"Electrionica with full guitars" - D'ya think Axl's still into that?

Cosmo

I know."Shit! Another CDII thread!" BUT...I was kinda wondering..Do you think Axl's still into that industrial rock stuff? I mean...

• First there's DJ, the guy's got nothing to do with that kind of music, differently than Robin, who was in NIN.
  • Then, there's Axl's "return" to classic-style Axl.
  • Then, there's the fact that songs such as TIL, SOD, Better and Sorry have been played a lot more on tour than songs like Scraped, Shackler's, Prostitute, TWAT, etc.. (CD breaks the rule tho).
  • Plus, no crazy guitar solos, all of them seem to try to re-capture what Slash did with the Godfather Theme.
  • In a few occasions on tour they have played classic rock n' roll tunes like Whole Lotta Rosie and Sonic Reducer.
  • Overall, the band seems to have a much more "old school rock n' roll" thing going on, while back in Bucket/Finck/Brain formation, they were complety into that industrial stuff.

Do you think maybe Axl's not into that stuff anymore, therefore he might be having doubts about releasing what acording to him is a much more "Electrionica with full guitars" album? He said once he changed the overall style of the band 'cause he couldn't find a proper blues-rock replacement for Slash. Maybe it might be the same thing now with Bucket... I dunno haha, just trippin' :tongue2: , what do you guys think?

I know."Shit! Another CDII thread!" BUT...I was kinda wondering..Do you think Axl's still into that industrial rock stuff? I mean...

• First there's DJ, the guy's got nothing to do with that kind of music, differently than Robin, who was in NIN.
  • Then, there's Axl's "return" to classic-style Axl.
  • Then, there's the fact that songs such as TIL, SOD, Better and Sorry have been played a lot more on tour than songs like Scraped, Shackler's, Prostitute, TWAT, etc.. (CD breaks the rule tho).
  • Plus, no crazy guitar solos, all of them seem to try to re-capture what Slash did with the Godfather Theme.
  • In a few occasions on tour they have played classic rock n' roll tunes like Whole Lotta Rosie and Sonic Reducer.
  • Overall, the band seems to have a much more "old school rock n' roll" thing going on, while back in Bucket/Finck/Brain formation, they were complety into that industrial stuff.

Do you think maybe Axl's not into that stuff anymore, therefore he might be having doubts about releasing what acording to him is a much more "Electrionica with full guitars" album? He said once he changed the overall style of the band 'cause he couldn't find a proper blues-rock replacement for Slash. Maybe it might be the same thing now with Bucket... I dunno haha, just trippin' :tongue2: , what do you guys think?

Good thread. I think Axl has moved on from that now, as he made that statement back in 1999-2000, so his musical taste has probably evolved. I definitely think 'Electronica' was a loose term used, as there are no remnants of the genre on the album, nor was there much live in 2001-2002. 'Industrial' would have been a better term, as Riad, Chidem and Silkworms definitely sounded a lot more industrial then electronica. Silkworms was the closest thing to electronica, and even then, only some parts of it were. I think Axl tinkered with the songs so much that he eventually found a middle ground of just enough guitars, just enough piano, just enough synth etc. Songs like TWAT, SOD and Prostitute capture that ideal pretty well, they all have the same evenness of instruments. SOD went from an upbeat and bright song, to a slower and classier song. Chidem went from having a full synth back during the verse, to dirty guitar, and was also slowed down. I think it took Axl a while to find the 'sound' he wanted, but I don't think it was ever really Electronica. This is just my viewing though.

I just fucking loved the freaky-Electrionica-industrial 2001 line-up. It was fucking amazing and I would love a reuniuon of this line-up.

Now what we have is another old but good rock n' roll line-up, yet not original, which, honestly, I like pretty much (mainly 4tus) but did not exactly take my heart.

I'm not exactly a Slashit but I learned to love the freaky Bucket/Robin songs and line-up.

Which means I would love a reunion (whether of the original or the freaky one).

Guest siliconmessiah

Interesting discussions here.

Looking back throughout the years, GNR has certainly evolved and changed during 2001-2011.

Axl was clearly aiming for something more industrial back in 2001 (examples: silkworms and oh my god), but in the end, things came out pretty "rockish" anyway, looking at CD.

As a fan, I am disappointed that the releases were so few during 2001-2011, so we kind off missed out to really hear the evolving.

My personal view is that I would have liked to hear more of the "Electronica with full guitars" with Bucket, Finck and Brain before it all crumbled. Looking at the current lineup, I have the feeling that the coming record (?) will not be too experimental, and that might as well be good too, even though I am not a DJ Ashba or BBF fan at all (BBF has a cool attitude, but I don´t like his playing-style). With all this said, I thought that CD would be more "Electronica with full guitars", and I think it was planned to be in the first place, but things changed during the years of making.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Seeing as Chris Pittman is still in the band I'm gonna go with YES.

They had Dizzy in 91.

I think it's possible that Axl has realised that CD didn't sell that well. (lets be honast, it didn't) So is, to a degree, going back to the roots to try and make it more sucsessful.

They had Dizzy in 91.

I think it's possible that Axl has realised that CD didn't sell that well. (lets be honast, it didn't) So is, to a degree, going back to the roots to try and make it more sucsessful.

To be honest I don't even think that CD itself strayed hugely far from the roots of GN'R. Obviously with different musicians and productions techniques it's sonically vastly different to older Guns stuff but in terms of song structures etc it's not massively different from a lot of stuff from the UYI era.

