Is anyone else worried?

jonah

I'm worried that this "Up close and Personal" tour isn't a one time thing. I think the next time GNR decide to do North America it will all be club shows except for in the major markets. They will still do arenas/festivals in the rest of the world. If you look at the 2011 U.S. tour they averaged around 5k people a show with a huge production. If you book clubs that hold 3500 people and inflate the ticket prices a little then cut the production budget to a fraction of an arena show then it's more profitable for them to do those shows. I'm thinking that the band may want to do an arena tour but the Promoters aren't, the 2011 Arena shows weren't packed and with a huge budget some of the shows would of barely gotten a profit and some probably lost money. So I see the next U.S. tour as either a club tour or no tour with the possibility of a few scattered dates here and there in the bigger markets. I will add that a new album that they actually tour on when it's released would definetly be an arena tour. Both the 2011 shows that I attended had around but I'd say less then 5k people in them so I am speaking from experience when I talk about the numbers obviously some of the shows had more and some probably had less.

Before you degrade me for being a non believer, since I know how this board is. I'll give you some of my credentials, I've seen Axl 7 times since 2002, drove 36 hours in a snowstorm to see Axl in 02, I saw him twice in 06 both driveing over 300 miles each way to get to each show and then standing in line for 8 hours to get front row on a cold windy day. saw him twice in 2010, only drove an hour for both shows. Then twice in 2011, Drove an hour for one show then 8 hours for the 2nd one. So I'm a believer in GNR.

I'm worried that this "Up close and Personal" tour isn't a one time thing. I think the next time GNR decide to do North America it will all be club shows except for in the major markets. They will still do arenas/festivals in the rest of the world. If you look at the 2011 U.S. tour they averaged around 5k people a show with a huge production. If you book clubs that hold 3500 people and inflate the ticket prices a little then cut the production budget to a fraction of an arena show then it's more profitable for them to do those shows. I'm thinking that the band may want to do an arena tour but the Promoters aren't, the 2011 Arena shows weren't packed and with a huge budget some of the shows would of barely gotten a profit and some probably lost money. So I see the next U.S. tour as either a club tour or no tour with the possibility of a few scattered dates here and there in the bigger markets. I will add that a new album that they actually tour on when it's released would definetly be an arena tour. Both the 2011 shows that I attended had around but I'd say less then 5k people in them so I am speaking from experience when I talk about the numbers obviously some of the shows had more and some probably had less.

Before you degrade me for being a non believer, since I know how this board is. I'll give you some of my credentials, I've seen Axl 7 times since 2002, drove 36 hours in a snowstorm to see Axl in 02, I saw him twice in 06 both driveing over 300 miles each way to get to each show and then standing in line for 8 hours to get front row on a cold windy day. saw him twice in 2010, only drove an hour for both shows. Then twice in 2011, Drove an hour for one show then 8 hours for the 2nd one. So I'm a believer in GNR.

That will without a doubt be the case If they decide to tour the U.S. again.

You're concerned that the next time GN'R tour you might see them in an intimate venue from a few feet away?

I've never cared that everyone see's GN'R as the biggest band in the world, just that they are the biggest band in my world.

"Worried"? No. I'd much rather a small club/theatre tour. Axl is not gonna fill major arenas (a few exceptions...MSG, Chicago, LA) without the original band.

Even if Guns doesn't fill arena's anymore, I don't care... I know my love lasts forever, I'm not hooked to one line up.

Worried?

It was fuckin' awesome seeing GN'R up close in a intimate setting instead of a huge arena where I could end up 100 or so feet away from the band.

I think these UCAP shows are the kind of shows GN'R should do if they tour the US again.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I actually hope they continue with the UCAP style shows. I was at the AC show and it was absolutely incredible and it blew the Wilkes-Barre show I saw out of the water, if that is even possible. The entire band and especially Axl seemed to enjoy themselves way more in this UCAP atmosphere. There is nothing like being that close to your favorite band. (Hello there bead of sweat that magically landed on my cheek :rolleyes: ) I think it takes the pressure off the band and promoters to fill the arenas.

I completely agree with a previous poster who said they don't care if Guns is the biggest band in the world anymore, they will always be the biggest in my world.

I've said for a long time that it'd be awesome for them to do a theater tour in the US/Canada. Maybe throw in an arena or two in the bigger markets where they'll sell out but other than that, I don't really care where they play. I'd much rather see them with 3500 other people in an intimate setting where I'm only 10 feet away than in an arena.

You're concerned that the next time GN'R tour you might see them in an intimate venue from a few feet away?

I've never cared that everyone see's GN'R as the biggest band in the world, just that they are the biggest band in my world.

Well said.

I have more important things to worry about anyway.

Ali

This thread reminds me of the mentality that dominated pre-2008 and the release of Chinese Democracy. For many GNR fans, and fandom in general, there exists a need for what they adore to be adored by everyone else. As if mainstream popularity grants legitimacy to what they hold dear. It seems as though following Chinese Democracy the bubble popped, especially when the album stumbled out of the gate with first week sales below that of Kanye and Taylor Swift. For most people, it became painfully real that GNR, with the lineup that Axl had put together over the past 10 years and the material they had just released, would not recoup their title as the biggest band of the world that they left behind fifteen years prior.

There's nothing wrong with wanting what you like to be loved by everyone else. But to worry about it and feel concern for a band that hasn't done a whole lot to garner such popularity is unnecessary and undeserved. I'll always be a fan of Axl, GNR and the work that has been produced through this band, but the success or failure of GNR really has little bearing on my own life.

And like many have pointed out so far, there's a lot of upsides to GNR not being the biggest band in the world. Most fans would much prefer seeing their favourite band in a smaller venue than battling it out with tens of thousands in a subdued and impersonal arena. Fandom is about participation, and it's much easier to feel involved when you don't feel like one in a million. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Worried No... I believe the recent arena tour did better than 5K a show. Orlando had double that and even Greenville, SC had around 5K and had sold 3,500 tix prior to show day and then sold tix for 20 day of show. Keep in mind if you take Greenville, SC as the low-end attendence-wise if the average person spent 50 a ticket of the original full price paid people that is 175K not including merch or concessions. I would say for the Greenville show there was at least 400K in revenue that day for the band and promoter. maybe no one broke the bank but they still made decent money.

the UCAP show in Orlando had lets say 2K... so that is 200K in tix revenue plus or minus VIP tix and what not. I did notice there were only 2 semi-trucks i the parking lot so yes in the end the UCAP tour is probably more profitable per show but that doesn't mean they are making more money per show.

if i live in USA I would like this tour show, but i´m Brazilian and live in Rio de janeiro at same time I waiting for see Axl so close I very worried because if GUNS back in here with “ close and personal” the prices will be very very very expensive. I guess something over R$ 800,00

I think they could fill arenas with a new single and proper promotion from the radio stations, tour promoters, etc. This band needs a face that is not just Axl as well. The other guys need to be promoted and recognized.

yeah people need to see them as a band..not just as replacements ! :)

if i live in USA I would like this tour show, but i´m Brazilian and live in Rio de janeiro at same time I waiting for see Axl so close I very worried because if GUNS back in here with “ close and personal” the prices will be very very very expensive. I guess something over R$ 800,00

Yes, that's the point, here in Brazil we have very expensives tickets =/ I live in Sao Paulo and know that. But i'm not worried about that, if they want to do it in smaller venues there's no problem. They still sell out big arenas and stadiums over the world (Europe, South America, Australia). And i think they can do that in USA also, just need new music and promotion, that's the word. And they can sell out big arenas in USA easily (;

Edited by FabioRoses