Did Axl not attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony change your view of the current lineup?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Did Axl not attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony change your view of the current lineup?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems after the Hall of Fame Ceremony came and went, things became tense around here among the fans.

In the back of my mind, I supported the current lineup with the idea that, at some point, Axl would at the very least accept his Hall of Fame Induction with the original lineup. Since he's refused the induction, my support has waned.

Anyone else feel the same?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no correlation between an award show celebrating the accomplishments of a previous lineup and the current lineup.

It's not really a current and previous lineup, it's Guns n' Roses and Axl's band. :shrugs:

It seems after the Hall of Fame Ceremony came and went, things became tense around here among the fans.

In the back of my mind, I supported the current lineup with the idea that, at some point, Axl would at the very least accept his Hall of Fame Induction with the original lineup. Since he's refused the induction, my support has waned.

Anyone else feel the same?

What fucking award show makes you pay 5 figures for a table? The Rock Hall, that's who. I doubt anyone who gets a Nobel Prize has to pay for their own table. Axl can pat himself on the back for free.

The award show is mostly meant for people like Wanda Jackson or Laura Nyro, people who get lost over time that factored in to rock history. But Leonard Cohen got one? He's NEVER played rock music, and I'm a big fan of his.

Axl was thoughtful in his letter, and he respectfully declined attending. Lydon (as Rotten) was more snarky about it, but as a Sex Pistol, why would he, Jonesy, and Cook go when it goes against everything the Pistols stood for? Lydon presented Kate Bush with an award, and if PiL were presented with some achievement award, he'd go. But the Pistols are rebels. Even as old men, they'd be curmudgeon rebels.

"I was keen to go to (the dinner) and pick up my award, but after 20 years the Beatles still have some business differences which I had hoped would have been settled by now. Unfortunately, they haven't been (settled), so I would feel like a complete hypocrite waving and smiling with (Harrison and Starr) at a fake reunion." - Paul McCartney

No different than what Axl did. Axl didn't want to be a hypocrite being on stage with Slash, pretending everything is okay when they still have differences that have yet to be ironed out.

You might not like it, but you have to respect it.

But what about the countless names of people who have never received a Rock Hall induction? How about Axl's first tattoo, the one he wanted Phil Lynott to see? WHERE THE FUCK IS THIN LIZZY? How can Thin Lizzy not be inducted?

"I was keen to go to (the dinner) and pick up my award, but after 20 years the Beatles still have some business differences which I had hoped would have been settled by now. Unfortunately, they haven't been (settled), so I would feel like a complete hypocrite waving and smiling with (Harrison and Starr) at a fake reunion." - Paul McCartney

You would have a point if that was what Axl had said instead of taking jabs at everyone like a child throwing a tantrum.....I respect his right not to go just not the way he did it..........

Axl has presented at the Hall of Fame. Axl has performed at the Hall of Fame. Axl has spent time backstage at the Hall of Fame. Axl has called the HOF an "honor." In addition Axl has accepted even more obsurd awards like the MTV Video Vangaurd award.

Anyway, back on topic, no it hasn't changed my mind of the current lineup and Axl didn't proove a damn thing but not showing.

Axl has presented at the Hall of Fame. Axl has performed at the Hall of Fame. Axl has spent time backstage at the Hall of Fame. Axl has called the HOF an "honor." In addition Axl has accepted even more obsurd awards like the MTV Video Vangaurd award.

Excellent point................so much for the false integrity........

No, but it showed me that Axl still has a shred of integrity left in him.

same way i feel axl and izzy did the right thing by not showing up IMO

Except

Where was the integrity then?..........more like hypocracy..........

Edited by classicrawker

Except

So, you think people opinions/way of thinking cant change after 15+ years? :laugh:

To me it just made Axl sound more committed to the current lineup than I ever thought and that he doesn't sell himself out for his beliefs for the sake of fame, money or anyone's entertainment.

Put it this way, some desperate fans want to hear the old band again for the sake of nostalgia. To hear some new music. For Axl rose, he is turning down millions of $$$ and if he believes in something THAT much to turn down that amount, then who are we to slate him for not going back with the old band?

Except

So, you think people opinions/way of thinking cant change after 15+ years? :laugh:

So using history as a gauge to judge someone by is bad? Basing it on assumption and dismissing a pattern is good?

Except

So using history as a gauge to judge someone by is bad? Basing it on assumption and dismissing a pattern is good?

In his speech inducting Elton in 1994 (18 years ago, the only time he was ever there) he stated that he DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE ROCK N' ROLL HALL OF FAME, that he DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT WAS ABOUT. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the institution or an expression of a belief in it.

He went simply because it was an event honoring his hero, and performed in tribute of his hero being inducted. I guess in 1994 to him it wasn't much different than any other award ceremony. Maybe once he realized that the expectation of him was to reunite at the Hall of Fame, both on the part of the fans, and possibly on the part of the committee themselves (who knows), he realized it wasn't something that he stood for, or that he agreed that.

No impact. Without looking it up I couldn't tell you a single band/person that has been inducted into the RRHOF the past 10 years, aside from the 2012 class. The RRHOF ceremony is not particularly relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Roger Waters and Paul McCartney didn't show up either, based upon the fact that they thought it would be disingenuous to show up and pretend to be friends with their former bandmates. Axl's decision was based on him feeling that the RRHOF was trying to use him and back him into a corner where he would "have to" play with the old band, so that they could claim they were the catalyst for a GnR "reunion," something which Axl has stated ad nauseum he is not interested in being a part of. Between that and his personal animosity toward Slash, he didn't want to go.

Not sure how that really impacted or changed anything. It just reinforced things we've already known for years.

No. I was pissed off because it's probably the most selfish thing he's EVER done....ever. I understand his feelings and why he didn't want to go. But sometimes, you eat your feelings if it'll bring joy to others and there were millions upon millions of people out there who have waited a lifetime to see something like and he just didn't care. So yeah, I was pissed.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is. I still like Axl's music.