"Axl Rose Suing Guitar Hero Makers".

Chinese Destruction

If he did shit like that to you would you write positive things about him??? I think not.........When you treat the press like shit they are going to write negative shit about you, justified or not.

So the media is on par with taxes (as in they aren't the most attractive things but they have to be dealt with)? It's quite clear that Axl doesn't get the whole journalist business (using your own position to write about someone else's).Therefore why is it so essential that he engages with something he has no empathy for? If anything he preserves his own integrity as opposed to selling out just to further his own agenda. I'm sure Slash has an equal feeling of animosity towards the media yet he continues to play ball with them. That's his choice. Refusing media personnel interviews etc. isn't a legitimate reason to portray that somebody or something inaccurately. The media is supposed to be the unbound telling of truth (regardless of personal vendetta).

I don't know how old you are Chidem but you can't really be that naive to think the press is unbiased and does not hold vendettas against people.

If it was just a matter of not talking to them then I doubt they would be as vindictive but Axl really went out of his way to treat them badly in the past and they retaliate by using the only weapon they have which is to write negative things about him. Some true some not so true.

Like I said not everything the press writes about Axl is or justified but my point is if you treat the press like shit, as Axl has and still does, expect them to write negative things about you in return. It sucks but that is human nature.

You or I have no idea what Slash thinks about the press but he at least treats them with a little respect which goes a long way in having a good relationship. Axl has it within his power to change the presses perception of him by just treating them with a little respect and throwing them a bone once in a while. If he does not want to do this, and insist on playing the angry rebel, then don't whine about what they write about him.......

Like I said if someone is nice to you you are more likely to say postive things about them if someone asks you but if someone continously treats you like shit how likely are you to give them a positive recommedation if someone asks you what they are like? not very likely I think........

I agree with what you're saying here. The weapon journalists have is the pen, and they use it. But it's interesting that an industry clearly holding a grudge against Axl for past actions with the press is writing crappy press about Axl holding grudges.

A lot of what we see today cannot be called journalism. Any integrity that it had died the day I saw Britney Spears shaving her head as the lead story on a so called 'reputable' news program. It is Blabbermouth journalism (say the bit of news followed by all the crap that you want to focus on in the last 15 years to put a negative slant on it). It is CNN taking a story and making it a mega-story by slapping "American Whatever" and repeating it 50 times throughout the day. So they may call Axl or anyone else out for any lame story they want to print. But I say, by doing stuff like that they have earned my belief that there is no integrity in journalism anymore. That is my rant.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think regarding the press there are 2 main influences that are often ignored:

1. Bad news is more interesting

2. It tells people what they want to hear

1. Is that it's much more interesting to talk about how fat Axl is and how shit the new band are and that an album 14 years in the making turns out to be wank, rather than GNR release a decent album and complete a successful tour.

2. The positivity towards GNR from the general public seems to relate to the original line up and the first thing people say about the "new" guns n roses is "It's not REALLY guns n roses is it?" People that know a bit about them but aren't fans have a negative, or at least a cautious, attitude towards the band before they even hear a note. Therefore the media will tap into this naturally negative/cautious nature and slag off the band which falls in nicely wth the publics doubt about them. it doesn't take us long to want to knock someone off their high-horse, especially someone who comes across (or is portrayed) as a bit of a dick like Axl is.

He's like Liam Gallagher in that sense, who doesn't help himself, but people will always think he's a dick unless they're a fan of the band.

The difference is Liam comes across like a dick because of what he says to the media, whereas Axl doesn't say a word and the press hammer him. It's a shame Axl doesn't talk more because I genuinely think he could come across a lot differently than the media portrays him and he could turn it around.

LP

I think regarding the press there are 2 main influences that are often ignored:

1. Bad news is more interesting

2. It tells people what they want to hear

1. Is that it's much more interesting to talk about how fat Axl is and how shit the new band are and that an album 14 years in the making turns out to be wank, rather than GNR release a decent album and complete a successful tour.

2. The positivity towards GNR from the general public seems to relate to the original line up and the first thing people say about the "new" guns n roses is "It's not REALLY guns n roses is it?" People that know a bit about them but aren't fans have a negative, or at least a cautious, attitude towards the band before they even hear a note. Therefore the media will tap into this naturally negative/cautious nature and slag off the band which falls in nicely wth the publics doubt about them. it doesn't take us long to want to knock someone off their high-horse, especially someone who comes across (or is portrayed) as a bit of a dick like Axl is.

He's like Liam Gallagher in that sense, who doesn't help himself, but people will always think he's a dick unless they're a fan of the band.

The difference is Liam comes across like a dick because of what he says to the media, whereas Axl doesn't say a word and the press hammer him. It's a shame Axl doesn't talk more because I genuinely think he could come across a lot differently than the media portrays him and he could turn it around.

LP

I agree to an extent but you never read negative press about Slash so IMHO it really relates to Axl's relationship with the press...If he had not treated them so badly in the past and continue to refuse to talk to them I believe they would write more postive stories about him. By not talking to the press, and giving them his thoughts and his side of the story, they will print any rumour they get as that is all they have....

