3 1/2 years after CD was released, how do you rate the songs? (1 to 10 scale)

Madridista

Chinese Democracy - 7 Its trying to be the next WTTJ but its not there. Still has a great, catchy, riff and I love Bumblefoot's additions. Axl's voice sounds raw, angry, and powerful. The guitars do sound a bit cheesy though and the song gets somewhat repetitive. I also don't like the long intro.

Shackler's Revenge - 9 The 2nd best song on the album. This is what Chinese Democracy should have been throughout. Its got a gloomy, aggressive tone throughout. Axls voice is spot on and the range is amazing. The solo is fantastic, its different, its mean. This song is just brutal and I love it. Should have been the first single. When I think of the word Chinese Democracy, I think of rebellion, violence etc. This song fits that perfectly.

Better - 6 Very generic sounding song. I do not like the intro at all. Sounds really cheesy and somewhat embarrassing. The chorus is very catchy but my problem is the sound of the guitars. Its sounds really cheesy and fake. The leak had a very powerful and raw guitar sound which I liked. The breakdown vocally is amazing but the whole synth crap ruins it. It should have been heavy with the same tone of guitars as the leak or something similar to the sound of the guitar in the solo in Shacklers.

Street of Dreams - 5 It could have been much better. It should have been. Should have been more grandiose like Estranged or November Rain but its just not there. The chorus is not appealing. The guitars are lovely from the tone to the feel. Its actually everything else seems lacking. The song speaks for itself when it couldn't chart.

If the world - 3 This entire song is awful. Too many synths. The acoustic riff is so catchy and the solo has a lot of emotion. I hate the sounds of the guitar and the synths during the chorus. Nearly everything else is perfect, it just sounds over produced.

There was a time - 10 THE best song on the album hands down. Everything is great, powerful, emotional. The intro is great. Axls vocals are amazing. Really well done song. I have no complaints.

Catcher in the rye - 7 I will never understand why Brian May's part was removed. I get he isn't part of the band but his tone and feel fit the song perfectly. 100%. The chorus is very catchy. Its happy, makes you feel good. Could have been a lot better and is lacking like Street Of Dreams. I do enjoy this song although.

Scraped- 4 This song could have been killer. It could have followed the same path as Shacklers but its ruined by that shitty pop synth all throughout. The riff is killer, it just sounds over produced. Its a shame.

Riad N the Bedouins - 3 Sounds over produced. Very generic riff. Nothing special at all. A filler. The leak had me interested and this version had me disappointed.

Sorry - 7 Great, gloomy, dark, song. If the huge synth like sounding shit was removed from the Chorus, this would be an amazing song. Its different and thats why I like it. Its growing on me. The entire feel of the song is great.

IRS - 5 This song has both its good and bad. The chorus is catchy. It just sounds like its dated. It is, but if you didn't tell me it was around for over a decade I'd still say it sounds dated. More of a filler. A notch above Rhiad.

Madagascar- 2 This entire song is awful, over produced, and is a poor attempt at being a song in the same category as TWAT. The only appealing part was when MLKs voice is being played throughout. That part is scary, powerful, sounds great. Everything else sucks.

This I love - 3 Nothing spectacular. Axls voice is great but thats about it. Lets be honest, this is a poor mans Nov Rain or anything in that category. This was AXL and everyone else. Not appealing at all.

Prostitute- 8 Good song but more of a filler. A few notches below TWAT. The chorus and outro are GREAT. It needs more outside of that though to be on par with TWAT.

Overall: 5.7/10

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese Democracy 4/10

Shackler's Revenge 2/10

Better 4/10

Street of Dreams 3/10

If the world 3/10

There was a time 7/10

Catcher in the rey 2/10

Scraped 2/10

Riad N the Bedouins 2/10

Sorry 4/10

IRS 2/10

Madagascar 3/10

This I love 4/10

Prostitute 3/10

Whole album - 3.2/10

Edited by Ana_1991

Chinese Democracy 8

Shackler's Revenge 10

Better 9

Street of Dreams 4

If the world 1

There was a time 9

Catcher 1

Scraped 5

Riad N the Bedouins 7

Sorry 2

IRS 7

Madagascar 5 (Only because I hate the tone he sings it in on the album, the way he sung on the album like it was at the VMA's in 2002 it would have been a 9 or 10!!)

