Appetite >>> Chinese?

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The multiple pro-reunion, anti-"new" Guns forum dwellers often tell us "Appetite" is simply way beyond "Chinese Democracy". I've taken the best twelve songs from "Chinese" and determined which I prefer against the "Appetite" tracklist. My own findings have not suggested "Appetite" is immeasurably "better"...

1. "Chinese Democracy" (< "Welcome to the Jungle")

2. "Shackler's Revenge" (> "It's so Easy")

3. "Better" (< "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" (> "Out Ta Get Me")

5. "If the World" (= "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" (> "Paradise City")

7. "Catcher in the Rye" (= "My Michelle")

8. "Sorry" (> "Think About You")

9. "IRS" (< "Sweet Child O' Mine)

10. "Madagascar" (> "You're Crazy")

11. "This I Love" (> "Anything Goes")

12. "Prostitute" (= "Rocket Queen")

6:3

Do yours?

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

PS The purpose of this thread isn't to imply "Chinese Democracy" > "Appetite" - it's to dispute the notion "Appetite" is >>> "Chinese Democracy" (time to realise the argument is like trying to say Jesus is a way better prophet than Muhammed because he's traditionally garnered more mass appeal - forgetting the reality a lot of people feel as strongly about Muhammed).

I disagree. I support Nu-GNR and I like many CD songs but for me Appetite is indeed >>>> CD. IMHO, its like this:

1. "Chinese Democracy" (< "Welcome to the Jungle")

2. "Shackler's Revenge" (< "It's so Easy")

3. "Better" (< "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" (< "Out Ta Get Me")

5. "If the World" (< "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" (< "Paradise City")

7. "Catcher in the Rye" (< "My Michelle")

8. "Sorry" (> "Think About You")

9. "IRS" (< "Sweet Child O' Mine)

10. "Madagascar" (< "You're Crazy")

11. "This I Love" (< "Anything Goes")

12. "Prostitute" (< "Rocket Queen")

1. "Chinese Democracy < "Welcome to the Jungle"

2. "Shackler's Revenge" < "It's so Easy"

3. "Better" < "Nightrain"

4. "Street of Dreams" < "Out Ta Get Me"

5. "If the World" < "Mr. Brownstone"

6. "There Was A Time" < "Paradise City"

7. "Catcher in the Rye" < "My Michelle"

8. "Sorry" < "Think About You"

9. "IRS" < "Sweet Child O' Mine"

10. "Madagascar" < "You're Crazy"

11. "This I Love" < "Anything Goes"

12. "Prostitute" < "Rocket Queen"

0:12.

IMO, it isn't even close on any of the tracks.

Edited by SunnyDRE

How do you even compare ? Two completely different styles...

It's like comparing NIN's "Broken" to NIN's "The Fragile"...

I've got to admit though : the AFD songs are WAY more fucking entertaining live than the CD songs ( even though I listen to CD a lot more than AFD ).

Guest siliconmessiah

I agree, but the truth is, everything that GNR will ever do, will be compared to AFD by media and casual fans. The hardcore fans can see beyond that, and is able to see that CD is a beast of its own, just like UYI and AFD!

Too bad that GNR as a band is fucked up.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It's not comparing - the matter doesn't need complicating. When listening to either song on a CD or MP3, which do you prefer? Simples.

...I would have said "Brownstone" outright prior to hearing "If the World" live (it totally altered my perception of the studio edition).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

It's not comparing - the matter doesn't need complicating. When listening to either song on a CD or MP3, which do you prefer? Simples.

How is that not comparing?

go listen gangstah rap

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

How is that not comparing?

It's not comparing the songs in terms of the components, genre, context, players etc. It's as simple as stating which one you prefer when you hear it...

go listen gangstah rap

Stop being a tool. It is ridiculous to say any song off of CD stands up to anything on AFD, aside from maybe "Your Crazy" or "Anything Goes".