Axl has nobody to blame but himself for the bad press related to ChiDem and the recent tour. Part of it is related to his negative relationship with the press but waiting 14 years to release ChiDem then refusing to do interviews the press lost interest and NuGnR became yesterdays news. Maybe I am wrong but I think if Axl had kept a stable lineup and released 3-4 albums of new material this past 14 years I think people would be less inclined to focus on the old band when thinking about GnR. His lack of activitiy made it easy to compare NuGnR/ChiDem to GnR/AFD and that is a tough legacy to overcome..............

I am not saying any of this is fair but Axl hepled create this situation........

Its extortion for not giving them what they want. Talk to us or we make you look bad. Fuck em'

I agree to an extent but you never read negative press about Slash so IMHO it really relates to Axl's relationship with the press...If he had not treated them so badly in the past and continue to refuse to talk to them I believe they would write more postive stories about him. By not talking to the press, and giving them his thoughts and his side of the story, they will print any rumour they get as that is all they have....

Axl has nobody to blame but himself for the bad press related to ChiDem and the recent tour.

People seem to forget that it's not only his fault. The press has always wrote negative about Axl (and Guns) from day 1. Guns has also used and probable feed it in the beginnig. The whole 'meanest band in the world' thing, kind of worked for them in those days, part of what made them big. However it backfired for Axl. Slash's pr-team were able to turn it around, and it cost him a lot of interviews in the beginning, part of why the press like him so much. Slash is really approachable. Axl is different, he doesn't want to be approached and he will never do something against his will. Not always the best way to go. He will never kiss up to the press. I kind of admire that about him. He doesn't talk to people, who will probably write or wrote negative about him, it's already a lost cause and he knows it. So why try? In my opion, he is right in that.

What I also would like to know, what do you guys want to know? He already answered his point of view about old guns. You want him to repeat it over and over again...like the other guys do?

All the old band members are always questioned about guns, hardly about the new things they do. That's not what I see Axl doing.

So probably the only questions he would answer, is what his favorite colour is or something like that. And I couldn't care less, my questions he already answered. Why do you want him to kiss up to press, who are treating him the way they do?

I kind of don't understand....

Edited by MBRose

Axl has nobody to blame but himself for the bad press related to ChiDem and the recent tour. Part of it is related to his negative relationship with the press but waiting 14 years to release ChiDem then refusing to do interviews the press lost interest and NuGnR became yesterdays news. Maybe I am wrong but I think if Axl had kept a stable lineup and released 3-4 albums of new material this past 14 years I think people would be less inclined to focus on the old band when thinking about GnR. His lack of activitiy made it easy to compare NuGnR/ChiDem to GnR/AFD and that is a tough legacy to overcome..............

I am not saying any of this is fair but Axl hepled create this situation........

I agree it's about the relationship. If Slash's relationship had been bad, then when he had filed for divorce the press would have inflated the whole story with any fight ever recorded (including his arrest some years ago) and they would include it in every story related or unrelated. It would show how fickle the press is if Axl gave one good interview that everyone could report on, where he was up and positive. Suddenly the media would ease up. Not because it was correct, but because Axl kissed their asses. Axl may have helped to create the negative portrayal in the press, but the press helped to create it too. And because I know that Axl cannot win, I support him not speaking to the press.

I agree it's about the relationship. If Slash's relationship had been bad, then when he had filed for divorce the press would have inflated the whole story with any fight ever recorded (including his arrest some years ago) and they would include it in every story related or unrelated. It would show how fickle the press is if Axl gave one good interview that everyone could report on, where he was up and positive. Suddenly the media would ease up. Not because it was correct, but because Axl kissed their asses. Axl may have helped to create the negative portrayal in the press, but the press helped to create it too. And because I know that Axl cannot win, I support him not speaking to the press.

The noncompliance with the press,was started by the press, writing untruths,and taking statements out of context, if anyone here remembers the Donington gig where 2 people were trampled,some of the press actually blamed GNR for this,when nothing could be further from the truth,Then you have "Get in the ring" directed at the shitty journalism that was being passed off as truth, This has been a long-running grudge match and it's not a recent development,Why in the hell would you play ball with unscrupulous people who are not reliable and not accountable? Not to pick at a scab,but slash has sucked up to them; gone on innumerable shows, given countless interviews,and still his album was not very successful,so this obviously isn't working for him,although he isn't mangled as much by the media,he is overexposed and his interviews don't warrant the same reaction from the public as someone who basically refuses to talk to them;and on the rare occasion when something is said

it is more widely sought after,and then is slammed for being direct,and to the point of the matter,who prefers to visit GNR forums to talk, receiving no monetary benefit from such,there are two basic choices you can cooperate with the press,answering their innane questions repeatedly,while sneaking in a passive-aggressive punch every now and then,or you can view the press as an enemy,which for the most part they are,and expressing your views directly regardless of the consequences,or the bloodbath that will ensue undoubtedly,I prefer the latter,refusing to speak to the draconian institute of the press,refusing to play their blackmail games,and to hold onto your integrity no matter the price,Back on topic this is between the legal firms and their respective clients, and nothing the journalists or individuals write on this forum or in the media will change that,When a company intentionally strays outside the perameters that were set,they should expect a reaction,and the inevitable legal action,this is how the American justice system is set up,and how it operates when negotiations fail,and no agreement can be reached by the parties involved,Activision blatantly went for the money,rather than sticking to their agreement,and the lawsuit is not frivolous,even if it is not popular.

