Frank

Tonyp44

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think he was a HUGE downgrade from Brain ( who is one of the best really ) but after seeing him live, I think Frank is a very solid rock drummer.

Live you get to appreciate and "feel" ( especially if you are front row ) his drumming way more and you get to realize all the subtle things that he adds to the original parts.

I think that Frank is the best fit for this band.

In what way? Not a single person outside of these boards would know/care if he were replaced tomorrow. Isn't he only in because he played w/Fortus or something?

I don't think so. I think Axl likes him otherwise he wouldn't be drumming for them for 5 years. First of all he is a great drummer ,from all the clips i've seen and when i saw him live ,he never missed a beat.

I like his feel it's like Josh with a bit of Sorum there. Not sayin' that he is a hybrid of them as a drummer ,just the feel.

Why the best fit? go trough any drummer GN'R has ever had and try to imagine this current band with them. Who would you choose?

I agree that Frank is one of the best drummers they ever had. He is not afraid to ride the crash symbol, which is a huge plus in my book. Just a personal preference really. I have never seen any of the other drummers do that. It just gives everything that awesome, full, rock sound.

Guest gunns5

He's no Brain and his drumming is very much painting by numbers but I like him.Personally I would love Brain back.I really think Guns missed a trick by not keeping him longer.

Agreed, I liked Brain in the band however Frank is more enthusiastic in the live setting, you can't get it both ways I suppose.

Frank is really good, you can't deny it. And what is even more important, he fits for this band.

Steven Adler, Brain and Frank are my favorites GN'R drummers.

Steven was the best in Appetite Era. There's no other drummer that could fits better than Steven, at least that time.

Brain & Frank are great in new GN'R. Period.

I don't really like Matt Sorum and his drumming, I'm happy he's out of GN'R.

Frank's just doing his job, like a hired hand should. Neither here nor there, just keeping to the beat, laying low, getting paid. Respect. That's GN'R these days, Axl and a bunch of other guys who get paid to attempt to hit everything note for note, hitting, missing, more so in the guitar department. Axl's the main pull, although not for me. I won't be seeing GN'R live again, as back in 2001 it simply wasn't GN'R, not a patch on the 1993 GN'R I got to see live - now thart was hard rock n'roll, with good feeling :thumbsup:

Matt Sorum was always better than Adler for note precise-ness. I liked Adler more, as he fitted the AFD sound so much better :shrugs:

Edited by star

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It’s all about the guitarists and singer, frankly. Drummer excellence is a bonus but not imperative.

Frank does a job. The Rocket Queen intro is boss.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

wrong drums and bass are the heart of every band

I think in the case of GN’R the guitarists and singer dictate.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

It’s all about the guitarists and singer, frankly. Drummer excellence is a bonus but not imperative.

Frank does a job. The Rocket Queen intro is boss.

wrong drums and bass are the heart of every band

Yup ,there is no denying that

I don't know man...it's funny how opinions can be totally different. I think Frank is the best GNR drummer they ever had :shrugs:

Just listen to that kick ass groove in Brownstone at Rio for example.

frank is one of my fave drummers just behind steven and brain

Frank is good bc he doesn't use the stupid drum roll that sorum uses 75 times in nov rain

I actually prefer Sorum's fills in Novemeber Rain than Frank's or Brain's. Sorum's big hits and the love of tom tom drums made that song. Frank N' Brain do a killer job of November Rain but in my opinion Sorum played that tune perfectly.

totally agreed....while I think that on many of the UYI songs Sorum over-did it and the drums sounded to precise and cold...the two songs in which I really like the drums are November Rain and YCBM..November Rain was really well recorded all together

Gotta be honest. I don't care who's on drums. Never have. Unless they totally stand out like Bonham in Zeppelin it doesn't matter to me. I think Frank is just fine.

I agree. Unless I'm purposely listening to the drums in the song (and even then very rarely) or something truly extraordinary is being done (Bonham, as you said) they could have a drum machine for all I care.

Frank's the best drummer they've ever had. Period.

no Adler is

Adler sucked shit. Axl admitted himself when Matt came along that it was weird having a drummer who could actually play for the first time.

Matt was a step-up, but robotic.

Brain couldn't keep time and fucked up a lot.

Frank wins.

Adler "sucked shit"? Maybe you oughtta go watch the Ritz gig, again. Then come back and try to tell me Adler sucked shit. Steven carried that show along with Axl. Also, maybe you oughtta watch the 1988 MTV VMA's again. And the Late Show appearance. And Philly 88. And even the much-maligned farm-aid.

Axl didn't like Steve because Steve was fucked up all the time and therefore couldn't grow as a drummer. Also, if you know your shit, then there's also accusations that Adler, much like he did on celebrity rehab/sober house, mouthed off to Axl during his time with the band. There's also rumors he gave Erin Everly a speed ball, but I have not seen that confirmed.

Matt was NOT a step-up. He was a step-up only in that he was reliable as an employee. Whether or not Matt was boring because he was a boring drummer or because he had to keep it stupidly metronomic because the rest of the band was fucked up, the fact remains he was boring. Plus his timbre sucked. SUCKED BALLS. Perhaps a little better sound to his kit for live shows, but not one single guns n roses fan actually look me in the eye and tell me matt was a more exciting drummer. Steven brought the funk and snap to the band, and even at 12 years old when UYI dropped, I immediately resented Sorum's contributions, and missed Adler's sound.

Brain "couldn't keep time and fucked up a lot"?! Are you fucking kidding me? Show me, if you would, where you derived that from. I'd like to know....

Brain > Frank > Adler > Matt

Brain is without doubt the best drummer to share the same stage as Axl.

Where Adler wins, is stage presence. The camera was as eger to point at Adler, as much as it was interested to point at Axl and Slash. Sure Alder wasn't perfect, but neither were any of them - they were a garage band that got lucky, big too. Somewhere along the way, this side of GN'R has vanished.

Edited by star

Frank's the best drummer they've ever had. Period.

no Adler is

Adler sucked shit. Axl admitted himself when Matt came along that it was weird having a drummer who could actually play for the first time.

Matt was a step-up, but robotic.

Brain couldn't keep time and fucked up a lot.

Frank wins.

Stevens drumming was the best thing on Appetite.

Certainly makes Welcome To The Jungle the song it was. No offence to any member since but it never sounded as good as when he played them cowbells.

Edited by spunko12345