Is anyone else worried?

jonah

Some of u are missing the point.

The OP loves the band.

And all of us would prefer to see GnR at a small club, than at a stadium with 25000 people.

The point is that to sustain themselves as a band, they have to be able to make a profit touring. To put out new albums, to pay the band members enough so they don't quit, this band has to generate enough popularity and money to make it worthwhile for everybody involved.

Look at David Lee Roth.

In top of the world in van halen.

This popularity helped him get the financial background to release a couple successful albums with Vai and Sheehan.

Then what happened?

I saw DLR without Vai, without a hit record....in a club that probably held 500 people. I met and shook hands with Dave and the band before the show, as I was eating dinner in the cafe area of the club. Dave and the boys pulled up in a limo, cases of beer in hand, and walked through the cafe to go backstage. No security.

From being treated like a King to getting dropped off at the front door and having to carry your own beer. From having your pick of hot babes to chatting with guys while they eat pasta. From selling out 30,000 seat arenas to playing in front of 400 people.

Point?????

Five years before he attracted a super group of talent, toured arenas, label poured millions into his band and albums.

Five years later.....a David lee Roth solo album doesn't even get made. Labels have no interest. Reputable musicians don't want to play with him.

That is the danger if Axl just decides to do club shows.

While we might love to attend that show.....it basically means the death of the band and future material being released.

Course now I will be labeled a hater, but oh well.

I love the band, would love to see them at a club, and I don't care how popular they become or if they ever rule the rock world again. I just want them to stay relevant and popular enough to sustain label interest, and for the band to be able to release new music and continue touring.

Edited by Groghan

I'm worried that this "Up close and Personal" tour isn't a one time thing. I think the next time GNR decide to do North America it will all be club shows except for in the major markets. They will still do arenas/festivals in the rest of the world. If you look at the 2011 U.S. tour they averaged around 5k people a show with a huge production. If you book clubs that hold 3500 people and inflate the ticket prices a little then cut the production budget to a fraction of an arena show then it's more profitable for them to do those shows. I'm thinking that the band may want to do an arena tour but the Promoters aren't, the 2011 Arena shows weren't packed and with a huge budget some of the shows would of barely gotten a profit and some probably lost money. So I see the next U.S. tour as either a club tour or no tour with the possibility of a few scattered dates here and there in the bigger markets. I will add that a new album that they actually tour on when it's released would definetly be an arena tour. Both the 2011 shows that I attended had around but I'd say less then 5k people in them so I am speaking from experience when I talk about the numbers obviously some of the shows had more and some probably had less.

Before you degrade me for being a non believer, since I know how this board is. I'll give you some of my credentials, I've seen Axl 7 times since 2002, drove 36 hours in a snowstorm to see Axl in 02, I saw him twice in 06 both driveing over 300 miles each way to get to each show and then standing in line for 8 hours to get front row on a cold windy day. saw him twice in 2010, only drove an hour for both shows. Then twice in 2011, Drove an hour for one show then 8 hours for the 2nd one. So I'm a believer in GNR.

without joint shows average atendance is more than 8000 people...Good review and other shit with new album bring arenas again in fuckin Us...In Sofia GNR sold 25000 tickets 34 months before the show,bur knye west sold only 6000

if i live in USA I would like this tour show, but i´m Brazilian and live in Rio de janeiro at same time I waiting for see Axl so close I very worried because if GUNS back in here with “ close and personal” the prices will be very very very expensive. I guess something over R$ 800,00

Yes, that's the point, here in Brazil we have very expensives tickets =/ I live in Sao Paulo and know that. But i'm not worried about that, if they want to do it in smaller venues there's no problem. They still sell out big arenas and stadiums over the world (Europe, South America, Australia). And i think they can do that in USA also, just need new music and promotion, that's the word. And they can sell out big arenas in USA easily (;

+1

The OP loves the band.

And all of us would prefer to see GnR at a small club, than at a stadium with 25000 people.

The point is that to sustain themselves as a band, they have to be able to make a profit touring. To put out new albums, to pay the band members enough so they don't quit, this band has to generate enough popularity and money to make it worthwhile for everybody involved.

Look at David Lee Roth.

This popularity helped him get the financial background to release a couple successful albums with Vai and Sheehan.

Then what happened?

I saw DLR without Vai, without a hit record....in a club that probably held 500 people. I met and shook hands with Dave and the band before the show, as I was eating dinner in the cafe area of the club. Dave and the boys pulled up in a limo, cases of beer in hand, and walked through the cafe to go backstage. No security.