The noncompliance with the press,was started by the press, writing untruths,and taking statements out of context, if anyone here remembers the Donington gig where 2 people were trampled,some of the press actually blamed GNR for this,when nothing could be further from the truth,Then you have "Get in the ring" directed at the shitty journalism that was being passed off as truth, This has been a long-running grudge match and it's not a recent development,Why in the hell would you play ball with unscrupulous people who are not reliable and not accountable? Not to pick at a scab,but slash has sucked up to them; gone on innumerable shows, given countless interviews,and still his album was not very successful,so this obviously isn't working for him,although he isn't mangled as much by the media,he is overexposed and his interviews don't warrant the same reaction from the public as someone who basically refuses to talk to them;and on the rare occasion when something is said

it is more widely sought after,and then is slammed for being direct,and to the point of the matter,who prefers to visit GNR forums to talk, receiving no monetary benefit from such,there are two basic choices you can cooperate with the press,answering their innane questions repeatedly,while sneaking in a passive-aggressive punch every now and then,or you can view the press as an enemy,which for the most part they are,and expressing your views directly regardless of the consequences,or the bloodbath that will ensue undoubtedly,I prefer the latter,refusing to speak to the draconian institute of the press,refusing to play their blackmail games,and to hold onto your integrity no matter the price,Back on topic this is between the legal firms and their respective clients, and nothing the journalists or individuals write on this forum or in the media will change that,When a company intentionally strays outside the perameters that were set,they should expect a reaction,and the inevitable legal action,this is how the American justice system is set up,and how it operates when negotiations fail,and no agreement can be reached by the parties involved,Activision blatantly went for the money,rather than sticking to their agreement,and the lawsuit is not frivolous,even if it is not popular.

If he does not want to meet the press halfway then Axl has no right to bitch and whine that he is mistreated by them...As long as he refuses to speak to them they will write negative shit about him and take the word of others as too what is the truth. what you reap is what you sow.........

Seeing as you are a card carrying Slash hater I won't bother wasting my time answering your slam as I know by now you have no objectivity on anything Slash related.......

As I stated before, the media has always been negative,this is not a new development,an open enemy is no threat because you know they are going for sensationalism over truth,and you don't break bread with the enemy,but to call out the press as hostile is not "bitching and whining" it is stating a fact,however unpleasant,that said I don't "hate" Slash but I do hate what he has become,and how he has compromised himself to look good for his own agenda,at any cost,Back on topic,This is a court case,a legal action,I don't see

the need to bash and devalue anyone,or each other over this,it doesn't affect anyone except those actually involved,and 30 pages of comments won't change a thing,nor will all the demeaning commentary.

The public perception is that Axl is a washed-up has been, who's jealous of Slash.

Pretty much everybody I know, myself included, feels this way.

Why would Axl be jealous of someone who is less successful than him?

dunno that he actually is, but if he were, that's something only he could tell you.

The public perception is that Axl is a washed-up has been, who's jealous of Slash.

Slash isn't less successful. He is just a sellout.

ohohoho don't even start that.

Axl had the FBI arrest a fan.

Slash less successful than Axl?

hmmm...

The biggest success Axl ever had was while working with Slash.

Since they parted ways, Slash has been the more productive one.

Among the public, Slash is viewed as cool, while Axl an asshole.

Axl = Lazy, stingy and stupid.

Slash = Hard-working, industrious, generous and savvy.

generous? LOL... :rofl-lol:

Example???

You can download free tracks off his website. When was the last time Axl ever gave away anything for free? Oh right? Never.

Edited by Skulls

Axl had the FBI arrest a fan.

The same way Slash arrested the GN'R concept (in terms of denying it its personal liberty to progress)? Anyway, “Skwerl” acted in the interests of promoting his web page, I wouldn't classify him as being a GN'R “fan”. Even so, anyone who illegally releases somebody's else’s material deserves to be brought to justice. Would YOU turn a blind eye to somebody illegally releasing the vast majority of something which you'd invested so much time in?

Axl = Lazy, stingy and stupid.

Slash = Hard-working, industrious, generous and savvy.

generous? LOL... :rofl-lol:

Example???

You can download free tracks off his website. When was the last time Axl ever gave away anything for free? Oh right? Never.

Because Slash is promoting his band. He is very good with business and money. He knows what he has to do to get an applause from his fans.

How many of those tracks are actually any good? Really, if Axl was putting mediocre songs on GN'R's site for free download would you view it to be “a genuine gesture” or a “tarnishing of the GN'R concept”? The latter I would presume. “GN'R are so bad they're releasing tracks FOR FREE!” But when good old Slash puts tracks up for free download (despite them being pretty damn terrible) it's considered to be “an act of appreciation of the fans”. Double standards much? Absolutely.