Why do you think Axl is so apprehensive to release new music?

ITW 2012

Why do you think Axl is so apprehensive to release new music? Is it because the record company doesn't give a shit about New GNR albums after Chinese Democracy or does it all boil down to Axl's sense of perfectionism? I find it hard to believe that CD II needs more than a mix and mastering to be ready for release.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's obvious that Axl has more than enough material in the vaults for the rumoured 3 albums talk......so 1 album would be no problem at all...

My guess from observing Axl and GN'R for all these years of being a fan. Is that simply, Axl likes making people think, to talk, to imagine, to wish, to hope......he loves the essence of keeping things mysterious with GN'R, and he knows it has worked for him so far.

Another worrying sign is that we've heard absolutely ZERO in regards to new material, so my thoughts are that we are way away from seeing a new album anytime soon. :unsure:

Edited by One.In.A.Million

Mayhap a combination of Axl tinkering over the Chinese trilogy material he won't throw away plus his stubborness at taking time off to work on material and direction as an actual band, coupled with too much touring and executives sticking their cantankerous beaks in about money and his track record.

I've got 4 different hypothesis:

1- He's sick of the studio, sick of the album releasing process. Dude must've gotten traumatized after CD so he's avoiding going back to the studio.

2- He's given up on releasing new material and wants to become a nostalgia acts 'cause touring is where the money's at and everybody goes for the classics.

3- He doesn't wanna give up on CD.

4- It's all going according to the plan on his head and he'll eventually release it, but it's not time yet (for him).

EDIT: 5th Hypothesis: The rest of his material is really experimental like he said "electronica with full guitars" and he's just no into that anymore, or he thinks fans won't like 'em.

Edited by It Don't Really Matter

Probably a combination of the endless tinkering in the studio from 2000-2006 and then the subsequent endless negotiations and butchering of the final release. I believe the label would have supported the record if it actually came out in 2004 which is the year they finally cut funding after Axl failed to turn in a record. After that the released the Greatest Hits against Axl's wishes and made ALOT of money and continue to do so. My only guess is by the time Axl was ready to finally release the record in 2006/07, the label had no interest in putting it out in a conventional release and wanted some collateral(ie Best Buy). Now that they made more than their money back from Best Buy and the good international sales of Chidem, as well as very well selling Greatest Hits, I do not think the label want to put out another Guns N' Roses record unless it involves the old line up, either on a tour and or new record...

My theories :

1) The material in the vault isn't that good and he (and the record company) has no confidence in it ;

2) He has good material ready to go, but needs to get DJ to redo his parts ;

3) He's a perfectionist to the level of being obsessive. He's redoing and redoing music that could've been put out ages ago ;

4) He's pissed off at the way Chinese Democracy was released and promoted, and so wants to promote it and repair some of the damage with all of this touring ;

5) He's just a lazy millionaire who wants to enjoy life and all the trappings of success......... Could you be really be bothered dragging your hungover ass down to the recording studio when you have gorgeous, big-bosomed model-types all over you any time you go out to a bar?!?

I think he made a bunch of songs but now sees them as dated and does not care for them anymore and will not put them out. Plus buckethead is whack and accept for the few people that do drugs on thia board and think bucket is amazing know his "influence" on gnr sings suck. Sorry but its true....

I believe he's disapointed about how people didn't get Chinese Democracy, overlooking the fact that it didn't have proper promotion at all until the 2009/10/11/12 tour. He must be very frustrated about how hard it was to get it released and don't want to push himself into that again.

Going for the traumatized theory - fingers got burned releasing CD in so many ways. His project wasnt received in the way he wanted it to be, took way to long to make it out and the album became the but of industry jokes, record label disputes...it wouldnt be entirely surprising if he just wanted to stick to where he is most comfortable - performing 3 hour +, old school rock n roll shows.

It would be a shame if Axl wasn't able to sing the songs properly by the time they are released. I'm thinking about what happened with There Was A Time and Prostitute. Those songs are undoubtedly two of the cornerstone songs off Chinese Democracy, but since Axl can't pull them off live, they almost never get performed, while drivel like Chinese Democracy and TIL gets played every night.

Edited by ITW 2012

IMO, it is because he was surprised that CD didn't do as well as he thought it would. I personally think it is every bit as good as the Illusions, and that the album would have re-cemented GnR's old spot in the rock and roll world. 8-10 million copies sold, 3-4 top 10 rock hits. I'm still surprised that it didn't do better, or that more fans didn't embrace the album. There are so many songs off the album that are better than songs that were mainstream rock hits.

