Why do you think Axl is so apprehensive to release new music?

ITW 2012

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he's done experimenting and wants to go back to the original GN'R sound mixed with some of the CD sound.

Which would mean not releasing the CD era material and recording a new album from scratch with the current band.

Or he could be re-recording the older material with the current band, who knows what's going on in Axl World

I hope not, I really liked the experimentation :)

On the other hand, CD + AFD = experimenting.

I think he's done dabbling in the Industrial sound and Electronica sound and maybe he's experimenting on going back to an Illusions type sound.

But who knows what Axl is doing, maybe he's reading everything we're writing right now and laughing at us saying "those silly motherfuckers have no idea what I'm going to do next and I'll keep touring just to screw with 'em".

in someways the band is Axl, Pitman, Stinson, just from the sound of CD it's not a really guitar heavy album. On CD Brain was important it sounds. Theres great solos and some riffs but overall.. I get the feeling the guitarists weren't the heart of the band. do u think I'm way off? i don't know much about music. I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Edited by wasted

in someways the band is Axl, Pitman, Stinson, just from the sound of CD it's not a really guitar heavy album. On CD Brain was important it sounds. Theres great solos and some riffs but overall.. I get the feeling the guitarists weren't the heart of the band. do u think I'm way off? i don't know much about music. I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Pitman and Axl seem to be the directors.

Well, I'm no expert either but if there's one person I can't hear ANY influence that's Tommy. I'm speaking about the record, not live shows. What I love about CD is exactly the guitar work. I loved so much Brian May solo on Catcher. Ron destroyed the solo, IMO. But apart from that, I love the guitars on CD.

I think that with guys like Robin and Buckethead out of the band, Axl has no pressure from anyone to release anything. The current members seem to be ok with anything Axl decides. Ron is a clear example, the guy was in pain in some concerts but he just doesn't want to be kicked out and miss all the fun and money.

Maybe if there was another member concerned about actually getting people to listen to new music, well, Axl would fire him.... I mean, that would give Axl that itch to release a new album.

As much as I love discussing this stuff (recently. haven't posted here since i created an account) in the end, I don't get it. I don't understand anything. Every time I read Tommy, Dizzy or DJ talking about believing in "Axl's vision" I can't help but read "Axl's money". Sorry if that offends anybody, but that helps the situation to have any sense for me.

Msl.....if Best Buy pulled CD from their stores, then what is the point of still trying to keep CD alive?

I get get that he is dissapointed in the fans response to CD. I love the album and am still surprised that it didn't do as well as the Illusions. But if fans can't put the album at record stores, then what exactly is Axl trying to do? Your point would be more valid if a new fan went to a show, heard the CD songs and them went to best buy and purchased it. Same way as releasing another single, releasing a video. Which they aren't doing.

Well, I'm no expert either but if there's one person I can't hear ANY influence that's Tommy. I'm speaking about the record, not live shows. What I love about CD is exactly the guitar work. I loved so much Brian May solo on Catcher. Ron destroyed the solo, IMO. But apart from that, I love the guitars on CD.

I think that with guys like Robin and Buckethead out of the band, Axl has no pressure from anyone to release anything. The current members seem to be ok with anything Axl decides. Ron is a clear example, the guy was in pain in some concerts but he just doesn't want to be kicked out and miss all the fun and money.

Maybe if there was another member concerned about actually getting people to listen to new music, well, Axl would fire him.... I mean, that would give Axl that itch to release a new album.

As much as I love discussing this stuff (recently. haven't posted here since i created an account) in the end, I don't get it. I don't understand anything. Every time I read Tommy, Dizzy or DJ talking about believing in "Axl's vision" I can't help but read "Axl's money". Sorry if that offends anybody, but that helps the situation to have any sense for me.

Being successful is a factor, it seems like a consideration. a successful career, which means separate albums of high quality and impact. even if the goal with CD was to have a non mainstream agenda.

but i disagree a bit about, Tommy, his bass isn't overt but the percussive nature of the music means it sits in with the drums. the solos to me are almost tacked on. you can take them off Madagascar and you still have the song. I think it's true that Tommy isn't as important as Pitman or even Dizzy. It Axl, keyboards and drums led. If you take the guitars out of AFD or a song like Brown Sugar the tune disappears. Take guitars off Prostitute you still have the song. listen to Piano and Vocals mix.

so it's weird when people get bent out of shape about the various guitarists sometimes cos they don't even matter. well thats too strong but something like that.

and maybe they will return to a more guitar led band with Dj.

Being successful is a factor, it seems like a consideration. a successful career, which means separate albums of high quality and impact. even if the goal with CD was to have a non mainstream agenda.

but i disagree a bit about, Tommy, his bass isn't overt but the percussive nature of the music means it sits in with the drums. the solos to me are almost tacked on. you can take them off Madagascar and you still have the song. I think it's true that Tommy isn't as important as Pitman or even Dizzy. It Axl, keyboards and drums led. If you take the guitars out of AFD or a song like Brown Sugar the tune disappears. Take guitars off Prostitute you still have the song. listen to Piano and Vocals mix.

so it's weird when people get bent out of shape about the various guitarists sometimes cos they don't even matter. well thats too strong but something like that.

I would love a guitar driven record. But only if they get really creative. All the work I've heard from DJ until today is generic and boring for my tastes. If he really has a different take for GNR as he said, maybe his ideas can actually work. I hope so. Axl created such a beautiful mix of sound with CD that a bluesy sound or cheesy 80's riffs would be a huge step back, IMO.