From being treated like a King to getting dropped off at the front door and having to carry your own beer. From having your pick of hot babes to chatting with guys while they eat pasta. From selling out 30,000 seat arenas to playing in front of 400 people.

Point?????

Five years before he attracted a super group of talent, toured arenas, label poured millions into his band and albums.

Five years later.....a David lee Roth solo album doesn't even get made. Labels have no interest. Reputable musicians don't want to play with him.

While we might love to attend that show.....it basically means the death of the band and future material being released.

I for one would like the band to be successful too... But as I said, barring a new album, I'd only be interested in seeing them in a club. I think a new album would be a good thing for them, financially speaking. Done properly, they could probably even pull off a successful US arena tour.

So, I don't think I really missed any point... Point being, if they wanna be profitable/relevant, they oughtta release music once in a while.

if i live in USA I would like this tour show, but i´m Brazilian and live in Rio de janeiro at same time I waiting for see Axl so close I very worried because if GUNS back in here with “ close and personal” the prices will be very very very expensive. I guess something over R$ 800,00

Yes, that's the point, here in Brazil we have very expensives tickets =/ I live in Sao Paulo and know that. But i'm not worried about that, if they want to do it in smaller venues there's no problem. They still sell out big arenas and stadiums over the world (Europe, South America, Australia). And i think they can do that in USA also, just need new music and promotion, that's the word. And they can sell out big arenas in USA easily (;

I wish see GUNS in small place. It´s a dream but for turn true I been saved money!

I don’t like much festivals you have to go too early wait long time and see others bands and in the end stay so tired

If i had to pay expensive even i hope for a small place not like Roger Waters concert at stadim with tickets sales a R$600,00 (U$450,00) in the vip area.

I wish see GUNS in small place. It´s a dream but for turn true I been saved money!

I don’t like much festivals you have to go too early wait long time and see others bands and in the end stay so tired

If i had to pay expensive even i hope for a small place not like Roger Waters concert at stadim with tickets sales a R$600,00 (U$450,00) in the vip area.

Also my dream, but it's kind of impossible, also the problem with venues, GN'R will do were ? Via Funchal at Sao Paulo and Vivo Rio at Rio ? Not sound good =/ And about the Roger Waters tickets, yes they are so much expensive ! :shocked::fuckyou: fuck the T4F

I was at the Allstate Arena and the House of Blues. I considered the Allstate concert the greatest one I'd ever been to in my life, but then along came the Up Close and Personal Tour. I loved it. And I'd gladly pay again to see a club show. Being that close, there's just no comparison. I don't much care for arena shows.

The thing I'd be worried about is acquiring tickets. I almost didn't land any to the HoB. I lucked out and happened to check the website right as they released some.

Edit: An easy way to increase ticket sales, by the way, is to actually get out there and promote. Release an album. Imagine Axl at Lollapalooza. Dear GOD that would be sick. But it will never happen 'cause Lolla has such strict times that bands play.

Edited by GnR Chris

I'm worried that this "Up close and Personal" tour isn't a one time thing. I think the next time GNR decide to do North America it will all be club shows except for in the major markets. They will still do arenas/festivals in the rest of the world. If you look at the 2011 U.S. tour they averaged around 5k people a show with a huge production. If you book clubs that hold 3500 people and inflate the ticket prices a little then cut the production budget to a fraction of an arena show then it's more profitable for them to do those shows. I'm thinking that the band may want to do an arena tour but the Promoters aren't, the 2011 Arena shows weren't packed and with a huge budget some of the shows would of barely gotten a profit and some probably lost money. So I see the next U.S. tour as either a club tour or no tour with the possibility of a few scattered dates here and there in the bigger markets. I will add that a new album that they actually tour on when it's released would definetly be an arena tour. Both the 2011 shows that I attended had around but I'd say less then 5k people in them so I am speaking from experience when I talk about the numbers obviously some of the shows had more and some probably had less.

Before you degrade me for being a non believer, since I know how this board is. I'll give you some of my credentials, I've seen Axl 7 times since 2002, drove 36 hours in a snowstorm to see Axl in 02, I saw him twice in 06 both driveing over 300 miles each way to get to each show and then standing in line for 8 hours to get front row on a cold windy day. saw him twice in 2010, only drove an hour for both shows. Then twice in 2011, Drove an hour for one show then 8 hours for the 2nd one. So I'm a believer in GNR.

