The Chinese Democracy Years: 1994 – 2008

classicrawker

Thanks to John Bohnam I found this while reading a post on "the other forum".......It is a 15 part article which gives a year by year look at ChiDem from 1994-2008. I pasted the entire article into Word so I can save it and it is 27 pages long but is an interesting read....you can read each year at your leisure.......

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

Slash wrote in his autobiography, “and I think it’s pretty easy to tell which songs he wrote and which ones I wrote: all of my songs are directed at one person… though no one picked up on it at the time. I used the record as an opportunity to vent a lot of shit that I needed to get off my chest.” - Slash

:D

According to Slash the album took 26 days to record and mix – much to Axl’s surprise. As the guitarist remembered the following year, “All of a sudden, after the album was finished, [Axl] goes: ‘Remember those tapes I have? You know, I want to…’ He didn’t know we’d finished the record. And he goes: ‘[i like] this song, this song, this song, this song and this song’. And I went: ‘Dude – we finished it already. It’s gone’. And he goes: ‘You couldn’t have done an album in two weeks’. I said: ‘Oh yeah. I can’. You can do that. And it turned into a big fight.”

So Axl did like some off the Snakepit stuff.

This was issued as a supliment/magazine back in 2008. It was bundled with the normal classic rock mag and the paper 'loop' used to hold the magazines together was designed to look like a bandana. Nice item and always makes an interesting read.

Matt Sorum, meanwhile, introduced Rose to former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck. Sorum later told Spin: “I told Axl to see him and he said ‘That’s our guitar player,’” says Sorum. “I said, ‘Bring in Robin to play alongside Slash,’ but Axl said, ‘I want him to play lead.’”

So Matt Sorum takes full credit for Robin Finck being hired by Axl Rose. Well I never knew that!

..If Sorum hadkept his mouth shut, then who knows :shrugs:

Edited by star

I wanna hear the album Duff and Izzy turned in.

Me, too. Sounds interesting.

Wow, didn't know CITR was scheduled as the lead single.

That article makes me think about all of the cool material that will never see the light of day... Zakk Wylde + GnR, Izzy + Duff, First nuGnR formation, so much cool stuff....

That was really just rumor at the time. There was also a supposed image from the "video shoot" which was to be baseball themed, and the image showed a supposed Axl dancing with all of these Chinese girls with '02-era Robin haircuts. I'm thinking some of them may have had KFC buckets on their head, maybe I'm making that part up. Can't remember...

That was really just rumor at the time. There was also a supposed image from the "video shoot" which was to be baseball themed, and the image showed a supposed Axl dancing with all of these Chinese girls with '02-era Robin haircuts. I'm thinking some of them may have had KFC buckets on their head, maybe I'm making that part up. Can't remember...

do want

didn't he go to China in the late 90s and film parts of CITR also, before he was banned by the Chinese government?

the whole thing is a bit sad really

Matt Sorum, meanwhile, introduced Rose to former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck. Sorum later told Spin: “I told Axl to see him and he said ‘That’s our guitar player,’” says Sorum. “I said, ‘Bring in Robin to play alongside Slash,’ but Axl said, ‘I want him to play lead.’”

So Matt Sorum takes full credit for Robin Finck being hired by Axl Rose. Well I never knew that!

..If Sorum hadkept his mouth shut, then who knows :shrugs:

Wow! I never knew that.

Thanks to John Bohnam I found this while reading a post on "the other forum".......It is a 15 part article which gives a year by year look at ChiDem from 1994-2008. I pasted the entire article into Word so I can save it and it is 27 pages long but is an interesting read....you can read each year at your leisure.......

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

The original article/booklet that was bundled with the issue of "Classic Rock" Magazine, credits http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

*just saying*.

thats interesting stuff, but also really sad....I dunno

i was gonna say the same thing, its kinda depressing, even though we did eventually get chinese democracy, will we ever hear the rest of the material? it seems axl keeps getting in this disputes with the record company over shit, the best thing we can hope for is one more album of chinese session stuff

Great read. It paints a very different picture to how and why GN'R fell apart, and the chaos, time passing by all the while trying to create a new album without any real direction or ideas at all. At times it appears Axl just wanted a new sound for the sake of new sound because he had lost interest in the original sound. Towards the end he became desparate and appear to go back to some original 'old' songs. That guy whole Axl got to listen too all the new material only for him to say, you've got 3 good tracks, thats it. At that work rate it would have taken 30 years for a new album.

Yeah these articles are very interesting - and kind of sad to be perfectly honest

So much potential and wasted opportunities. Reading how much stuff was worked on as early as 1994 and so far all that has been released is one album that couldn't escape a handful of errors and didn't utilize the full potential the band has/had... well let's hope they make this next record and US tour count

The articles also shed some interesting light on the transition from the old lineup to the new lineup

It was proved fake back then. And the whole concept was ridiculous anyways...