Axl Rose Hires Famous Brazilian Personal Trainer

Cosmo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rio debacle can have one of two effects. It could ruin Axl or it can prove to be an extreme motivator to never be in that situation again. His hiring of a trainer seems to add proof that the latter may be the case.

but,but he's not fat. he looks like most average 50 year olds.... :rolleyes:

Are you actually disputing that? I'd wager he is actually in better shape than the average 50 year old American man.

Ali

He's a rock star. Rock stars are not fat and certainly not average American men lol.

Good to hear if it's true.

Rock stars are not fat or overweight/bloated? Duff must have missed that memo in the early 90's. Same thing with Meat Loaf, Scott Stapp and Rob Thomas. They're human, so human issues are not beyond them.

I really don't get it why people have the need to say "he's human" over and over after RIR. Sure he's human, rockstars are human, they're not fucking Martians. The image of a fatass is not really what comes to mind when you think of a rockstar now does it?

I mean really, do you think of Axl as an average middle aged man? Sure, he's a man and he's middle aged but he's Axl fucking Rose.

Do you really not get it? The problem with the image you described is that it isn't reality. It's a distortion. I just listed several rock stars that have had issues with their weight over the years, just like regular people (aka humans). It's not unheard of. That's reality, not your "image" of a rock star.

Ali

Yeah man I do get it, it's totally obvious.

Let me explain. Do you think Meat Loaf (let's leave his music aside, but he was mentioned earlier) with his fat ass looks like a prototypical rockstar? Probably not. Sure the "prototypical rockstar" is just an "image" but it's in our heads. When you think "rockstar" you think "badass", not "Meat Loaf fat". People don't (or at least didn't) think of real rockstars as mere mortals, they are something more, forces of nature, idols. This image is partly what makes rock what it is. That's why I said a rockstar is not an average Joe.

You're taking an extreme example, though. Scott Stapp and Rob Thomas are successful frontmen that by and large have been in good shape throughout their careers, but have had periods where they have struggled. There are no absolutes and "badass rockstars" are not above some of the struggles that the rest of us are subject to.

Ali

The hell? No one is arguing that he's inhuman or that other rock stars haven't struggled with weight. The point is they changed their image because it affected their ability to perform as rock stars, as well as their image; that's why Axl should make it a priority to get in better shape: for himself, for his fans, for his ability to perform. No one's like, WOW AXL IS THE FIRST ROCK STAR TO EVER LOOK OVERWEIGHT! If Johnny Depp got fat a few months from now people would be calling him fat too and saying he should lose weight. The reason you don't have a vested interest in the "average American" who's 50 years old and overweight is because they aren't a public figure and we don't have an interest in them. Celebs like Axl feel like more than just anonymous figures to most of us, so of course we're interested in seeing them healthy.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Are you actually disputing that? I'd wager he is actually in better shape than the average 50 year old American man.

Ali

He's a rock star. Rock stars are not fat and certainly not average American men lol.

Rock stars are not fat or overweight/bloated? Duff must have missed that memo in the early 90's. Same thing with Meat Loaf, Scott Stapp and Rob Thomas. They're human, so human issues are not beyond them.

I really don't get it why people have the need to say "he's human" over and over after RIR. Sure he's human, rockstars are human, they're not fucking Martians. The image of a fatass is not really what comes to mind when you think of a rockstar now does it?

I mean really, do you think of Axl as an average middle aged man? Sure, he's a man and he's middle aged but he's Axl fucking Rose.

Do you really not get it? The problem with the image you described is that it isn't reality. It's a distortion. I just listed several rock stars that have had issues with their weight over the years, just like regular people (aka humans). It's not unheard of. That's reality, not your "image" of a rock star.

Ali

Let me explain. Do you think Meat Loaf (let's leave his music aside, but he was mentioned earlier) with his fat ass looks like a prototypical rockstar? Probably not. Sure the "prototypical rockstar" is just an "image" but it's in our heads. When you think "rockstar" you think "badass", not "Meat Loaf fat". People don't (or at least didn't) think of real rockstars as mere mortals, they are something more, forces of nature, idols. This image is partly what makes rock what it is. That's why I said a rockstar is not an average Joe.

You're taking an extreme example, though. Scott Stapp and Rob Thomas are successful frontmen that by and large have been in good shape throughout their careers, but have had periods where they have struggled. There are no absolutes and "badass rockstars" are not above some of the struggles that the rest of us are subject to.

