Rocket Queen @ The Ritz 1988

ssiscool

So watching this show and it is often regarded as one of the best GNR shows to date.

Rocket Queen is testiment to that. Just watching it back now and you can see how tight the bad are. Especially when Axl walks off stage during the second verse. They keep playing and are still tight and sound, if possible. Even better.

The entire band seem to be having fun at this gig. Just completely awesome. Axl's vocals are great, Steven is playing brilliantly.

Your views?

I think that whole bit in the middle...when Axl comes back on and lights his fag off of Slashs and Slash spins away to play and Axl dances to himself might be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I think that everytime I see it.

So watching this show and it is often regarded as one of the best GNR shows to date.

Rocket Queen is testiment to that. Just watching it back now and you can see how tight the bad are. Especially when Axl walks off stage during the second verse. They keep playing and are still tight and sound, if possible. Even better.

The entire band seem to be having fun at this gig. Just completely awesome. Axl's vocals are great, Steven is playing brilliantly.

Your views?

Hell yeah thats one of my favorite performances

• 1 month later...

See i find it better without that second verse.

I just love the riff at 3:50 up to the outro. Great song easily one of the best on appetite and thats saying somwthing.

Axl's voice is clearly struggling at this stage but the band still put it a kick arse performance.

Love this gig and that song in particular.

You have to wonder what's in the vaults.

Now, bands record everything, but back in the day, musicians were superstitious or self-conscious about having their live shows recorded professionally, and would wind up putting on a restrained performance, or make more mistakes than normal. "The boys" had to be on their best behavior that night, even though there was some language MTV couldn't air. Nowadays it would be on after midnight uncut. Comedy Central and MTV are run by the same company, so maybe VH1 Classic can show the uncut show one day.

As far as what's out there, the record company may have filmed some shows, the Stones may have filmed some shows, the stuff shot for "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City" prob. filmed the entire show just to have on hand.

U2 Live at Red Rocks and GNR at the Ritz exposed both bands to a national audience.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how much us fans seem to like the ritz show in 1988 when from comments Axl and slash have made it was a poor show with sound issues.

I think it comes down to that the Ritz show is the most well Known show they had (besides Paris 92) therefore it is the most memorable.

It's funny how much us fans seem to like the ritz show in 1988 when from comments Axl and slash have made it was a poor show with sound issues.

For me, it's the energy that makes The Ritz memorable. I watched it again a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and I'll admit, it was much sloppier than I remembered. But the energy, both from the band and the crowd, really stood out to me.

• 1 month later...