Official Hamilton Thread 1/24/10

Blaine_sixx

November Rain

Axl did the November Rain's first intro ultra fast hehehehe, he's a bit out of tempo on that. After the drums, he's ok

i love all this piano playing intro!!!! he seems to be in his element

and btw, axl looks *gorgeous* in that pic :wub:

Edited by Tali

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my review of the show.

First off, never have I heard Axl sing so well. The man is a legend possessed. I've seen this band play 10 times since 2002 and tonight was easily his best vocally. How he doesn't blow out his vocal chords is beyond me. And other than the silly technical difficulty at the very end of Paradise City I have to give hats off to the sound guys for mixing his vocals properly. There were times where I felt like he was pitch perfect to what we hear on the albums, especially the new ones. His vocals on 'Sorry' were spot on.

The highlight of the night for me was defintely TWAT. Thanks GNR for playing this amazing song; I finally got to hear it live and it didn't disappoint. I was somewhat surprised that Axl abridged the ending; starting singing just as Bumblefoot was playing the really sweet part of the solo. Not sure if this was done or purpose or Axl presumed it was his time to sing (this actually happened a few times tonight; either Axl or the rest of the band botched the beginning of Mr. Brownstone - no big deal however). But yeah, Axl's screaming vocals at the end of TWAT were fucking unreal. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. My buddy was blown away; he was expecting Axl a la 2002 MTV Music awards and was ecstatic about how great he sounded, especially in TWAT. And I had no idea how TIL would come off live; I was really nervous for this song. But thankfully the song is even better live than it is recorded. I haven't heard any of the bootlegs yet so I was pleasantly pleased with how well this song comes off live. Axl, again, sounded fantastic.

Rocket Queen was phenomenal; it just seemed like the band was firing on all cylinders at this point. Standout guitar solos were Bumblefoot's and DJ Ashba's. My seat was 10 rows up from stage left (Ashba's side) so there were a few moments where I got to rock out with Ashba; got my first pump/pointing reciprocated by DJ so that was pretty cool. One thing that made me laugh was when DJ noticed that a guy sitting in the front row had yet to get off his chair. He walked over, stared down at the dude, stopped playing and folded his arms. Basically saying, "I'm not playing until you get off you're ass." Sure enough the dude was up and fist pumping in no time.

As for the drawbacks; nothing major EXCEPT FOR SECURITY. Probably the worst case of security overkill I have ever seen. I get that you don't want people taking pictures, but when you're telling people to stop texting it gets a little ridiculous. I got a flashlight pointed in my face while I texted my friend where we were going to meet after the show. They then went after a 16 year old girl who sending a text behind me. I told the security to fuck off and to be reasonable. They said that since phones could be used as a camera that we weren't even allowed to open them. Absolute bullshit. If anyone in the GNR camp is reading this please have someone talk to security so this overkill stops 'cause it completely ruins the mood. If I'm holding my phone up to take pictures, say whatever the fuck you want, but if I've got down and I'm pushing fucking buttons, I'm pretty sure I'm NOT taking a damn photo. In terms of band drawbacks, guess a little disappointed no Patience, but not a huge deal. Also really think Dizzy should rethink his piano solo. Not necessarily saying that a piano solo is a bad thing, but have it something recognizable. I have no idea what he was playing and really didn't do much for me. Also thought of all the newer songs, 'Scraped' seemed the most flat and not received as well as some of the other newer songs.

All in all, a damn fine show. Axl definitely seemed in good spirits and the band looked like they were having a great time. Too bad the security seemed hell bent on not letting anyone else enjoy themselves. Super cool: Baz watched the whole show 10 rows in front of me. And he was rocking out like he was GNR's biggest fan. That guy is too awesome. I'm so glad Axl and co. brough Baz back to open.

Looking forward to London tonight. I'll post a review like this when I get back.

Cheers,

Andrew

Don't we have another show tonight?

yup and it better be good since i 'll be there usually someone not going starts the thread so they can edit for updates etc. where is THAT person? lol. step up people step up!

has anyone seen any reviews yet from this show? Always more interested to see what the outside world has to say than the fan reports from the shows, we are no doubt just a TAD biased!

First off, never have I heard Axl sing so well. The man is a legend possessed. I've seen this band play 10 times since 2002 and tonight was easily his best vocally. How he doesn't blow out his vocal chords is beyond me. And other than the silly technical difficulty at the very end of Paradise City I have to give hats off to the sound guys for mixing his vocals properly. There were times where I felt like he was pitch perfect to what we hear on the albums, especially the new ones. His vocals on 'Sorry' were spot on.

The highlight of the night for me was defintely TWAT. Thanks GNR for playing this amazing song; I finally got to hear it live and it didn't disappoint. I was somewhat surprised that Axl abridged the ending; starting singing just as Bumblefoot was playing the really sweet part of the solo. Not sure if this was done or purpose or Axl presumed it was his time to sing (this actually happened a few times tonight; either Axl or the rest of the band botched the beginning of Mr. Brownstone - no big deal however). But yeah, Axl's screaming vocals at the end of TWAT were fucking unreal. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. My buddy was blown away; he was expecting Axl a la 2002 MTV Music awards and was ecstatic about how great he sounded, especially in TWAT. And I had no idea how TIL would come off live; I was really nervous for this song. But thankfully the song is even better live than it is recorded. I haven't heard any of the bootlegs yet so I was pleasantly pleased with how well this song comes off live. Axl, again, sounded fantastic.

Rocket Queen was phenomenal; it just seemed like the band was firing on all cylinders at this point. Standout guitar solos were Bumblefoot's and DJ Ashba's. My seat was 10 rows up from stage left (Ashba's side) so there were a few moments where I got to rock out with Ashba; got my first pump/pointing reciprocated by DJ so that was pretty cool. One thing that made me laugh was when DJ noticed that a guy sitting in the front row had yet to get off his chair. He walked over, stared down at the dude, stopped playing and folded his arms. Basically saying, "I'm not playing until you get off you're ass." Sure enough the dude was up and fist pumping in no time.

As for the drawbacks; nothing major EXCEPT FOR SECURITY. Probably the worst case of security overkill I have ever seen. I get that you don't want people taking pictures, but when you're telling people to stop texting it gets a little ridiculous. I got a flashlight pointed in my face while I texted my friend where we were going to meet after the show. They then went after a 16 year old girl who sending a text behind me. I told the security to fuck off and to be reasonable. They said that since phones could be used as a camera that we weren't even allowed to open them. Absolute bullshit. If anyone in the GNR camp is reading this please have someone talk to security so this overkill stops 'cause it completely ruins the mood. If I'm holding my phone up to take pictures, say whatever the fuck you want, but if I've got down and I'm pushing fucking buttons, I'm pretty sure I'm NOT taking a damn photo. In terms of band drawbacks, guess a little disappointed no Patience, but not a huge deal. Also really think Dizzy should rethink his piano solo. Not necessarily saying that a piano solo is a bad thing, but have it something recognizable. I have no idea what he was playing and really didn't do much for me. Also thought of all the newer songs, 'Scraped' seemed the most flat and not received as well as some of the other newer songs.

All in all, a damn fine show. Axl definitely seemed in good spirits and the band looked like they were having a great time. Too bad the security seemed hell bent on not letting anyone else enjoy themselves. Super cool: Baz watched the whole show 10 rows in front of me. And he was rocking out like he was GNR's biggest fan. That guy is too awesome. I'm so glad Axl and co. brough Baz back to open.

Looking forward to London tonight. I'll post a review like this when I get back.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanx, Andrew

Cheers,

Andrew

Sounds great! hope they come to Europe again, sounds like 2010 gnr is rocking the sh*t out of the 2006 one!

too bad the security is such a pain in the a$$ :fuckyou:

Don't we have another show tonight?

yup and it better be good since i 'll be there usually someone not going starts the thread so they can edit for updates etc. where is THAT person? lol. step up people step up!

has anyone seen any reviews yet from this show? Always more interested to see what the outside world has to say than the fan reports from the shows, we are no doubt just a TAD biased!

excellent point. fan reviews might be biased, but they may also be extremely critcal as well. many of us have seen GNR many times and easy to compare this against previous reincarnations. I like this one. All the trucks are downtown, setting everything up. the crew must be exhausted, tearing it all down at 2am last night and then setting it all up again. wow.

Cheers,

Andrew

great review-god bless Baz!!

Woo! Just got back from Hamilton! AWESOME SHOW!

Notes I remember from the show:

Axl enjoys pretending to "kick" over DJ and Bumblefoot into the crowd, lol

Bumblefoot screws up the outro to November Rain, he just started laughin during it. Axl and Tommy later joke about it before BBF does his solo ("hopefully he doesn't fuck this up") hahaha

Axl starts Brownstone too early, the band changes the song to adjust

If I remember more I'll post! I got a boot of the show too (not very good)!

Edit:

Just remembered....some asshole threw a waterbottle up on stage in front of BBF and got him wet...such a bastard I wanted to kill that guy.

Also, as someone mentioned, the security there was BULLSHIT! 2 people around me had their cameras taken, one person was kicked out totally.

Edited by CoBrA2168

Cheers,

Andrew

Great review and I agree with everything you said about security. They were complete assholes and it was the worst experience I've ever had with them at any concert. I was told afterwards by someone else I knew at the show that when they popped out their phone to check the time security immediately hassled them about it. That's bullshit and is enough to ruin anybody's experience at the show. Maybe Axl will set things straight and kick out security like he did in 2006! Like I mentioned in another post, nothing worse than power tripping asshole security who think they own the place.

On a side note, it was Axl and not the band who messed up Brownstone. He started singing too early. ;)

4302532641_50490f2732_b.jpg

Source: SteelcityCanada from flickr.com and use your illusion from perfectcrimegnr.com

The coolest shirt since 1992 (St. Louis sucks :rolleyes: ). Axl is killing man, I can't wait to see him. My whole life is fucked but Gn'R is making me happy right now. I'm spending all my money to see they in March. Let's rock. :thumbsup:

Surprised nobody picked up on that light between Axl's legs looking suspiciously like the hat worn by a certain Staffordshire born musician.

Yes, Slash is sneaking up between his legs....

No, I think Slash finally came out of Axl's ass! No wonder Axl looks so much thinner.