This I love 9

Prostitute 10

Albums average score 6.2

Edited by bigcountry

when everyone votes their scores, someone should average them all out. then we'd have an average rating for the whole forum. it'd be interesting to see how mediocre chinese democracy is rated, even among it's biggest fans.

Great idea!

Everyone should edit their posts and add average rating...

Chinese Democracy 2/10

Shackler's Revenge 6/10

Better 7/10

Street of Dreams 9/10

If the World 6/10

There was a Time 7/10

Catcher in the Rye 8/10

Scraped 3/10

Riad N the Bedouins 2/10

Sorry 6/10

IRS 7/10

Madagascar 6/10

This I love 8/10

Prostitute 8/10

i like how the score was culled from each song's average. i think if you asked members for a rating of the album itself, it'd score higher. but looking at each song individually, it tells a different story. is it possible that people like what chinese democracy represents to them or in their lives? and that counts for something bigger than enjoyment of the individual songs themselves?

here are my votes if you want to add them to the totals...

CD - 1/10

Shackler's - 6/10

Better - 4/10

SOD - 2/10

ITW - 1/10

TWAT - 5/10

Catcher - 1/10

Scraped - 1/10

Riad - 1/10

Sorry - 4/10

IRS - 1/10

Madagascar - 1/10

This I Love - 1/10

Prostitute - 3/10

composite rating: 2.3

my score will bring down the average a little. but 6.8 is nothing to scoff at. it's still an F, at least when calculated as a percentage, but it's a high F.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

i added up 35 posts ratings and it averaged to 6.78 or 6.8

so the average rating so far is 6.8

The average for each song could be calculated too.

thats so much work lol

I know from glancing that TWAT was the highest rated and Scraped was the lowest i dont know about the others

Wow. Your average is 5.714 and mine is 5.785. Doesn't get much closer than that. The only thing is, I think my posts are indicative of my rating of Chi Dem. Sometimes positive, sometimes negative, not quite content with the band but interested. You're first to jump to Axl's defense and nu guns defense yet you don't hardly like Chi Dem? That's sort of... odd? Don't you think? You must have more faith in this new band than you had in Bucket and Robin or something.

Why should my posts on the politics of GN'R, their short and long term strategies, the band's current management, current and future members, past accomplishments, the decision to continue with the name, the current situation, etc, in any way be a reflection of my thoughts on Chinese Democracy? These are two completely different things.

Even if I liked Chinese Democracy more or less than I do, it wouldn't make me hate or love the current management more, make me more or less in favour of past members who have nothing to do with that record, approve or disapprove long and short term strategies more, etc. These are unrelated things.

I believe I am quite misunderstood by many here. As I've said multiple times -- but no one seems to get it -- there are many things I think is wrong with the current band and lots to criticise about the band's actions in the past. But here's the thing with my postings: I rarely chime in to just agree with something someone else has said. I almost only post when I disagree with what someone has said. Not because I like being contrary per se, but because there is no value in echoes and redundant arguments. I want to add something, not copy something, hence I try to only post when I can present a conflicting opinion which will add something new to the discussion. People who post "+ 1" or "I agree" don't add anything but noise, really. It is not interesting at all to hear how many people agree on something, because truth is not found by consensus, but by arguments that are so strong that they survive regardless of how many present them.

The question is, why don't I disagree more with those who believe everything is okay in the world of GN'R? Mostly because such posts are extremely rare, I much more frequently come across negative posts that I disagree with. After all, I voted an 8 on my satisfaction level. And I also have a soft spot for people who love and support, in contrast to people who hate and destroy.

i like that you can be honest about axl's non-hall of fame music sucking. i can understand choosing to be positive. i think it's commendable. but i just can't make sense of scrapped or if the world honestly sounding good to human ears.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

i like how the score was culled from each song's average. i think if you asked members for a rating of the album itself, it'd score higher. but looking at each song individually, it tells a different story. is it possible that people like what chinese democracy represents to them or in their lives? and that counts for something bigger than enjoyment of the individual songs themselves?

here are my votes if you want to add them to the totals...

CD - 1/10

Shackler's - 6/10

Better - 4/10

SOD - 2/10

ITW - 1/10

TWAT - 5/10

Catcher - 1/10

Scraped - 1/10

Riad - 1/10

Sorry - 4/10

IRS - 1/10

Madagascar - 1/10

This I Love - 1/10

Prostitute - 3/10

composite rating: 2.3

my score will bring down the average a little. but 6.8 is nothing to scoff at. it's still an F, at least when calculated as a percentage, but it's a high F.

