Did Axl not attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony change your view of the current lineup?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Did Axl not attending the Hall of Fame Ceremony change your view of the current lineup?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It doesn't affect my support of Axl's new ventures (if he ever has any). It's completely his right to decide if he wanted to go or not. But waiting until the last minute and releasing a long, rambling statement where he again plays the victim was a little much for me.

All it looks like currently is that he wants to go on forever playing the old songs, just not with the old band. Again, that's his right but it seems a little silly.

Edited by Bards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl has presented at the Hall of Fame. Axl has performed at the Hall of Fame. Axl has spent time backstage at the Hall of Fame. Axl has called the HOF an "honor." In addition Axl has accepted even more obsurd awards like the MTV Video Vangaurd award.

Anyway, back on topic, no it hasn't changed my mind of the current lineup and Axl didn't proove a damn thing but not showing.

And the award for best post of the topic goes to sonofabitch.

It didn't change my mind, but then I wasn't plugged into the GNR goings on at the time, I'd long ago stopped following the band. When Axl's letter was released to the media, and I learned of the induction, I thought same old, same old. He can do whatever he wants, but the whole thing has become sad and pitiful to me. Sixteen years, and for what? This? They could have been a legacy band. When I see bands that came after them, like Pearl Jam and Radiohead, surpass them in relevancy and status, it drives home what a waste these years have been.

Not really, I mean it was pretty clear even in 2002 how Axl felt regarding the old lineup and what he is committed to, him not showing up at the HOF wasn't surprising at all

exactly :thumbsup:

I was all for the way things were turning out and was cool with everyone's decisions, until I was watching the performance and thought "This would actually be really fucking cool with Axl singing"

If GNR were to get back together, the answer would be "yes, they still have it", but even Adler's given up the ghost. I think the only thing is for Slash and Axl to mend fences, but that's more for their own personal closure. And just from what Slash and Axl have said in interviews, they sound like they both want closure, but won't make the move to get together.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems after the Hall of Fame Ceremony came and went, things became tense around here among the fans.

In the back of my mind, I supported the current lineup with the idea that, at some point, Axl would at the very least accept his Hall of Fame Induction with the original lineup. Since he's refused the induction, my support has waned.

Anyone else feel the same?

What fucking award show makes you pay 5 figures for a table? The Rock Hall, that's who. I doubt anyone who gets a Nobel Prize has to pay for their own table. Axl can pat himself on the back for free.

The award show is mostly meant for people like Wanda Jackson or Laura Nyro, people who get lost over time that factored in to rock history. But Leonard Cohen got one? He's NEVER played rock music, and I'm a big fan of his.

Axl was thoughtful in his letter, and he respectfully declined attending. Lydon (as Rotten) was more snarky about it, but as a Sex Pistol, why would he, Jonesy, and Cook go when it goes against everything the Pistols stood for? Lydon presented Kate Bush with an award, and if PiL were presented with some achievement award, he'd go. But the Pistols are rebels. Even as old men, they'd be curmudgeon rebels.

"I was keen to go to (the dinner) and pick up my award, but after 20 years the Beatles still have some business differences which I had hoped would have been settled by now. Unfortunately, they haven't been (settled), so I would feel like a complete hypocrite waving and smiling with (Harrison and Starr) at a fake reunion." - Paul McCartney

No different than what Axl did. Axl didn't want to be a hypocrite being on stage with Slash, pretending everything is okay when they still have differences that have yet to be ironed out.

You might not like it, but you have to respect it.

But what about the countless names of people who have never received a Rock Hall induction? How about Axl's first tattoo, the one he wanted Phil Lynott to see? WHERE THE FUCK IS THIN LIZZY? How can Thin Lizzy not be inducted?

Well said! :thumbsup:

You have good taste in music, Leonard Cohen is great IMO too.

Axl participated in the HOF before.........so did he not have integrity then?

And pretty much every major living rock star has performed or been part of the show. If not performing means that Axl is Mr. Integrity, that means you guys feel that all the people who have accepted the award are sell outs with no integrity? Just weird that u never saw all the hatred towards the HOF until Axl decided he didn't like it. Were you people outraged when Axl participated a few years back???????? I guess unless you guys are complete hypocrites, you bashed Axl's decision back then, and you have lost respect for all the musicians who have participated.

Aren't the seats/tables sold specifically to raise money so there can be a RnR HOF for fans to go and enjoy?

