Hamilton, ON November 28th 2011 @ copps Coliseum

fallingred85

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought The Pretty Reckless was pretty cool. I like having Baz open because he brings a lot of energy, but it was nice seeing an unknown (to me) talented band instead. That chick can sing and the lead guitarist brings it too. So she dropped a few f-bombs and commented on drinking, okay, she's playing the part. And I'm betting she's got more substance than Avril Lavigne. Their cover of Seven Nation Army was sweet and got the crowd going a bit.

Anyways, I'm not going to write a big ass review like I would have a few years ago. The band always puts on a great show. Axl was on top of his game tonight, sounding good and moving around lots. I'm not sure he dropped all the extra weight but he looks pretty fit now regardless. The rest of the band are pros and did a great job.

One thing about Ron...the guy seriously looks like he's in pain. And I'm not talking about when he was leaning on the piano as he walked to the front of the stage. I think he was just kidding around there. I'm talking about throughout the night, especially early in the show, while playing guitar. His facial expressions to me indicated this. And the way he moves around...he moves around a fair bit, but it looks to me like he does it in a way to minimize the pain. I know if I hurt my back I still get around, but I'll walk in a way where I'm putting as little stress as possible on it. Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't mean to be a downer. It's something I thought I noticed and I'd be interested to hear what others who were there think.

But all in all it's what we'd all expect from a GN'R show in 2011, and whoever is in line to see them over the coming days and weeks should have a great fuckin' time.

Edited by KBear

Great fucking show.

Would have been home sooner, but I forgot what ramp my fucking car was parked in and had to spend an hour trying to find it. :tongue2:

Powerage5 - once again, nice meeting and talking with you. Good times.

did you meet up the other mods?

If the mods are at the show, then we can say whatever we want for a awhile.

Vagina.

Behave

No. Fuck you. Vaginavaginavagina.

Dude, that's a mod.

'Twas the joke, mate. Saying 'vagina' is hardly misbehaving.

Tis true. But saying fuck you is. I could get all passive aggressive and take it out on you because I had to miss the Hamilton show.

But I won't.

I don't like Taylor Momsen as a person. I think 16-year-olds flashing their nip tape is really weird, and "reality" TV sucks.

That being said, I'm about 3 songs into TPR's record on Spotify having seen the positive reviews on here the last couple days. I have to say.....fuck! She's got some pipes, and the band are mighty tight. Nothing terribly special, but definitely a record I'll be listening to a few more times. Good work, GNR, for doing exactly what you're supposed to with an opener: find an up-and-coming act that will appeal to your audience, let em get a taste of the big time, and hope your fans go on to support 'em.

EDIT: My bad there Orsys; was intended in humor and good fun, but I suppose cheekiness doesn't translate so well in interweb text.

Edited by axlslash

I don't like Taylor Momsen as a person. I think 16-year-olds flashing their nip tape is really weird, and "reality" TV sucks.

That being said, I'm about 3 songs into TPR's record on Spotify having seen the positive reviews on here the last couple days. I have to say.....fuck! She's got some pipes, and the band are mighty tight. Nothing terribly special, but definitely a record I'll be listening to a few more times. Good work, GNR, for doing exactly what you're supposed to with an opener: find an up-and-coming act that will appeal to your audience, let em get a taste of the big time, and hope your fans go on to support 'em.

EDIT: My bad there Orsys; was intended in humor and good fun, but I suppose cheekiness doesn't translate so well in interweb text.

Nope, was taken in good humour and fun.

Nope, was taken in good humour and fun.

rock3

Just got back from the show, and I have to say that this current band is the best GNR lineup since the Use Your Illusion tour. I've felt this was the case since Rio and seeing live clips over the past month or two (along with all the positive reviews in newspapers and here on the board). However, while I thought this was the case, I was still blown away seeing them live. They just work together amazingly well, such a cohesive unit and I'm a big fan of every member of the band right now.

In my opinion, Buckethead is probably the most talented guitar player they ever had. However, Bumble comes damn close and it's just clicking on all cylinders with Bumblefoot, Ashba and Fortus manning the guitars. I loved Brain's work in the past but Frank is doing a great job right now. Every band member is a real cool guy and fantastic musician, they play off each other really well and look like they're having a lot of fun. I suppose I agree with an earlier post that Bumble looks to be in some pain, although my thought during the show was that he just seemed pretty mellow for the most part. Probably on some kind of medication for his pain, didn't move around a whole lot but it didn't seem to affect his guitar playing in any way. Came away very impressed with DJ Ashba. You can tell he just loves being in this band and his energy was infectious, just running around like a kid in a candy store and his guitar work was excellent throughout.

Had floors and since it wasn't super-crowded, managed to get up reasonably close, maybe 20 feet from the stage. Pretty Reckless was better than I expected them to be. Fairly basic sound, and the singer kind of overdoes the stripper moves, but in addition to being pretty hot she is actually a very good singer and it seemed like the crowd was impressed overall.

Guns came on right at 10:45, played for 2:50. The setlist posted seems correct, no surprises. I loved the encore - Madagascar, Better, Patience and Paradise City flowed really well. Loved the acoustic intro to Patience. Heard a couple of guys chanting "Oh My God" several times near me, so they were probably forum members. The crowd seemed to be really into it all night long.

Estranged was a magical moment. Highlights were Estranged, It's So Easy, Rocket Queen, PC, also loved Bumble's Pink Panther solo spot. The crowd really enjoyed it. Shackler's and Better sounded pretty good, I've found them to be a pretty muddy sound mix in the past but they were really good tonight. I've seen a lot of arena shows (including GNR shows in 02, 06 and 2010), and tonight might have been the best "sound" I've heard in an arena show. Might have been the fact that it was a bit more intimate (upper deck was blocked off), maybe I was standing in a good spot, but the sound was quieter than expected for the first 3 or 4 songs and there was almost no echo, you could hear everything really clearly. Towards the middle of the show it seemed like they turned the volume up a bit, there was more echo and Axl got drowned out on occasion but overall the sound was excellent for a stadium show.

As for Axl, didn't say a whole lot, sang great all night long. Smiled a lot, seems to be in a very good place these days. Think I understand why he wanted to add Riff Raff to the set on this tour, as he just seemed really into this song and sang the hell out of it. But he was on top of his game all night long.

Bottom line, you've heard this before but if they are coming to your town, GO SEE THEM. Being on the floor that close to the stage was awesome, in a crowd of GNR fans singing along to every song and having the sound of this great band washing right over you for 3 solid hours is more than worth the price of admission.

"Oh... so his whistling is bothering you but the loud music isn't?

This sticks out to me as one of the most absurd things I have ever heard, she's actually admitting that she finds the music annoying and she assumes you feel the same way :crazy:

I would have lost it right there, I would have screamed back at her "We are all here because we WANT to listen to the music, we are NOT here to listen to his wolf whistling!!"

Thank God I've never been stuck sitting next to someone so ignorant as her :wacko: