Guns N' Roses - Manchester MEN Arena (29/05/12)

SMG

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was it getting in for those of you that linedans up early? I remember last time... I was there early in the morning, but it didn't matter. They just opened random doors, and people RAN! The staff were SO bad, they had no idea how to organize it at all. It made me crazy.. Promised lysrør never to attend a show there again :rofl-lol:

Hope you had a GREAT time! Love to see shackler's back on the setlist!! Hope they play it in London tomorrow. See you all there! :)

How was it getting in for those of you that lined up early? I remember last time... I was there early in the morning, but it didn't matter. They just opened random doors, and people RAN! The staff were SO bad, they had no idea how to organize it at all. It made me crazy.. Promised myself never to attend a show there again :rofl-lol:

Hope you had a GREAT time! Love to see shackler's back on the setlist!! Hope they play it in London tomorrow. See you all there! :)

Went to see GN'R last night with a mate who got free tickets and just a quick review really -

Good - Axl's voice and perfomance were brilliant

DJ and Fortus were better guitarists than I gave them credit for and nailed a lot of the parts really well

Tommy's bass sounded awesome; really clear in the mix

Good mix of old and new stuff, especially Shacklers, but cont. in points below. November Rain was the song of the night for me

Bad - Apart from Chinese.... opening, the rest of the CD songs really killed the set I thought, especially Sorry after such killer first few songs. Shame because they were played really well, but I guess the majority aren't familiar with them

The solo spots also killed the momentum, I'm glad Dizzy knows the three chords to Baba o' Riley, but it was pretty obvious when people were heading to the bar/toilet when that, Motivation and Glad To Be Here were played.

Overall I really enjoyed it! We were in standing section and it never really got busy, which was cool and I'd probably estimate the arena was about 7/10 full, which dwindled further into the set, just as an observation.

Oh and that Thin Lizzy cover band weren't too bad either!

Jungle sounds above average. Estranged is good but he has yet to hit the last note like he did in Chile (the gig after the disastrous RIR '11). I think c32's youtube has the best one. Axl's voice sounds good. I'm sure he's just picking his spot for when he's going to unleash...Shadow of your Love. jk. I think rockers like Omg, Riad, and/or I think about you could fit nicely in the set. (Of course, so would new songs and I havent even heard them!) I say those in part. b/c we know they were on the '11 setlist and they'd fit really fucking good. I think Omg is the most reasonable request. It isnt as hard to sing as Riad, its proggy and not AFD, yet it rocks which is what the set needs.

Went to see GN'R last night with a mate who got free tickets and just a quick review really -

DJ and Fortus were better guitarists than I gave them credit for and nailed a lot of the parts really well

Good mix of old and new stuff, especially Shacklers, but cont. in points below. November Rain was the song of the night for me

Bad - Apart from Chinese.... opening, the rest of the CD songs really killed the set I thought, especially Sorry after such killer first few songs. Shame because they were played really well, but I guess the majority aren't familiar with them

The solo spots also killed the momentum, I'm glad Dizzy knows the three chords to Baba o' Riley, but it was pretty obvious when people were heading to the bar/toilet when that, Motivation and Glad To Be Here were played.

Overall I really enjoyed it! We were in standing section and it never really got busy, which was cool and I'd probably estimate the arena was about 7/10 full, which dwindled further into the set, just as an observation.

Obviously, you enjoyed the concert, but do you think you would have enjoyed it more if you had actually purchased the tickets?

I always remember a conversation I had years ago with a guy that worked with Raw Power magazine in the UK, and he said one of the reviewers who worked for Raw at the time reviewed a concert he purchased tickets for, and he mentioned in private afterwards that if he had got in for free, he said he probably would have been more critical in the review. I got similar comments from a guy I lived near in Surrey Quays who reviewed a play called 'Art' in London years ago. He had purchased tickets for the show anyway, so his employers got him to review it.

I noticed the same about Sorry when I saw the band in Hamilton last November. However, after that 4-song explosion the rest was actually needed.

Would you rather take a piss break during one of the classics? I sort of thing that's what the purpose of the solos are for. However, not all of them are needed each and every night.

I noticed the same about Sorry when I saw the band in Hamilton last November. However, after that 4-song explosion the rest was actually needed.

Would you rather take a piss break during one of the classics? I sort of thing that's what the purpose of the solos are for. However, not all of them are needed each and every night.

I think Sorry is a REAL combo breaker. Need a rest? Used To Love Her/ You're Crazy's good for that. Hell, even Catcher. Sorry's too much of a pessimistic/down song for a concert, IMO. I think the only reason it's a staple is 'cause it's easy to sing. And yes, the ideal setlist would be like Rock AM Ring. One solo and one jam.

Jungle sounds above average. Estranged is good but he has yet to hit the last note like he did in Chile (the gig after the disastrous RIR '11). I think c32's youtube has the best one. Axl's voice sounds good. I'm sure he's just picking his spot for when he's going to unleash...Shadow of your Love. jk. I think rockers like Omg, Riad, and/or I think about you could fit nicely in the set. (Of course, so would new songs and I havent even heard them!) I say those in part. b/c we know they were on the '11 setlist and they'd fit really fucking good. I think Omg is the most reasonable request. It isnt as hard to sing as Riad, its proggy and not AFD, yet it rocks which is what the set needs.

OMG, If The World, Prostitute and TWAT were all in the set last night as options still, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for them being played. I reckon we might get Catcher and maybe one more performance of TWAT this tour, but Prostitute just never clicked live, it was far too difficult for Axl to pull of live. Not too sure why If The World is absent, I always liked the few live performances we got of it. :(

Edited by KetchupNotMayo

SORRY is a brilliant song underrated by most. It's a an absolute killer song live.

I actually really enjoyed Sorry last time I saw them. Fortus was crazy into it and because the music is kind of stripped back for the verses it has this sort of tension to it as the whole crowd can actually follow what he is saying. I think its one of the reasons TIL can be so affecting too.

Good: Sounds like it was an awesome show and it's good to see Shackler's played again. Here's hoping for a repeat on Friday.

Bad: Feel sorry for the poor buggers who missed half the performance but that's to be expected by now I guess. :shrugs:

It goes without saying I had a great time last night.

I wanted to arrive at the arena early in the afternoon but I didn't turn up until 4pm so my friend and I decided to play cards to pass the time.

I recognised a couple of people too.

The band was in a great mood.

Fernando remembered me from Newcastle and waved at us from the stage.

I got to the front row again!

I was beside Axl_morris and his missus.

Axl sounded great. I could hear him very clearly from the speakers on the far right of the stage.

I smiled at Kat and she looked at me.

I said hello to Jarmo but I don't think he heard me.

I lost my mind when the band started Shackler's Revenge.

I made Ron smile again; mission accomplished.

DJ ran by us and I slapped him on the chest and he also snapped a string towards the end of Patience.

A roadie gave me one of DJ's guitar pics.

I picked up a lot of confetti.

After the show I met Sleeping Like An Angel, Axl_morris, KetchupNotMayo and Dory.

They were a lot of fun.

Meeting Axl was surreal.

I asked him to sign my Chinese Democracy booklet without a pen so I started to panic.

I held my nerve and didn't bottle it by weeping in front of him like I did when I met Duff and Loaded.

Needless to say I am very happy right now.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004