Edited by Groghan

Axl participated in the HOF before.........so did he not have integrity then?

And pretty much every major living rock star has performed or been part of the show. If not performing means that Axl is Mr. Integrity, that means you guys feel that all the people who have accepted the award are sell outs with no integrity? Just weird that u never saw all the hatred towards the HOF until Axl decided he didn't like it. Were you people outraged when Axl participated a few years back???????? I guess unless you guys are complete hypocrites, you bashed Axl's decision back then, and you have lost respect for all the musicians who have participated.

Aren't the seats/tables sold specifically to raise money so there can be a RnR HOF for fans to go and enjoy?

I just don't get why people who are the guest of honor have to PAY to attend an award ceremony. A lot of times, record company heads cover the cost if someone can't afford to go.

To keep a museum in Cleveland open? They shouldn't have opened it there if they weren't sure it was going to bring money in. That was Wenner's decision. He can afford to pay out of pocket for that museum. Record companies can allocate a few bucks to the Rock Hall if keeping it open is that important to them. Time Life has all sorts of Rock Hall-related stuff, they could do the same with those infomercials.

I think anyone who gets an award should go for free and have the hotel costs covered. If they're bringing a band, the crew should be covered, but it's scaled down, bare bones, and should just be a small handful of people. I think between sponsors, people who are members of the Rock Hall and pay their fees every year, and concert tickets, that shouldn't suffice. Making the guest of honor pay for a show in their honor is stupid.

"I was keen to go to (the dinner) and pick up my award, but after 20 years the Beatles still have some business differences which I had hoped would have been settled by now. Unfortunately, they haven't been (settled), so I would feel like a complete hypocrite waving and smiling with (Harrison and Starr) at a fake reunion." - Paul McCartney

You would have a point if that was what Axl had said instead of taking jabs at everyone like a child throwing a tantrum.....I respect his right not to go just not the way he did it..........

I agree. If Axl had come out two days after the announcement and made a statement like this, nobody would have cared that he wasn't going. He didn't do himself any favors by not announcing he wasn't going until a day or two before the event. Plus he seemed enthused about it early on and Dizzy came out and said they were all going. Had Axl debunked the notion of going at that point, again, people probably would have felt differently.

On topic though, no, it didn't change my views. It was just Axl being Axl as always and not totally unexpected.

I think I might have said this earlier in this thread, but since it has been bumped and I can't bother to read back: Axl's completely personal decision to not attend does not affect his band mates and the overall lineup at all. In regards to Axl, his decision to stand by his convictions made me respect him slightly more.

I see no correlation between an award show celebrating the accomplishments of a previous lineup and the current lineup.

It's not really a current and previous lineup, it's Guns n' Roses and Axl's band. :shrugs:

Whatever! One version made the name great and is known worldwide for CREATING a bunch of awseome music, while the other version is not really known, excpet for covering the others versions music. So until we can say the same about both, then yes, they are two VERY different bands

Edited by fabrph5

GNR HAVE TO REUNITE! Original Lineup, I do not care who is making the money! Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Axl..... Put your differences aside... go on tour DO IT FOR THE MONEY!!!! I could care less about band politics, just play some shows!

They can't put differences aside. They make money without having to deal with each other, but everyone has a number they'll whore out at.

Axl not attending the RRHOF was the best decision he could make if he was not going to reunite with the old line-up. If he went and played with his band, people would bitch. If he went, played with the old band, and didn't reunite with the old band, people would bitch. If he showed up, but didn't play, people would bitch. The ONLY way people would've been satisfied with Axl Rose being there is if he outright announced he was reuniting with the old band. I think that's why Axl didn't show up, because he may have thought the whole thing was just a platform for the RRHOF to force Axl and Slash to talk again.

And after it was announced that Axl and Izzy were not showing up, Guns N' Roses weren't the headliners anymore, their names were even taken of the list of inductees for some time. It seemed like they didn't care anymore about the induction, because the only thing they cared about was a reunion. The Paul McCartney quote says it all, just like how Paul wasn't going to reunite for a fake reunion, Axl wasn't going to do the same. Both Axl and Slash will have the mutually respect eachother, and even be friends again for a reunion to work. The fact is, Axl hasn't spoken to Slash in nealry 20 years, and vice versa. Just because there's a establishment that says they have to reunite to be inducted isn't going to force Axl to do so. And I think the reason Izzy wasn't there was because Axl wasn't there (it didn't really matter anymore) and because he probably didn't want to be involved in all the shit again. Him reuniting with Axl in London shows you where his priority is. He want's to play with his long-time friend than be in the middle of a feud between two people.

But, basically the RRHOF is over. They were inducted, and it's all that should be said about it. Axl and Izzy didn't show, and the rest of the band played a killer set. I think people that linger on, or continue to paint Axl in a negative light about this should look at it this way. Axl didn't want to go to a place where he probably felt forced to attend only to see somebody who he has made clear multiple times that he doesn't want to see anymore. I know there's this "do it for the fans" mentality. But, I don't know who would want to be with somebody who they don't like. I would've hated to see both Axl and Slash forced to reunite, even for one night.

Axl not attending the RRHOF was the best decision he could make if he was not going to reunite with the old line-up. If he went and played with his band, people would bitch. If he went, played with the old band, and didn't reunite with the old band, people would bitch. If he showed up, but didn't play, people would bitch. The ONLY way people would've been satisfied with Axl Rose being there is if he outright announced he was reuniting with the old band. I think that's why Axl didn't show up, because he may have thought the whole thing was just a platform for the RRHOF to force Axl and Slash to talk again.

And after it was announced that Axl and Izzy were not showing up, Guns N' Roses weren't the headliners anymore, their names were even taken of the list of inductees for some time. It seemed like they didn't care anymore about the induction, because the only thing they cared about was a reunion. The Paul McCartney quote says it all, just like how Paul wasn't going to reunite for a fake reunion, Axl wasn't going to do the same. Both Axl and Slash will have the mutually respect eachother, and even be friends again for a reunion to work. The fact is, Axl hasn't spoken to Slash in nealry 20 years, and vice versa. Just because there's a establishment that says they have to reunite to be inducted isn't going to force Axl to do so. And I think the reason Izzy wasn't there was because Axl wasn't there (it didn't really matter anymore) and because he probably didn't want to be involved in all the shit again. Him reuniting with Axl in London shows you where his priority is. He want's to play with his long-time friend than be in the middle of a feud between two people.

But, basically the RRHOF is over. They were inducted, and it's all that should be said about it. Axl and Izzy didn't show, and the rest of the band played a killer set. I think people that linger on, or continue to paint Axl in a negative light about this should look at it this way. Axl didn't want to go to a place where he probably felt forced to attend only to see somebody who he has made clear multiple times that he doesn't want to see anymore. I know there's this "do it for the fans" mentality. But, I don't know who would want to be with somebody who they don't like. I would've hated to see both Axl and Slash forced to reunite, even for one night.

Even though the Rock Hall's over, it's still going to be discussed in the future when it comes to anyone who decided not to reunite and/or not show up.

I think it's important for us to point out Axl wasn't the only no-show that night, and not the only one who didn't feel it was in his best interest to not go. Everyone past and present has their reasons for going or not going.

Axl didn't want to send anyone in his place, or bad mouth the Rock Hall. He wrote the letter to them and respectfully declined.

Most of them have kept in touch with each other.

It didn't change anything, regarding my view of the current lineup. It made me respect Axl a lot more, and I was giving up here, all in all I thought he handled it really well considering the position he was in.

Voted for YES - I now like the current lineup more.

Only because there was no positive spin on NO.

Personally I don't care much for Slashs music or Axls new guns & music. I mostly come here to read others thoughts and see what is going on in the world of Guns, can't remember the last time I listened to them...new or old :(

a BIG YES,but i dont hate new GNR members,the big problem and the big boss is Axl Rose,after HOF i dont see him like the last rock star, i think he just fucked up the whole thing.And if you add that he is singing WORST than ever,you have a BIG i dont care about this lineup.

a BIG YES,but i dont hate new GNR members,the big problem and the big boss is Axl Rose,after HOF i dont see him like the last rock star, i think he just fucked up the whole thing.And if you add that he is singing WORST than ever,you have a BIG i dont care about this lineup.

In what way did Axl fuck up? He didn't feel it was in his best interest to go. Rock Hall is that big of a deal? It's a museum in Cleveland that Wenner came up with 30 years ago, and took a decade to build. Who the hell wants to go to Cleveland on their time off, to see the same shit you'd see at a Hard Rock Cafe?

Maybe Axl will do something for the Rock Hall, but he'll do it his way.