The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Question for any of the more tech-savvy folks here - is The Hobbit encoded at 48 fps? Can Blu Ray players and HDTV's even support 48 fps? I can't find any concrete info on either of these points at all.

Watching The Hobbit right now - the CGI looks absolutely horrid in 2D. Just sayin'...

I don't believe the blu-ray is encoded at 48 fps. I could be mistaken though.

And honestly, I thought some of the CGI looked bad in 3D :shrugs: A lot of it could have been done without and had real people used.

Anyway, my Zero Dark Thirty steel came today, and I love it! It's so simple looking, yet beautiful. And honestly, it's one of the rarest steels out there right now probably, because it is an absolutely US exclusive. Not available anywhere else in the world, and most Best Buy stores were getting 10 or less copies. I wouldn't have gotten one if I wouldn't have pre-ordered it online.

I don't believe the blu-ray is encoded at 48 fps. I could be mistaken though.

And honestly, I thought some of the CGI looked bad in 3D :shrugs: A lot of it could have been done without and had real people used.

Anyway, my Zero Dark Thirty steel came today, and I love it! It's so simple looking, yet beautiful. And honestly, it's one of the rarest steels out there right now probably, because it is an absolutely US exclusive. Not available anywhere else in the world, and most Best Buy stores were getting 10 or less copies. I wouldn't have gotten one if I wouldn't have pre-ordered it online.

Agreed on the CGI...though for how unimpressive the visual effects were, the fact that it was a much truer adaptation than LOTR made it thoroughly enjoyable to me :shrugs:

Question for any of the more tech-savvy folks here - is The Hobbit encoded at 48 fps? Can Blu Ray players and HDTV's even support 48 fps? I can't find any concrete info on either of these points at all.

Watching The Hobbit right now - the CGI looks absolutely horrid in 2D. Just sayin'...

No, no bluray players or displays can display this format yet... I say yet cause you know it's coming one day

Even HDMI cables cannot support 48fps

Oh and I agree about CGI, they need to work on something better for movies

Edited by gunsguy

Oh I loved The Hobbit, I just wish they would have used real people for certain parts, I. E. The White Orc

I've never read any of the books though, so not sure how true the adaptations are.

I'd highly recommend reading The Hobbit! It's a fairly light read, especially by Tolkien's standards - I just finished re-reading it, and it's plenty easy enough doing a chapter a night, at which pace you can get through it in a few weeks. It's a fun story and might make the second and third films more exciting for you. The second act is a little slow moving, so it might really set you up for the second film a bit better too ;)

If you enjoy The Hobbit, LOTR is also well worth reading, but a bit more involved. It's interesting to see how watered down the films were, I mean there's major plot points that aren't even mentioned, especially in Return Of The King.

No, no bluray players or displays can display this format yet... I say yet cause you know it's coming one day

Even HDMI cables cannot support 48fps

Oh and I agree about CGI, they need to work on something better for movies

From what I hear, people hated the way 48 fps looked anyway.

And I agree about CGI, the days of scale models looked SOOOOOOO much better.

It lulled for a bit for me a few weeks ago, but this has been a bit of a heavy month. Nothing coming out for a bit that I want to get Day 1 until mid-April when Django comes out, but I'm getting the UK steel for that, but the week after I'm getting Jurassic Park 3D, but that's it for April, thankfully.

Prometheus and Life of Pi are great examples of fantastic CGI.

Picking up This Is 40 and the Les Mis steelbook tomorrow. Honestly, I wouldn't even buy Les Mis if there wasn't a steelbook :lol: But hey, for all I know, I'll like it. :shrugs:

gonna pick up life of pi wife wants it. Good flick?

Prometheus and Life of Pi are great examples of fantastic CGI.

Picking up This Is 40 and the Les Mis steelbook tomorrow. Honestly, I wouldn't even buy Les Mis if there wasn't a steelbook :lol: But hey, for all I know, I'll like it. :shrugs:

gonna pick up life of pi wife wants it. Good flick?

It reminded me a little bit of Cast Away.