Don't worry about GnR's audience turnout. If you've gone to see them 7 times and came away with a great experience, that matters more.

It's a given that Axl has a band that costs more than recruiting a bunch of Berklee/MI kids and a crew to pay on top of maintaining his lifestyle, but it's a different era in touring than 20 years ago for a lot of bands.

I think the prices are reasonable in the arenas and clubs.

I wish I had to be worried... I'm from Mexico and they sold out two days this past october, meaning 40,000 people. I wish I had to battle about 3000 people to be close to them and not 19,999. :rolleyes:

So no, I'm not worried at all and I don't think they are either, since that's a "problem" they apparently have only in the USA.

This thread reminds me of the mentality that dominated pre-2008 and the release of Chinese Democracy. For many GNR fans, and fandom in general, there exists a need for what they adore to be adored by everyone else. As if mainstream popularity grants legitimacy to what they hold dear. It seems as though following Chinese Democracy the bubble popped, especially when the album stumbled out of the gate with first week sales below that of Kanye and Taylor Swift. For most people, it became painfully real that GNR, with the lineup that Axl had put together over the past 10 years and the material they had just released, would not recoup their title as the biggest band of the world that they left behind fifteen years prior.

There's nothing wrong with wanting what you like to be loved by everyone else. But to worry about it and feel concern for a band that hasn't done a whole lot to garner such popularity is unnecessary and undeserved. I'll always be a fan of Axl, GNR and the work that has been produced through this band, but the success or failure of GNR really has little bearing on my own life.

And like many have pointed out so far, there's a lot of upsides to GNR not being the biggest band in the world. Most fans would much prefer seeing their favourite band in a smaller venue than battling it out with tens of thousands in a subdued and impersonal arena. Fandom is about participation, and it's much easier to feel involved when you don't feel like one in a million. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

This post is so retarded I think it might be a parody.

Fewer fans coming to shows means fewer shows

Fewer people being interested in an album means fewer albums.

Lets be clear about this. We all know YOU love Guns N Roses, or else the fact that you are here would be a clear sign of mental illness. But unless other people show an interest then you will not be seeing or hearing too much in the near or not too near future.

The problem with trying to assess their popularity now is the complete lack of promotion

that went in to CD; + the fact that it was only released in one chain of stores.

If they have a catchy rock song + video + normal promotion for any other band I don't see

why they couldn't become more popular. They'll never be as popular as the early 90s, but they could attract more

of an audience than they do now; all they have

to do is just do what any other band does. Of course since this is GNR world, it'll never happen :/

Edited by axl666

I wish I had to be worried... I'm from Mexico and they sold out two days this past october, meaning 40,000 people. I wish I had to battle about 3000 people to be close to them and not 19,999. :rolleyes:

So no, I'm not worried at all and I don't think they are either, since that's a "problem" they apparently have only in the USA.

Me too wish that worried.

At Paraguay were 70.000, Axl arrived by helicopter seemed teenager star like a Justin Bieber nowadays in USA, even I wish this “up and close” I guess is hard to happen in south American for next years.

No offense but this goes to show you latin types need to aim higher. I cant think of any band other than Sepultura I have got excited about from the central americas. Actually, im going over to Anything Goes. Why is it that the UK and America dominate music.

Sometimes i think Axl doesn't want your popularity grow up again, his audience is enough for keep stay GNR on the road for that reason dont make video clipes, new cd

Axl doesnt need catch his personal fortune for nothing and generates employment.

So i guess that tour is a preparation for HOF too.

The OP loves the band.

Look at David Lee Roth.

Then what happened?

Point?????

Course now I will be labeled a hater, but oh well.

I love the band, would love to see them at a club, and I don't care how popular they become or if they ever rule the rock world again. I just want them to stay relevant and popular enough to sustain label interest, and for the band to be able to release new music and continue touring.

This was more the point of the thread then my personal worries. I'd rather see GNR in front of 500 people. The point was more that if Axl wants to tour the U.S. again and the promoters say they will only do club shows at this much money Axl is probably going to tell them to go fuck themselves.

If they released a new album, more people will be interested in seeing them. This is the 3rd tour in support of CD, most average fans (aka, not the BIG fans like the people on the forum) dont want to go to keep going to a concert to see the exact same setlist.

At Paraguay were 70.000, Axl arrived by helicopter seemed teenager star like a Justin Bieber nowadays in USA, even I wish this “up and close” I guess is hard to happen in south American for next years.

