking Dead? Or people infected with some disease that turns them into violent lunatics?

I wanna see it too. But I'm a little bit turned off by the zombies being so fast. They are too fast, they even look like ants and you can teel they're CGI, which bothers me just a little bit. But I'll see it anyway.

So they're not zombies. They're more like the infested people in 28 days later. So why call them zombies? :shrugs: I thought the world zombie only meant the undead.

EDIT:

I see what you mean about their speed. But the scene where they're climbing on top of each other makes them look way too agile and too fast.

2:11

Question, when you saw it, and you saw that particular scene, did you think omg... actual zombies. or meh... cgi monsters? I think there's a very thin line between a real looking scene where the CGI characters perfectly blend in with the real characters and one where your brain knows that what you're looking at is not real, because it doesn't look real, at all. I know all about suspension of disbelief, but I cannot stop my brain from telling me, when I see that particular scene, that I'm watching a videogame on the big screen. I hope it doesn't ruin the movie. I'm not saying one single scene will ruin the movie for me, but for us to actually believe, on a subconscious level, that what we're seeing on screen are actual zombies, your brain has to be tricked into thinking that. There was an article on Cracked a while ago about that and about some of the robots they have in Japan. you know, robots that look human. They said that there is some sort of mechanism in the human brain that immediately tells you that that human face you're looking at, even if it looks perfect, is not real. Sort of the same thing happens to me when I see those hordes of zombies attacking the living. I feel like I'm watching a videogame. I'd rather watch a scene where a single zombie or maybe two, played by actual human beings, are attacking our heroes and wreaking havoc. It looks better and scarier. IMHO.

Remember Jurassic Park (1993)? Maybe it hasn't aged that well, I don't know. But the T-Rex looks real. It looks like a living object. They didn't go overboard with their CGI, but these days, they tend to overdo their CGI effects. And it's a shame really. It's as if we've forgotten all the great non CGI characters in old fantasy movies, like Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back. It's such a great character, and it's only a puppet. I don't know anything about making movies, but I love movies and I sorta intuitively know what works and what doesn't, we all do, actually.

I remember a scene in 28 days later where the main character is walking through a dark tunnel and he's being chased by 10 or 11 zombies. That scene is scary as shit, because it's very claustrophobic. You get scared, because you can actually feel there's no escape. It's a dark tunnel, full of dead people and the undead, and it's dark and he doesn't know what the hell is going on or where everyone is and he has to run for his life. Those elements make it a great scene. And there are no special effects in that scene. All you see is the guy running and the shadows of the zombies chasing him. Maybe it's not the scariest thing ever to be put on screen. But it works. I've always thought that keeping your special effects to a minimum always works in horror movies.

28 days later is ok. It could've been better, if it hadn't been for the stupid twist at the end. But it's worth watching. If anything, their zombies are scary and feel real.

Of course, you can do it right and create a real looking character with your computer and your CGI software. Case in point, Gollum in The Two Towers. He looks 99% real in the scene where he hunts the rabbits and brings them back to there Frodo and Sam are.

I guess the trick is not to go overboard with your CGI. CGI is a double edged sword, imho. I hope the guys that make movies always remember that the most important thing is the script, the script and the script. The CGI characters and all that are there to make your story more believable, but they should not be the reason behind the movie. This is 2013. We all know what computers can do. There is literally no limit to what filmmakers can put on screen. Literally, no limit.

- So, I was thinking. Can you create a scene where this giant robot with 20 arms and 40 legs fights with this fire breathing dragon that's as tall as a mountain and it has 5 sets of wings and then they fall into a big ass volcano where you see millions of ants fighting this huge snake that has feathers instead of scales? But we have to be able to see every single ant. And the can you make a scene where an army of 1,000,000 people attack the dragon. But it's gotta be fast, man. Can you? Can you?

-Sure. My computer will take care of it.

This is the reason why movies like Transformers sorta epitomize going overboard with your CGI.

Edited by TombRaider

I completely understand your concerns, TombRaider. Well, those fast scenes like the one where they go over the wall are ok on the "realistic" aspect. There was only one scene, when Brad Pitt is face to face with a zombie, when I recall thinking "They should use make up, like in The Walking Dead, rather than CGI, looks more real." But that was it. It didn't ruin the scene or anything, but after seen The Walking Dead's zombies, my expectations are kind of high when it comes to the realism of the zombies! haha

And about they calling it "zombies", just a few people call'em zombies, and the rest of the people react like "Zombies? What the fuck, they're not zombies, this is not a film." No one actually said that line, but that was the spirit, like if they were avoiding the term "zombie" for been too unreleastic.

And I also think 28 Days Later could have been better, but it has some really intense scenes indeed.

Edited by ManetsBR