I'd guess it was frustration with working with the label (something that has been the case since 1987) and frustration that the world didn't embrace CD. So now he is in no hurry to go through that process again.

Which is a crying shame. Because I think that millions of fans would love any music that Axl put out.

OH - no, disregard everything I just wrote.

Axl isn't releasing new music because he has artistic integrity and only sell outs release albums on a consistent basis. Axl will release the music when he is so inspired to do it - and if that is every 10 years or every 20 years, it is only because he is a true artist and has respect for the music. When he has 14 songs that touch his soul - then he will release an album. Until then, we should all bow down and respect and worship the fact that he has such artistic integrity that he isn't willing to compromise on his music vision.

IMO, it is because he was surprised that CD didn't do as well as he thought it would. I personally think it is every bit as good as the Illusions, and that the album would have re-cemented GnR's old spot in the rock and roll world. 8-10 million copies sold, 3-4 top 10 rock hits. I'm still surprised that it didn't do better, or that more fans didn't embrace the album. There are so many songs off the album that are better than songs that were mainstream rock hits.

I'd guess it was frustration with working with the label (something that has been the case since 1987) and frustration that the world didn't embrace CD. So now he is in no hurry to go through that process again.

Which is a crying shame. Because I think that millions of fans would love any music that Axl put out.

Axl isn't releasing new music because he has artistic integrity and only sell outs release albums on a consistent basis. Axl will release the music when he is so inspired to do it - and if that is every 10 years or every 20 years, it is only because he is a true artist and has respect for the music. When he has 14 songs that touch his soul - then he will release an album. Until then, we should all bow down and respect and worship the fact that he has such artistic integrity that he isn't willing to compromise on his music vision.

CD is an average album, I didn't like it so much...couple of good songs others bullshit :)

CD is an average album, I didn't like it so much...couple of good songs others bullshit :)

I disagree, smiley face.

I've got 4 different hypothesis:

1- He's sick of the studio, sick of the album releasing process. Dude must've gotten traumatized after CD so he's avoiding going back to the studio.

2- He's given up on releasing new material and wants to become a nostalgia acts 'cause touring is where the money's at and everybody goes for the classics.

3- He doesn't wanna give up on CD.

4- It's all going according to the plan on his head and he'll eventually release it, but it's not time yet (for him).

EDIT: 5th Hypothesis: The rest of his material is really experimental like he said "electronica with full guitars" and he's just no into that anymore, or he thinks fans won't like 'em.

Hypothesis 6 - The leftovers were not as good as the songs on Chinese Democracy which itself didnt exactly blow everyone away (hence why they were rejected) so this is why Axl has not let anyone hear any live or wont release them as an album and no amount of tinkering by dj ashba is going to make them good enough songs. Simple.

Edited by spunko12345

Well there has to be something wrong since newguns has only released one album compared to old guns who were less together than newguns and released 4 albums+1 cover album

Edited by gunnari

I kinda find it hard to believe that this is all due to his perfectionism. It must be some kind of problem with the record company, or, perhaps, they lied when they said they had 3 albums worth of songs.

I partially agree with you. I don't think the record company has any interest in releasing more New GNR records. It makes more business sense for them to hold out in the hopes that Axl will reunite with the real band. The potential pay off for the record company is simply too great to risk letting Axl finish GNR's contract with New GNR albums.

Edited by ITW 2012

Well there has to be something wrong since newguns has only released one album compared to old guns who were less together than newguns and released 4 albums+1 cover album

Record company.

I kinda find it hard to believe that this is all due to his perfectionism. It must be some kind of problem with the record company, or, perhaps, they lied when they said they had 3 albums worth of songs.

I partially agree with you. I don't think the record company has any interest in releasing more New GNR records. It makes more business sense for them to hold out in the hopes that Axl will reunite with the real band. The potential pay off for the record company is simply too great to risk letting Axl finish GNR's contract with New GNR albums.

You ever read about new coke or Pepsi clear? They basically market those the next big thing until the public got pissed off so when they reintroduced Classic Coca Cola sales have never been better.

Same with GN'R. They hoped Chinese Democracy wil tank so bad Axl will be forced to reunite with Slash and Duff. Nevermind Izzy or Steven.