10/10 Santa Fe, Argentina at Salon Metropolitano Rosario - SOLD OUT -LIVE UPDATES

Guest Gunns

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps "set list" isn't even a good term for it, but more of a "song list" so to speak. I don't believe that was ever intended to be Rio's set list, but since GNR makes the set as they go, they had to give SOMETHING to the Rio crew. The latter half of it just didn't make sense for a finished and revised set list. That's more than likely just the list of songs that has been rehearsed for this tour, and they can pick and choose as they go. I bet we'll see more thrown in as we go. For example, "Riff Raff" didn't make an appearance at Rio but did the following show. It's still early in the tour, we have lots of shows and lots of time!

I agree, "song list" is better. When I saw that picture on a Brazilian website I knew it wouldn't be the setlist for the RIR show specially because there were 8 or 9 songs after Paradise City, I figured they would choose songs from that list and play a 2 or 2.5-hour set. But still, I'm thrilled by the idea of hearing Oh My God on this tour! :D

Indeed, that one caught me quite off guard - I figured they'd long since "forgotten" that song. Riff Raff was a surprise to see too, as I never would have guessed they'd throw another AC/DC song into the mix.

If anyone for a second thinks that ANY Chinese Democracy songs should take precedence over either Don't Cry or Estranged being staples, you are insane.

Perhaps, but aren't we allowed to want a CD song in ADDITION to Estranged and Don't Cry? I'm thinking a Tokyo 2009 set list. ;)

Perhaps "set list" isn't even a good term for it, but more of a "song list" so to speak. I don't believe that was ever intended to be Rio's set list, but since GNR makes the set as they go, they had to give SOMETHING to the Rio crew. The latter half of it just didn't make sense for a finished and revised set list. That's more than likely just the list of songs that has been rehearsed for this tour, and they can pick and choose as they go. I bet we'll see more thrown in as we go. For example, "Riff Raff" didn't make an appearance at Rio but did the following show. It's still early in the tour, we have lots of shows and lots of time!

I agree, "song list" is better. When I saw that picture on a Brazilian website I knew it wouldn't be the setlist for the RIR show specially because there were 8 or 9 songs after Paradise City, I figured they would choose songs from that list and play a 2 or 2.5-hour set. But still, I'm thrilled by the idea of hearing Oh My God on this tour! :D

Indeed, that one caught me quite off guard - I figured they'd long since "forgotten" that song. Riff Raff was a surprise to see too, as I never would have guessed they'd throw another AC/DC song into the mix.

If anyone for a second thinks that ANY Chinese Democracy songs should take precedence over either Don't Cry or Estranged being staples, you are insane.

Perhaps, but aren't we allowed to want a CD song in ADDITION to Estranged and Don't Cry? I'm thinking a Tokyo 2009 set list. ;)

I respect a desire for any song on CD to be played live, but just not in the place of one of the all time classics.

I wouldn't complain at all if they got rid of Live and Let Die altogether from the standard set list.

Plus 1. Also time to replace knockin' with something/anything else.

no fucking way...I'm very excited to see heaven's door in live...the 'audience participation' part is great...that final scream always gives me goosebumps...it's so epic...there's no way they're getting rid of that song...it's a timeless staple...even izzy said that it was something he was most proud of...that they managed to elevate that simple song to a whole other level...and i think that every line-up of guns has managed to give it a new touch...the RockAmRing '06 version is also a great one

I wouldn't complain at all if they got rid of Live and Let Die altogether from the standard set list.

Plus 1. Also time to replace knockin' with something/anything else.

no fucking way...I'm very excited to see heaven's door in live...the 'audience participation' part is great...that final scream always gives me goosebumps...it's so epic...there's no way they're getting rid of that song...it's a timeless staple...even izzy said that it was something he was most proud of...that they managed to elevate that simple song to a whole other level...and i think that every line-up of guns has managed to give it a new touch...the RockAmRing '06 version is also a great one

Also, both KOHD and LALD are two of their more popular songs of all time. Makes perfect sense that they would keep them in. (I say this as someone who doesn't particularly care for LALD) Honestly, it would make a lot more sense to replace Mr. Brownstone, ISE, Rocket Queen or Nightrain - although we all love those songs, they aren't the 'big hits' necessarily.