Ali

The hell? No one is arguing that he's inhuman or that other rock stars haven't struggled with weight. The point is they changed their image because it affected their ability to perform as rock stars, as well as their image; that's why Axl should make it a priority to get in better shape: for himself, for his fans, for his ability to perform. No one's like, WOW AXL IS THE FIRST ROCK STAR TO EVER LOOK OVERWEIGHT! If Johnny Depp got fat a few months from now people would be calling him fat too and saying he should lose weight. The reason you don't have a vested interest in the "average American" who's 50 years old and overweight is because they aren't a public figure and we don't have an interest in them. Celebs like Axl feel like more than just anonymous figures to most of us, so of course we're interested in seeing them healthy.

Most movie stars let themselves go when they're not filming/promoting, and the paparazzi usually gets them.

Anyone in a high profile field is going to be criticized on their weight. It can get really nasty, and the extremes some people put themselves through can land them in the hospital or a body bag.

Ali

Ali

I agree... he's human but you can't compare him to the "average" middle aged person... unlike the average middle aged person, he's rich and has the resources and time to get a personal trainer and workout daily.. most people don't have that luxury. Too bad he obviously didn't chose to do that before Rio.

Exactly. The average middle aged man goes to McDonald's for breakfast, commutes to work, then sits at a desk for the next 8 hours before going home and crashing on the couch with a beer and probably more poor food choices. Then it's off to bed.

It's so obvious that Axl has more freedom to avoid the pitfalls that the average man will fall into during his life. For every celeb like Meatloaf, you've got two or three Steven Tylers or Mick Jaggers. It's obvious that you can look fit and chiseled like Duff McKagan (who is also pushing 50), but you gotta put in the work that Duff puts in. On top of all that, Duff actually does more than Axl as a musician and writer, he went back to school I think as well and got his degree, etc.

Not bagging on Axl. It's a little late as the decision should clearly have been made well before Rio, but if true this is a good move and is probably him acknowledging the fact that he should be doing something about his conditioning. So while even the man himself acknowledges this, you've got posters here saying "nah, he looks great for his age." I mean, holy cow.

Edited by KBear

Ali

Ali

Ali

No shit they changed their conditioning and got in better shape because it helped their performance. Why do you think I cited the examples I did? All of them went through a phase of being overweight and bounced back. Axl can and may yet still do that. Some people a reality check to realize that as we age our metabolisms slow down, so it won't be as easy to improve our conditioning at 50 than it would be at 30. So, have some fucking patience :thumbsup: And please don't pretend that all these comments about his weight were about "wanting to see him healthy". Like any other celebrity who gains weight, a lot of the comments are in the form of mean-spirited, juvenile ridicule.

Ali

Ali

Ali

Ali

No shit they changed their conditioning and got in better shape because it helped their performance. Why do you think I cited the examples I did? All of them went through a phase of being overweight and bounced back. Axl can and may yet still do that. Some people a reality check to realize that as we age our metabolisms slow down, so it won't be as easy to improve our conditioning at 50 than it would be at 30. So, have some fucking patience :thumbsup: And please don't pretend that all these comments about his weight were about "wanting to see him healthy". Like any other celebrity who gains weight, a lot of the comments are in the form of mean-spirited, juvenile ridicule.

Ali

• 1 year later...

but,but he's not fat. he looks like most average 50 year olds.... http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

Ali

The average 50 year old American man must be a fat sack of shit then.

but,but he's not fat. he looks like most average 50 year olds.... http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

Ali

Well, obesity rates are high in the US :awesomeface:

Ali

I believe Axl is thinner than the average 51 year old American (the mean value is actually 92.3 kg for people of all races between 50 and 60 in the US):

largeVVueLNc-yHfV8uBOd2JgcsoUtwlVw0SW_tb

Even without correlating for height, that sure doesn't look like a 90 kg man to me.

It's not a thing about bashing Axl for being a fatty per se. It's that the shape he's in is clearly affecting his ability to do his job. I mean he's clearly drinking far too much and is carrying a good 30 pounds more than he should be. If he could do that and still manage to perform as he was in 06/10 then cool but it's obviously having an impact. :shrugs:

It's not a thing about bashing Axl for being a fatty per se. It's that the shape he's in is clearly affecting his ability to do his job. I mean he's clearly drinking far too much and is carrying a good 30 pounds more than he should be. If he could do that and still manage to perform as he was in 06/10 then cool but it's obviously having an impact. :shrugs:

DING DING DING We Have A Winner

I don't think it has much of an impact, really. At least I haven't heard many examples of him running out of breath lately. And it is not like you have to be physically fit to be a good singer with awesome vocal stamina (just look at numerous opera singers). I mean, if he was running around and getting exhausted so he couldn't sing anymore, then yes, he would either have to get fitter or stop running while singing, but judging by videos from gigs this year, it seems like the problems he has with his voice is not related to his physical state. I might be wrong, though.