Would you like a big name producer to produce CDII?

Cosmo

Since many say Chinese Democracy was overproduced, and some even claim the demos were superior to the final version of some songs such as Catcher In The Rye and There Was A Time, what would you guys think about a famous producer such as Rick Rubin, Brendan O'Brien, Brian Eno, Bob Ezrin, etc... producing the next album? Would you like it? Which producer and why?

Since many say Chinese Democracy was overproduced, and some even claim the demos were superior to the final version of some songs such as Catcher In The Rye and There Was A Time, what would you guys think about a famous producer such as Rick Rubin, Brendan O'Brien, Brian Eno, Bob Ezrin, etc... producing the next album? Would you like it? Which producer and why?

I would not like Rick Rubin within 6,000 miles of producing the next record or any Guns record for that matter. This is a guy who has helped obliterate good sounding production with the loudness war. I wouldn't mind if he was hired as strictly a producer to give ideas but his engineering and/or mixing and mastering methods and crew should not be used at all.

As far as we know, the bulk of the new album has been already recorded (hence produced by Axl n' Caram with a long list of weird credits like "Initial production by..." etc etc), maybe needing just some final touches and overdubs. So, to me, more than a producer, the new record needs an expert guy to MIX it. Andy Wallace tried with CD but it didn't work out. Maybe Caram Costanzo again?

Edited by Twinaleblood

Hell no I dont want any particular producers. Producers have been more powerful than the bands themselves for too long, which is why in a way I'm happy Axl is a bit of a 'do-it-yourselfer.' Plus I'm sick of everyone running to Rick Rubin when they need their career rehabilitated, when they need to sound more 'contemporary.' It says a lot when a band works with one producer, sounds great, then changes producers and cant do shit. See Metallica. Basically Bob Rock might as well have been part of Metallica for all those years.

On the other hand, I think other producers can be good at bringing out the best qualities and making them efficient with their time. In this regard I think Mike Clink was good for Gnr - maybe they should reunite in order to keep things on a schedule, and instill focus/structure to the band and the songs. Clink and also Terry Date are great for rock bands. Of course, it's questionable if Axl even wants to make 'rock' albums...

Edited by Eu4ic

I don't want to see anyone with a big ego that's gonna butt heads with Axl and have his own agenda. Axl really needs someone who facilitates him and let's him do his thing. He does need someone who can help him focus, cause generally the way he produces he just does whatever comes to his head at that particular time, so he starts shitloads of songs but takes forever to come back and finish each one. Someone who can get him to focus on something in particular but not antagonize him and make him seem like he's taking orders and being forced to do anything.

By all accounts their attempt to work with a big name producer (Roy Thomas Baker) largely resulted in a lot of wasted time and money. Most "big name" producers out there are simply resting on their laurels and have an ego as big as the artists. If they were to reach outside the current camp, would much prefer they seek out an up and coming producer who actually has some fresh ideas. The thought of Rick Rubin or Brendan O'Brien working on a GNR album is borderline sickening.