Full set list for anybody who missed the updates:

[intro]

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Sorry

[Fortus Solo - James Bond Theme]

Live and Let Die

Estranged

Rocket Queen

This I Love

Better

[band Intro/Dizzy Solo - Baba O'Riley]

Street Of Dreams

You Could Be Mine

[Ashba Solo - Mi Amor]

Sweet Child O' Mine

[Jam - Another Brick in the Wall]

November Rain

[bumblefoot Solo - Pink Panther]

Don't Cry

Riff Raff

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Nightrain

Encore:

[Jam]

Madagascar

Patience

[Jam]

Paradise City

Hmm not really surprised with tonights setlist, but then again theres a fair amount of speculation with the new songs being debuted at the u.s shows.

To me it makes no sense to debut anything to a US audience when the rest of the world is so much more knowledgeable about the current band and lineup. Imagine the buzz from the debut of something new at Rio and the hype built up from there?

If Axl wants to play something not many US concert goers have heard then play anything from Chi Dem. With all respect to the US fan base, all they are expecting is a greatest hits session from appetite and illusion.

Hmm not really surprised with tonights setlist, but then again theres a fair amount of speculation with the new songs being debuted at the u.s shows.

To me it makes no sense to debut anything to a US audience when the rest of the world is so much more knowledgeable about the current band and lineup. Imagine the buzz from the debut of something new at Rio and the hype built up from there?

If Axl wants to play something not many US concert goers have heard then play anything from Chi Dem. With all respect to the US fan base, all they are expecting is a greatest hits session from appetite and illusion.

True, but everything was against Axl at Rio. He wasn't having the best time vocally, the weather was crap, everything was against him. He might of had the intention to play a new song their, however the circumstances didn't allow it.

Edited by gunns5

They should be practicing any new songs in (the more forgiving) latin america so they can peak in North America and blow them away.

Unfortunately the only real way to blow the US audience away significantly is to appear on a major TV show (MTV awards etc...) and DELIVER. But they probably won't appear on any TV shows because they can't seem to deliver when they're there.

But this is a sure way of showing the US audience they are "back" and good again. (if they are). Playing a new song to YOUR audience isn't going to blow anyone away or show the US that they're back. It's just going to excite some of the audience that already came to see you, but the majority of the crowd in a gig situation want to hear songs they know.

I'm not saying that playing new songs is bad and I don't want them to, I'm just saying this will not have any real impact on the world outside of the forums. It's like when they played better and IRS in 2006, no one gave a fuck. Same will happen if they play more new songs. You need to reach out to a bigger audience or release a new album AND support it commercially.

I don't think a tv audience wants to be blown away really. they just sort of want to slip into a coma as soon as possible. it's seems like they are done road testing CD songs are ready to put on the best show they can for the US. Chi Dem, Better, SOD, Sorry, TIL are ready to go.

I don't think a tv audience wants to be blown away really. they just sort of want to slip into a coma as soon as possible. it's seems like they are done road testing CD songs are ready to put on the best show they can for the US. Chi Dem, Better, SOD, Sorry, TIL are ready to go.

Why though? It's not like people can go and buy the cd from Best Buy! There must be a grand plan here, time will tell or leave us with more questions!

Maybe you're right but people here are expecting something to happen once GNR play a new song at their own gigs and it won't.

I don't think GNR will play an awards show, but if people on here want a reaction to GNR then that's how they're going to get what they want. Except a couple of blogs or a MAYBE a mention in a column in rolling stone or whatever, nothing will happen.

Edited by Longpig