They had Dizzy in 91.

To be honest I don't even think that CD itself strayed hugely far from the roots of GN'R. Obviously with different musicians and productions techniques it's sonically vastly different to older Guns stuff but in terms of song structures etc it's not massively different from a lot of stuff from the UYI era.

Agreed,it could be looked on as an evolution from UYIs,although I love that sick solo in Shacklers.UYIs were complex and multilayered for the most part.I love this style,and now that it is determined that nobody is leaving,I'm amped for this fall.

That's what I'm thinking. I think axls moved on from that. But he has albums worth of music with that genre. I still think axl should move forward with the current band and record with...well the current band.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think the fact he still keeps Pitman in the formation doesn't really mean he's still going for industrial rock... Didn't they try to make an AFD type of album in the mid 90's before the band broke up? I remember reading something like this somewhere. Well, my point is... they still had Dizzy back then.

Axl was not aiming for a NIN type electronica sound.

Axl is and has always been about the GnR sound progressing and growing. That is why there was conflict with Slash and Duff. Slash and Duff were satisfied staying the same.

Axl is truly a musician. He wants to be known for creating NEW music that nobody has ever done before.

CD 1 was really just GnR finding its voice back, as well as paying of GnR debt to the record company.

GnR will have more freedom with CD 2. So as Axl explicitly stated, the GnR sound will become more progressive and different with each new subsequential GnR album.

So the question remains to be seen, how different the GnR sound will become.

Seeing as Chris Pittman is still in the band I'm gonna go with YES.

They had Dizzy in 91.

Dizzy plays the piano/organ while Chris uses a synthesizer. There's a big difference between them in what they bring to the songs.

Axl was not aiming for a NIN type electronica sound.

Axl is and has always been about the GnR sound progressing and growing. That is why there was conflict with Slash and Duff. Slash and Duff were satisfied staying the same.

Axl is truly a musician. He wants to be known for creating NEW music that nobody has ever done before.

CD 1 was really just GnR finding its voice back, as well as paying of GnR debt to the record company.

GnR will have more freedom with CD 2. So as Axl explicitly stated, the GnR sound will become more progressive and different with each new subsequential GnR album.

So the question remains to be seen, how different the GnR sound will become.

I know what you're trying to say, no offense but although he wasn't aiming for a NIN type sound, according to him, NIN was a something he was really into in the late 90's, he was really into that type of music. The conflict between Axl, Slash, Duff n' co. goes beyong musical differences, even though that was too a factor. It was also about personality differences, contractual estabilishment and things of such. CD1 was also more than just paying the debt to the record company, it was, according to axl, the songs that resembled old GnR the most, being guitar-based and such while CD2 was more "electronica with full guitars", that being because the fans wouldn't be "ready" for that type of music on CD1. The thing is, Axl's actions lately haven't really pointed out for that direction. It's as if that love he had for NIN-type music is fading. That's what I meant by my thread.

That's what I'm thinking. I think axls moved on from that. But he has albums worth of music with that genre. I still think axl should move forward with the current band and record with...well the current band.

I do too, but I'd love to hear those albums chock full of industrial rock...and I also want to hear the re-recorded AFD.

Guest Len B'stard
He said once he changed the overall style of the band 'cause he couldn't find a proper blues-rock replacement for Slash.

I think that statement should be written on a concrete plinth and stuffed down the throat of every Slash hater.

Guest gunns5

^ Just a question, what do you find appealing about Dizzy. I just find the guy musically redundant in the band from UYI days to the present. Honestly I reckon every member of the band, past or present, has brought something of value musically and/or has a defining moment on record. Dizzy just doesnt do anything for me, sorry to any of his supporters.

I think dizzy is like pitman, hes one of those members who you only learn to appreciate them until you hear the band Without them. Dizzy's a great pianist and I think he really contributes enormously to the live band.

Edited by gunns5

^ Just a question, what do you find appealing about Dizzy. I just find the guy musically redundant in the band from UYI days to the present. Honestly I reckon every member of the band, past or present, has brought something of value musically and/or has a defining moment on record. Dizzy just doesnt do anything for me, sorry to any of his supporters.

I think dizzy is like pitman, hes one of those members who you only learn to appreciate them until you hear the band Without them. Dizzy's a great pianist and I think he really contributes enormously to the live band.

I agree,once you start listening to each separate part it is very apparent Dizzy contributes a great deal.

Guest siliconmessiah

^ I guess I dont like Ashba for the whole Slash shtick he has going on but I guess Slash probably one of his biggest heroes so maybe that kinda excuses it...but I digress, that being said I think hes gonna be the guy if anyone to get Axl back to hard rock and get him working on songs.

Besides the hats I don't really see much Slash Shtick. Slash didn't invent smoking on stage and pretty much every guitar player for GNR has a Les Paul.

Ashba´s got the moves, the looks and also play the same songs.

I am disappointed that Axl didn´t follow through with Finck and Buckethead.

But at the same time, I hope Axl releases new material so DJ Ashba gets to prove what he´s doing and not only playing covers and covers of covers and look like Slash.

Edited by siliconmessiah

In the Del interview in early 2009, Axl said that the next album will have the same style & players, so I expect that it will flow with the first album.

Then again, he hasn't mentioned the next album since then, on any level. God only knows what he wants to do now.