Hamilton, ON November 28th 2011 @ copps Coliseum

fallingred85

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All,

So I thought I'd add my two cents about last night's show. It was my 14th GNR concert of the last 9 years and I would say it was probably one of the best in terms of overall performance. Here's a few random thoughts:

Setlist: easily one of the best I've seen. Having never seen Don't Cry or Estranged performed live it was a treat for this fan who grew up with the band in the late 80s/early 90s. It was my girlfriend's first GNR show and for someone who has never seen them in the last ten years you really get everything you'd ever want out of a GNR show. Really no complaints about the setlist (even though as someone who had seen an iteration of this show 13 times beforehand I knew the basic format and setlist, it was still great).

Performance: great effort put out by everyone. Really appreciate the "showmanship" by all members of the band. No buddy was mailing it in; they all acted like they loved playing every song (even though I'm sure some do, but having been in a band, I know how uninteresting it can be to play the same songs over and over again). Really made the show exciting to watch with everyone so into the music. Axl really can dance up a storm. Not sure how he doesn't sweat through his leather jacket; must be a million degrees up there.

Vocals: Axl of 2011 seems to be an amalgamation of the Axls of the past ten years. There are times he sounds like he did in 2002, then you get the 2006, and finally there are songs he sounds as good if not better than he did in 2010. I felt like if you're a fan of the "rasp," the first four songs (Chinese Democracy, Jungle, It's So Easy and most of Mr. Brownstone) were for you. At other times it sounds like he'd scale it back and have that high-pitched mickey mouse voice that he used in 2002. This was especially the case in songs like Sorry, Sweet Child, Rocket Queen and most of the songs in the middle of the set. It wasn't until Riff Raff that he unleashed the fury of his vocals again. Most of the songs in the encore sounded like he was reliving 2006. Basically, if you're worried about going to an upcoming GNR show and Axl sounding like he did in 2002, there's good news and bad news. He does at points, but he lets the rasp fly when it counts. He was never off-pitch and there were no lyrical screw ups that I could spot. I guess the only real complaint I'd have is that he said next to nothing to the audience. Thought maybe he'd explain why they were playing in Hamilton but the tour-shirts said Toronto. Not a big deal in the end. At nearly 50, the man's still got it.

Venue: I think I agree with the review a few pages back who pointed out the thin crowd. They roped off the top level and the lower bowl was probably 70% full. The floor looked full. I'd say there was maybe 5000-6000 people there. Didn't affect my enjoyment of the show but I think if GNR wants to return to Southern Ontario again they're going to need a different show the next time. Most of the people around me could sing songs off Chinese Democracy, so I think new material is necessary to draw the next time. I think since 2002 Ontario has had more GNR concerts than any other region of the world (2002: Toronto, London; 2006: Toronto, Ottawa; 2010: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, London; 2011: Hamilton - 9 shows) and I'm pretty fortunate living where I live as a GNR fan. It's too bad more people don't come out to check out this band 'cause they put on a hell of a show. But there's no denying that the audience was sparse last night.

Overall, the songs that impressed me the most last night were Jungle (probably the best performance of this song I've ever seen), It's So Easy, Shackler's Revenge, Nightrain, Estranged, Don't Cry, Riff Raff, Madagascar (probably their best song of the night), and patience. The entire band played great and I give them a lot of credit for keeping this band going. Hopefully they have a successful conclusion to the tour and work on something new for everyone to see.

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S. I took some video of Estranged which I have to merge together (there's two clips that get 90% of the song). I'll post it when I get a chance.

Edited by downzy

Reading the journalists review and reading your reviews it sounds like you weren't even at the same concert!!

Love reading your experiences of going, being there etc. Like someone said, its a bummer living in Australia and last time they were here they didn't go to all the capital cities anyway :question:

Reading the journalists review and reading your reviews it sounds like you weren't even at the same concert!!

Love reading your experiences of going, being there etc. Like someone said, its a bummer living in Australia and last time they were here they didn't go to all the capital cities anyway :question:

amen , we need some more aus dates within the next 2 years. Nz, Melbourne and Brisbane are big makerts that gnr didn't do last year, so it would still be financial viable for them to make the trip and capitalize on them, (don't forget Sydney too :P ).

But there's certainly no forum members just helping hook people up with passes.

Gunsguy even scored us backstage passes.

Any mods wanna address this, for real?

Nothing really to address, just right place at the right time.

Yes, it was a very generous offer by Gunsguy. Great, fun, life of the party type of guy! Thanks again! I think its always great to meet fellow GNR worshippers as I really have absolutely none in my 'real' life! Montrealer and Eric were great too! Hope you guys got your ''manger'' on at MacDonalds lol! I didnt hang out with Powerage as much but cool guy! Was with us until 3am or so and had a four hour drive back to class! Hope you made it! Coma16 was alot of fun to go to the venue with as well! get me those pics! lol

I think all the above guys pretty much summed up the night! Nothing really for me to add but lets see!

Estranged really is worth all the hype it has been getting! just unreal live! Dont cry was also a highlight for me!

DJ actually is a really good showman. I think I was reading a thread on how it seems artificial. I totally disagree. It was genuine to me seeing him upclose and personal, he just is that type of guy smiling and playing around with the crowd.....constantly throwing guitar picks at them! I'm usually gawking at Axl but DJ was very active and fun to watch!

Bumble is in person just as he is in interviews etc. Extremely nice and humourous! Just an A+ guy!! Happy to have met him!

Beta was telling stories and was very sweet!

I couldn't have asked for a better night!!

Sidenote: the whistle being piped in at the beginning of "Patience" is fucking retarded, they should just have someone else in the band who can whistle do it live.

Same can be said for the many of the backing vocals in CD tracks. Dizzy, Tommy, Chris(?), Ron all can cover them easily

Here is me with Ron:

img0404v.jpg

Thanks to Coma16 for taking this picture :)

Awesome pic man! Im so happy u had a great time! Great memories never die!

How long until your beard is as long as Ron's?? :lol::shades:

Better question - how come you got Red eye and Ron didn't :tongue2: ? That's strange <_< .

Awesome pic man! Im so happy u had a great time! Great memories never die!

How long until your beard is as long as Ron's?? :lol::shades:

Better question - how come you got Red eye and Ron didn't :tongue2: ? That's strange <_< .

Not really 99.9% of any pics of me come out that way, I have blue eyes. Blue eyed people are known to come up with red eyes on cameras :thumbsup:

Guest Sweet Tooth

I have nothing to add to anyone's review, my night was just as great! Missed the encore, but oh well... one thing I have to say was that some fans are complete assholes and they stopped beer -

37636110150422359893397.jpg

fuck yeah, estranged baby!

I was really amazed at Ron's dedication to the fans, he's one of the nicest guys around. I couldn't believe how he covers the pain up on stage...and then you see him afterwards and you can barely believe he's the same guy. He's a true class act and I wish him nothing but the best! :thumbsup:

I completely agree, Bumble is one of the nicest and most down to earth guys I have ever met. How he archs his back onstage like a contortionist, with all that pain he's dealing with, I have no idea.