I don't think it works on a track by track basis, unless you find the songs on each album that correspond thematically or sound-wise or something like that, not simply by track numbers.

That said, I prefer Chinese Democracy easily. Although:

- Nightrain, Paradise City and Rocket Queen are way ahead of any songs on Chinese Democracy

- replace the songs on Appetite with their best live versions and it's pretty even, maybe even with AFD slightly above

After hearing live renditions of them, most songs on AFD sound kind of bland to me. (I've got the same problem with almost every Queen rock track.) On the other hand I agree with the guy before who said that CD songs don't hold up as well live. (Except This I Love, where the live approach is a gigantic improvement.)

There are days when I will like everything off AFD better than anything on CD and there are days when I like everything on CD better than anything on AFD. It depends on my mood, they both have very different energy. I like both equally depending on what I am in the mood to hear. AFD has more notalgic factor for me byond the energy of the songs which I don't have with CD but besides that, all depends on mood. Now, I like both better than Lies, UYI (I & II) or TSI.

To each their own. Right now, Prostitute is my favorite song of the day off either album. Tomorrow....who knows.

Edited by mcalldp

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The point is (if you put "old" Guns greatest together it would blow everything "Chinese" wise bar maybe "There Was A Time" out of the water) "Appetite" isn't untouchable in the context being side by side with "Chinese Democracy".

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Guest siliconmessiah

25225d1271971176-apples-borsvarde-nu-hogre-microsofts-someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

Just enjoy the music and don´t ever compare a 1987 record to a 2008 one from a totally different band.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Just enjoy the music and don´t ever compare a 1987 record to a 2008 one from a totally different band.

I'll say it one more time... I'm not trying to compare or contrast "Chinese Democracy" with "Appetite. I'm simply asking users to check off their twelve strongest "Chinese" against the twelve "Appetite" untouchables... to illustrate the reality "Appetite" isn't as far and beyond as some would like to think.

Appetite is old, but still many songs from the album are played on the radio. They're classic songs.

Chinese is only a few years old, and it receives zero air play.

No contest :shrugs:

But to be fair, one album is a Guns N'Roses album. The other isn't :D

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The best songs off "Appetite" are arguably more enjoyable than the best off "Chinese Democracy" but songs like "Jungle" and "Nightrain" seem to almost camouflage the sheer averageness of tracks like "Anything Goes", "Easy" and "You're Crazy" ("Think About You" ain't so memorable either). I would say there is more consistency in "Chinese" whereas with "Appetite" iconic tracks are undoubtedly in a greater abundance (though "There Was A Time" and "Catcher" are pretty special).

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Appetite is old, but still many songs from the album are played on the radio. They're classic songs.

Mainstream sympathy for nostalgic rock songs doesn't in any way undermine "Chinese Democracy" (when's the last time you heard "Estranged" on the radio, or "Coma" - "Dead Horse"? Complexity and radio don't go together).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Mainstream sympathy for nostalgic rock songs doesn't in any way undermine "Chinese Democracy" (when's the last time you heard "Estranged" on the radio, or "Coma" - "Dead Horse"? Complexity and radio don't go together).

'Complexity and radio don't go together' - the excuses you types come up with - Lol! :D

People enjoy a good tune. AFD is full of them :thumbsup:

Its the 'nostalgic rock songs' that boost ticket sales.

Edited by star

go listen gangstah rap

If it makes you feel better, I would take two or three CD songs over some of the songs on the UYI's.

go listen gangstah rap

If it makes you feel better, I would take two or three CD songs over some of the songs on the UYI's.

my world? or perhaps Don't Cry (Alt Lyrics)?!, in all seriousness apart from those two there are very few others on UYI 1/2 I would substitute, although Madagascar, Better and Street of Dreams are great. Appetite weak? Mr Brownstone, Nightrain, My Michelle, Paradise City, (I could go on)......all amazing songs

on the other hand, over production, long time hype, and layering to death, doesn't make something memorable, or good necessarily.