I would love a guitar driven record. But only if they get really creative. All the work I've heard from DJ until today is generic and boring for my tastes. If he really has a different take for GNR as he said, maybe his ideas can actually work. I hope so. Axl created such a beautiful mix of sound with CD that a bluesy sound or cheesy 80's riffs would be a huge step back, IMO.

depends what the choose do. keep on with CD style, inject Dj into it or maybe just do his instrumentals with one tune. Or they shake things up and follow Dj's lead. What happened with CD was that stuff like NIN (Robin) or Rob Zombie (Bucket) got sucked into GNR's world or something like that. like on SOD the old GNR dynamics are there it's just been approached differently, it came about a bit like something off Angel Dust or UNKLE production wise. thats maybe just a product of all the people who worked on the record. But whatever Dj does best, what it his hallmark will be used, taken on board and a GNR song will give it a home. my guess is it's these high soaring guitars he does, really up tempo, staccato riffing, perfect to do another Garden of Eden like track. Ron could do an awesome Locomotive style thing.

With Madagascar you cherry-picked the one song where the solo matters least. The solos in most of the rest are important, and some like Shackler's, TWAT, and This I Love are the highlights of their song. However, the riffing during verse and chorus is definitely less essential now - in an Appetite or Illusions song, you could hear two seconds of just the guitars and know which song. With a lot of CD (not all, but a lot) you wouldn't be able to.

With Madagascar you cherry-picked the one song where the solo matters least. The solos in most of the rest are important, and some like Shackler's, TWAT, and This I Love are the highlights of their song. However, the riffing during verse and chorus is definitely less essential now - in an Appetite or Illusions song, you could hear two seconds of just the guitars and know which song. With a lot of CD (not all, but a lot) you wouldn't be able to.

I picked Madagascar bcos it's not guitar oriented, like Prostitute and quite a few others. The solos can add something, but the actual tune of the song in songs you mentioned the solos don't really matter, TWAT has a cool dirty riff tho, awesome solos. Some of the songs like SOD, Catcher, TIL seem piano derived, there's guitars all over them but you take them out makes no difference to the song it still stands?

Some have been taken towards a more drum direction. Even Chi Dem it basically drops down into drums and Axl in the verses. I think you are agreeing with in what you say about AFD and CD. the guitars were the tune, now the tune is the strings. It's not riff oriented? I mean Shackler's and Riad might be riffs but they are the nastiest riffs, on Riad is that Tommy doing a bass riff? not saying it doesn't work, it sounds awesome.

I hate to bring this up but old Guns made LOT of music videos and why hasn't new Guns done nothing?? Just thinking...

There was a different time. Video clips was airing on TV, now nobody give a flying fuck about videos.

I hate to bring this up but old Guns made LOT of music videos and why hasn't new Guns done nothing?? Just thinking...

There was a different time. Video clips was airing on TV, now nobody give a flying fuck about videos.

Yeh, tell that to the billions of people who actively access music videos on Youtube... Obviously no one cares about music videos anymore. It CANNOT be Axl's fault at all.................

Yeh, tell that to the billions of people who actively access music videos on Youtube... Obviously no one cares about music videos anymore. It CANNOT be Axl's fault at all.................

Yes, it's Axl's responsibility for the fact that they weren't released. Yes, he probably had/has his reasons they weren't. No, there's no way to be sure whether his reasons were good ones or not since we don't know them.

Yes, it's Axl's responsibility for the fact that they weren't released. Yes, he probably had/has his reasons they weren't. No, there's no way to be sure whether his reasons were good ones or not since we don't know them.

I'm not really saying it was/wasn't Axl's fault, but I was replying to the fatuitous post that said no one cares about music videos anymore.........

Edited by Young_Gun

It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

What really boggles my mind is Axl's silence on this subject. I mean, on one hand it's not surprising because Axl has remained silent on a lot of issues, but if it was something simple like the record company refusing to release a new album because they want a reunion instead, Axl would have said something about it out of frustration by now. Don't you think?

He seemed enthusiastic about the unreleased material during the 2008 chats. To our knowledge, everything in the band seems to have been on an upward trajectory since then, no major upheavals (other than replacing managers) and they've gotten better and more respected as a live act. Obviously the Better video was filmed and edited in 2008 - but Axl decided not to release it for some reason. I can't think of any other explanation.

Out of all the theories, the one about trying to still "work" Chinese Democracy has got to be the stupidest. It is obvious to everyone that Chinese Democracy is over, as far as the general public is concerned. The only way to revive it is to release a new album (or at the least, a new single) to get people talking about new Guns, and then they may take an interest in checking out the previous album. Having it available in stores for them to purchase would probably also be helpful. If this really is the reason for not releasing or even fucking talking about new material, then I give up on this band entirely.

I Believe that Axl is deeply affected by things said about him and the way people treat him .

Despite the way he comes across on stage he is an insecure person afraid of not being accepted.

I base this opinion on the things he does that don't make any sense.

Goin on late every night , reclusive behavior in the past, dissecting reviews about him, creeping arpund the forums, attacking forum members, outbursts on stage agiainst hecklers, and taking forever to let the public hear anything.

Again, just my opinion, but this explanation lines up with all things Axl rose that are unexplainable .