:lol:

My average was 3.9 points.

i like that you can be honest about axl's non-hall of fame music sucking.

CD contains the best (There Was A Time) and worst (This I Love, If The World) songs in the GN'R catalogue, in my opinion. Hopefully the next record will be more skewed towards my preferences. If so, the next record can rival UYIs and perhaps even AFD. And that is a good enough reason for me to support the band.

I like the album a lot, thus the high scores.

Chinese Democracy - 10/10

Shackler's Revenge - 8/10

Better - 10/10

Street of Dreams - 9/10

If the world - 8/10

There was a time - 10/10

Catcher - 8/10

Scraped - 8/10

Riad N the Bedouins - 7/10

Sorry - 10/10

IRS - 8/10

Madagascar - 9/10

This I love - 10/10

Prostitute - 10/10

Overall: 8.9

It's slightly below AFD, above both Illusions.

Wow. Your average is 5.714 and mine is 5.785. Doesn't get much closer than that. The only thing is, I think my posts are indicative of my rating of Chi Dem. Sometimes positive, sometimes negative, not quite content with the band but interested. You're first to jump to Axl's defense and nu guns defense yet you don't hardly like Chi Dem? That's sort of... odd? Don't you think? You must have more faith in this new band than you had in Bucket and Robin or something.

Why should my posts on the politics of GN'R, their short and long term strategies, the band's current management, current and future members, past accomplishments, the decision to continue with the name, the current situation, etc, in any way be a reflection of my thoughts on Chinese Democracy? These are two completely different things.

Even if I liked Chinese Democracy more or less than I do, it wouldn't make me hate or love the current management more, make me more or less in favour of past members who have nothing to do with that record, approve or disapprove long and short term strategies more, etc. These are unrelated things.

I believe I am quite misunderstood by many here. As I've said multiple times -- but no one seems to get it -- there are many things I think is wrong with the current band and lots to criticise about the band's actions in the past. But here's the thing with my postings: I rarely chime in to just agree with something someone else has said. I almost only post when I disagree with what someone has said. Not because I like being contrary per se, but because there is no value in echoes and redundant arguments. I want to add something, not copy something, hence I try to only post when I can present a conflicting opinion which will add something new to the discussion. People who post "+ 1" or "I agree" don't add anything but noise, really. It is not interesting at all to hear how many people agree on something, because truth is not found by consensus, but by arguments that are so strong that they survive regardless of how many present them.

The question is, why don't I disagree more with those who believe everything is okay in the world of GN'R? Mostly because such posts are extremely rare, I much more frequently come across negative posts that I disagree with. After all, I voted an 8 on my satisfaction level. And I also have a soft spot for people who love and support, in contrast to people who hate and destroy.

Why can't you do that without insulting people you disagree with?

And why can't you do all that solely based on each individual post/topic, without carrying a grudge from topic to topic? If your long rant about your posting technique is true, then you would look at each topic/post as a new seperate entity. But you don't. And I've seen you respond to people with an insult or just to "argue." (When you start debating the meaning of a specific word. Like Classic vs original. You aren't trying to have a normal discussion, you are purposely going after people that you have had past disagreements with.

If your rant was actually true it would make you one of the better posters on here. But you don't actually post like you claim. Not even close. I'm not really sure if you seriously think that you actually described how you post - or if that entire post was tongue-in-cheek and you are just having a laugh?

Like I said, if you did actually follow your own "dream" posting world, with your dedication to the band and knowledge of GnR, you would be one of the best posters on here. But you don't really fit the description you described.

Edited by Groghan

Chinese Democracy 7/10

Shackler's Revenge 7/10

Better 9/10

Steet Of Dreams 7/10

If The World 6/10

There Was A Time 9/10

Catcher In The Rye 8/10

Scraped 4/10

Riad N' The Bedouins 8/10

Sorry 8/10

I.R.S. 8/10

Madagascar 9/10

This I Love 6/10

Prostitute 9/10

Average: 7.5

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Idiotic smiley... There's a lot of crap on the Illusion albums, especially on number two.

That was a very random comment to make in this thread. :confused: