Should GNR add a 'acoustic' set in the middle their main set list, live?

UK SUBS

I'm not sure that this would work out too well. I get the feeling that these days they have to win the crowd (filled with a lot of doubters it seems) over and over again every night, whereas back in 1993 they were the biggest band on the planet and could have done what they wanted on stage. An acoustic break could kill the momentum they've created before.. Just my two cents, I don't know.

It'd be pretty boss, tho, 'cause as you say, Axl sounds really really fucking good lately.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw CITR from the last 'surprise' gig. It would be awesome... Gotta disagree with Spoon, I think it would help convince people how awesome this band is, an acoustic break would show they can play the raw, stripped down style too.

Plus, it would be a crime NOT to play CITR acoustically again....

Would be a great idea really. In 93 the skin n' bones tour they did it and it was ace. I would like to see that myself.

Play some like that then come back with a heavy tune right after, would be a nice break for them and the crowd before another onslaught!

Edited by gunsguy

it would destroy the momentum of the high energy show, some people say the solo spots do that, but can you imagine acoustic during the middle of the set?

I dont think its a good idea

it would destroy the momentum of the high energy show, some people say the solo spots do that, but can you imagine acoustic during the middle of the set?

It's either solo spots or Axl sounding tired and out of breath during every song.

Im not saying the solo spots are a bad thing, I actually think there 100% better then what they were in the 06/07 tours but I just dont think acoustic show during the middle of the show is a good idea. As you said, Axl has to rest up during some of the songs, so I dont think acoustic set + normal set + guitar solos is a good idea, too many momentum killers

It's either solo spots or Axl sounding tired and out of breath during every song.

Im not saying the solo spots are a bad thing, I actually think there 100% better then what they were in the 06/07 tours but I just dont think acoustic show during the middle of the show is a good idea. As you said, Axl has to rest up during some of the songs, so I dont think acoustic set + normal set + guitar solos is a good idea, too many momentum killers

I know, I'm just commenting on why they exist. I love the BBF and Dizzy solos, and the Ashba solo is a great homage to Slash without ripping him off. Fortus needs a new solo though, as does Axl.

Also, bring back Sonic Reducer.

Edited by bacardimayne

I know, I'm just commenting on why they exist. I love the BBF and Dizzy solos, and the Ashba solo is a great homage to Slash without ripping him off. Fortus needs a new solo though, as does Axl.

Or My Generation.

But an acoustic set wouldnt work in my opinion. I dont like Patience live, I could only imagine how bored I would be for a whole 4 or 5 song set. But Catcher is awesome acoustically....

Or My Generation.

But an acoustic set wouldnt work in my opinion. I dont like Patience live, I could only imagine how bored I would be for a whole 4 or 5 song set. But Catcher is awesome acoustically....

I agree 100%. That acoustic Catcher was magical, but I can imagine a crowd dying during a 5 song acoustic set even faster than the Edmonton crowd died during the 6-CD-song-in-a-row set we got.

Speaking of Patience, I wouldn't mind if they replaced it (or rotated it) with You're Crazy, Used to Love Her or... dare I say it? One in a Million? rock4

Or My Generation.

I agree 100%. That acoustic Catcher was magical, but I can imagine a crowd dying during a 5 song acoustic set even faster than the Edmonton crowd died during the 6-CD-song-in-a-row set we got.

Speaking of Patience, I wouldn't mind if they replaced it (or rotated it) with You're Crazy, Used to Love Her or... dare I say it? One in a Million? rock4

Now THAT is something I can get behind on.

Speaking of Patience, I wouldn't mind if they replaced it (or rotated it) with You're Crazy, Used to Love Her or... dare I say it? One in a Million?

Keep Patience, add those songs you named and an unplugged November Rain, KOHD and BAM! there's your acoustic set, wouldn't lose a single soul.

On the strength of the you tube clips from L'ARC, France, which is amongst the best I've ever heard Axl sing (along with a really cool sound from the rest of the band) should Axl introduce this during this tour?

That's a good idea. yeah, why not. It could be interesting.

Guest RonMexico82

CITR into an acoustic November Rain would be cool. Didn't they do some sort of acoustic mini-set back in '93 with the band gathered around a couch or something. That was cool.

Would be a great idea really. In 93 the skin n' bones tour they did it and it was ace. I would like to see that myself.

Play some like that then come back with a heavy tune right after, would be a nice break for them and the crowd before another onslaught!

I love the idea of them doing an acoustic tour actually, never mind just a portion of the show - but I'm not sure they could do it in arenas, and I'm not sure it's financially viable to do it at the threatre level.

The band at least needs to finish off its main tour first though before trying something like that. I still suspect we'll see a Mexican tour, U.S. tour, German tour, and maybe even some more Asian dates - there's a bunch of cities and places they haven't hit there yet (Japan alone you could easily do shows in Sapporo, Fukuoka, Sendai, Yokohama, and maybe Kanazawa, Kumamoto, even Matsuyama - heck GN'R have only ever played on Honshu, not any of the other islands that I know of, and they're rabid music fans. By next year you could even do another Tokyo show, or do Chiba again like 07).

Yeah I'm a bit eager for that, I have a friend who might be moving over there soon and would love an extra excuse to visit next year ;)