Kinda seems like they're building towards something..

tippin

I think the NY Times article a few years ago said that Axl was a man of great ideas but confused

follow-through. So he might want to build towards something but whether he will is another story.

it was a piece by somebody discussing the way CEOs and visionaries think and they had Axl and Chinese Democracy as an example...and they said that Axl would be one of those CEOs who over-thinks it and spends too much time on being strategic, so eventually the strategy just overwhelms them...at least that's what I can remember...whether it was in the NYT or not...that I cannot say for sure

Gonna be honest, I feel like precisely nothing is brewing. So the tour is going well so far. That's great. GNR are showing up with sufficient time to play the whole set they want. That's even better. Axl doing his fucking job is a pleasant surprise, but not grounds to assume something big is coming. A successful tour is a nice change of pace, with TMS (aka an interview that few people outside of us will watch) as a nice addition, but really? "They haven't fucked up yet!" feels like we're building to something? A tour with the same setlist, return to the Mickey Mouse voices, and more time with Axl off-stage in the course of the show than ever before feels like we're building to something? Nothing's been canceled and no shows have been cut short or Rio-style moping, but this hardly feels like it's building to anything. It's a US tour for Chinese Democracy just like 2006 and 2002, only difference being that the record is out. We're still in the CD stages.

I think the NY Times article a few years ago said that Axl was a man of great ideas but confused

follow-through. So he might want to build towards something but whether he will is another story.

it was a piece by somebody discussing the way CEOs and visionaries think and they had Axl and Chinese Democracy as an example...and they said that Axl would be one of those CEOs who over-thinks it and spends too much time on being strategic, so eventually the strategy just overwhelms them...at least that's what I can remember...whether it was in the NYT or not...that I cannot say for sure

Artists usually don't make for good businessmen any more than businessmen make for good artists. He would be on a board, but not a CEO. Usually guys who are semi-talented in music are the ones who get into the business side of it. The really talented ones have no tolerance for it, or they get too obsessed with it... but if you're going to be litigious, might as well become a lawyer and do it yourself. Some guys who didn't go off the deep end and saved their money, they wound up getting out of bands and the money they saved went towards starting a business or going back to school, or became music teachers.

Paul Allen of Microsoft will spend money to throw a concert in his backyard, loves music, but as far as I know, doesn't play a note. Woz threw US Fest. They're the ones who join R&R Fantasy Camp and pay to be a rock star for a night. That's partly why the recording industry wouldn't be something Jim Cramer would tell you to invest in, then or now. Without a doubt, GNR's been on a few billionaire ipods.

Maybe he got overwhelmed, but to not make any appearances after the release, whether it be a Best Buy in-store, a concert to be sponsored by You Tube the day it was released, and at least a brief interview for the cameras, didn't help. I'm sure the next release will be handled differently. Going on TMS will prob. help, and when it's time to put the next one out, maybe he will be out there on late night talk shows either to perform or be interviewed. Kimmel's got the rooftop overlooking Hollywood Blvd so that would be my choice. Also would be cool if they played Amoeba on Record Store Day and signed copies of ChiDem after a short set, pretty much the same show they'd do at the clubs.

Gonna be honest, I feel like precisely nothing is brewing. So the tour is going well so far. That's great. GNR are showing up with sufficient time to play the whole set they want. That's even better. Axl doing his fucking job is a pleasant surprise, but not grounds to assume something big is coming. A successful tour is a nice change of pace, with TMS (aka an interview that few people outside of us will watch) as a nice addition, but really? "They haven't fucked up yet!" feels like we're building to something? A tour with the same setlist, return to the Mickey Mouse voices, and more time with Axl off-stage in the course of the show than ever before feels like we're building to something? Nothing's been canceled and no shows have been cut short or Rio-style moping, but this hardly feels like it's building to anything. It's a US tour for Chinese Democracy just like 2006 and 2002, only difference being that the record is out. We're still in the CD stages.