No offense but this goes to show you latin types need to aim higher. I cant think of any band other than Sepultura I have got excited about from the central americas. Actually, im going over to Anything Goes. Why is it that the UK and America dominate music.

I understood and agree you but unfortunately i live a country it dont have much rock n roll culture!

we like but we don't export. US is very hard anybody of out make success

several countries on Europe knows latin american musicians but not Sepultura group they knows about another styles musicians at moment Michel Telo

Other day i read about japanese boys band making big sucess on Western countries.

What a funny, but why not? I think latin american born and grow up listen and watch english culture, we watch a lot of american channel on tv cable but unlike almost should not exist.

ps: sorry for my english mistake, i learning!

GnR easily gathers more than 40,000 people in the UK, are you saying they too need to aim higher? One of the big reasons America dominates music is cause of your language and the power that country used to have. Besides, no offense, but the standard of music as of right now in the USA is nothing to be proud of...

GnR easily gathers more than 40,000 people in the UK, are you saying they too need to aim higher? One of the big reasons America dominates music is cause of your language and the power that country used to have. Besides, no offense, but the standard of music as of right now in the USA is nothing to be proud of...

In the 80's /90'S US had many excellent artist and band, when was a teenager i watched all MTV awards. Nowadays i cant see and hear these happers or Britney, Miles, Selena,Beyonce, Katy Parry, Lady Gaga ....so terible just the past can save us.

This thread reminds me of the mentality that dominated pre-2008 and the release of Chinese Democracy. For many GNR fans, and fandom in general, there exists a need for what they adore to be adored by everyone else. As if mainstream popularity grants legitimacy to what they hold dear. It seems as though following Chinese Democracy the bubble popped, especially when the album stumbled out of the gate with first week sales below that of Kanye and Taylor Swift. For most people, it became painfully real that GNR, with the lineup that Axl had put together over the past 10 years and the material they had just released, would not recoup their title as the biggest band of the world that they left behind fifteen years prior.

There's nothing wrong with wanting what you like to be loved by everyone else. But to worry about it and feel concern for a band that hasn't done a whole lot to garner such popularity is unnecessary and undeserved. I'll always be a fan of Axl, GNR and the work that has been produced through this band, but the success or failure of GNR really has little bearing on my own life.

And like many have pointed out so far, there's a lot of upsides to GNR not being the biggest band in the world. Most fans would much prefer seeing their favourite band in a smaller venue than battling it out with tens of thousands in a subdued and impersonal arena. Fandom is about participation, and it's much easier to feel involved when you don't feel like one in a million. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

This post is so retarded I think it might be a parody.

Fewer fans coming to shows means fewer shows

Fewer people being interested in an album means fewer albums.

Lets be clear about this. We all know YOU love Guns N Roses, or else the fact that you are here would be a clear sign of mental illness. But unless other people show an interest then you will not be seeing or hearing too much in the near or not too near future.

The original poster was concerned about GNR moving from arenas to clubs and whether that really means anything to whether the band is both viable financially and artistically. I was more or less addressing the artistic aspect and why GNR not being loved by millions isn't such a big deal.

Fuck dude, if you think GNR isn't still making a nice sum of money from these club shows then you're retarded. Do you understand economics at all? Do you realize the costs involved in renting out an arena that holds 10-15k versus a club that seats 1500-3500? No where in my post did I say that I want GNR to flame out and see them in a 100 capacity club. If the point of this topic was that GNR was moving to even further irrelevance and will thus prompt Axl to stop touring because he can't make it financially viable is to ignore some f'n large realities. Between royalty rights, stadium/arena shows in strong markets like South American/Asia/Europe, and the fortune that GNR could bring in if they ever reformed under the original lineup, I really don't think Axl has to worry about his bank account. GNR has been a harder sell in North America for a very long time. The fact that the band now books shows on this reality isn't a sign that there isn't money to be made in North America.

Fewer fans doesn't mean less shows, it just means the format of the shows have to change. Your assumption is that artists are only motivated because of money. An artist doesn't stop producing and touring because he or she believes they're not wanted anymore. They do it because that's who they are and hopefully there is an audience. There will always be an audience for GNR, they are a legendary and iconic band. Worrying that they've downsized into clubs doesn't mean they won't be any less productive or tour less. In fact, you could argue the opposite as they've been much more visible and play far more shows well after Chinese Democracy came out. With the upcoming tour of Europe, I think any argument that says that GNR has to worry about playing to empty venues is ridiculous.