I think anything regarding the future is going to be discussed on That Metal Show, and it's just going to be what Ashba's already said. They've sent songs back and forth, and after this tour, plan on going back in the studio (after a break.. but who knows how long that break will be). The band needs to be on their a-game to do the shows and would have to fit in working on new songs. It doesn't seem like they're working on new songs in rehearsal, because the setlist could change and might have to work out a song or two that hasn't been done in a while. There hasn't been a lot of rehearsal time going into this leg of the tour, but they're pros, they worked out the tricky parts they may have forgotten at home, then got together to make sure it was still good. They all know Axl could just go "Coma. Tonight." or shout out "Coma. Now." We all know Estranged happened because people were bugging Bumble to do it, Axl didn't seem like he cared either way about having it in the setlist, but now it is, and it's a highlight. It's a long ass song that's in the place of two other songs. Then other songs will be pulled and replaced over time.

If they start putting out the songs in the vault, they'll do less AFD era songs. This isn't a bad thing, either. They might even pull SCOM or WTTJ off the setlist. Paradise City should stay because it's just a great way to close the show with something celebratory.

I think anything regarding the future is going to be discussed on That Metal Show, and it's just going to be what Ashba's already said. They've sent songs back and forth, and after this tour, plan on going back in the studio (after a break.. but who knows how long that break will be). The band needs to be on their a-game to do the shows and would have to fit in working on new songs. It doesn't seem like they're working on new songs in rehearsal, because the setlist could change and might have to work out a song or two that hasn't been done in a while. There hasn't been a lot of rehearsal time going into this leg of the tour, but they're pros, they worked out the tricky parts they may have forgotten at home, then got together to make sure it was still good. They all know Axl could just go "Coma. Tonight." or shout out "Coma. Now." We all know Estranged happened because people were bugging Bumble to do it, Axl didn't seem like he cared either way about having it in the setlist, but now it is, and it's a highlight. It's a long ass song that's in the place of two other songs. Then other songs will be pulled and replaced over time.

If they start putting out the songs in the vault, they'll do less AFD era songs. This isn't a bad thing, either. They might even pull SCOM or WTTJ off the setlist. Paradise City should stay because it's just a great way to close the show with something celebratory.

Pull WTTJ or SCOM from the setlist? No way, not a chance.

You REALLY think they will take SCOM or WTTJ off the setlist. I don't even think that's a possibility.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

(Longer setlists, youtube videos, etc)

I think the initiatives (That Metal Show included) are to bolster the fortunes of the tour. The focus remains Chinese Democracy, as pointed out by Mr. Reed in a recent Q&A.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

(Longer setlists, youtube videos, etc)

I think the initiatives (That Metal Show included) are to bolster the fortunes of the tour. The focus remains Chinese Democracy, as pointed out by Mr. Reed in a recent Q&A.

Didn't Axl say that back in 2008? I believe the focus has shifted, as per DJ Ashba :thumbsup:

Pull WTTJ or SCOM from the setlist? No way, not a chance.

Indeed. If they pull ANY Appetite songs from the set list that have been staples in recent years, it'd more than likely be Mr. Brownstone and/or It's So Easy. I'd say Nightrain too, although the current band seems to really get off on playing it so I could see that staying. Rocket Queen is another one that could just be added into the rotation instead of being a staple, as much as I love seeing that one live. Axl could release ten new albums tomorrow but the casual fan who goes to the concert at least needs Jungle, Child and Paradise City from AFD.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Didn't Axl say that back in 2008? I believe the focus has shifted, as per DJ Ashba :thumbsup:

Yes, and Reed suggested this remains the position. Dj’s worked on concepts for GN’R; but this practice is characteristic of GN’R in general (everybody writes unofficially).

There’s definitely the desire to produce another GN’R album; but all these initiatives (live videos, picture uploads, show updates, That Metal Show etc.) are designed to enhance the sales of the tour.

To answer the OP it seemed like GNR was building towards something in 2002 when the then-new songs were being unveiled but it took them 6 years to actually release the record. I am exited about this current tour and the setlists have been great but I will only get exited about anything more when I absolutely know its coming