The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

One of the best things about the movie is the torture scene. Completely modernized version of the Goldfinger "lazer table".

Indeed it was a great scene, but did I miss something or does Bond show no side effects from getting prodded several times? He escapes pretty easily right afterwards.

One of the best things about the movie is the torture scene. Completely modernized version of the Goldfinger "lazer table".

Indeed it was a great scene, but did I miss something or does Bond show no side effects from getting prodded several times? He escapes pretty easily right afterwards.

I could be wrong but this is my analysis of the torture. I feel like the first prod was kind of like a "warning" prod - painful, but not hitting anything vital. The one where Blofeld warned him that he'd forget about Madeline was, I think, supposed to inflict so much pain that his mind would be too focused on that and he'd forget his surroundings. Therefore, the final prod would kill him and he'd die having forgotten Madeline because his brain would still be absorbing the pain from the previous infliction. Of course, Craig is tough as fuck so he's able to see past the pain. And of course, Blofeld doesn't succeed because time flies. ;)

''Butthurt Brosnan fans'' haha. Do they exist, sprouting things like ''Die Another Day wos underrated''?

Oh yeah, they defend that too. Die Another Day almost ruined the franchise. They get so hurt by that comment.

To be fair Goldeneye basically saved the franchise, but I don't get how anyone can actually defense that piece of shit DAD. I wasn't a big fan of Spectre's third act, but it blew the fucking shit out of DAD's...

I'd rather watch The Room than Die Another Day...

Here's a list of every reference or homage in SPECTRE - I knew there were a lot, but there's plenty I didn't catch:

http://www.thebondbulletin.com/the-bond-references-in-spectre

That's a great list there and includes the couple I mentioned previously. There's plenty that I didn't catch but I do feel like some are a bit of a stretch. How is Bond telling a security guard to "stay" a direct homage to Bond telling the tiger in Octopussy to sit? I did catch many of the Dr. No references though. I seriously can't wait to watch this movie again.

Hard to separate the real references to the ones people seem to have made up. Is Blofeld setting the timer to 3 minutes really a "reference" to Trevelyan in Goldeneye, or just a coincidence?

Indeed. Some of them are only one step away from "he says Bond, James Bond in this movie, just like he does in every other movie."

That list is just overthinking.

I could be wrong but this is my analysis of the torture. I feel like the first prod was kind of like a "warning" prod - painful, but not hitting anything vital. The one where Blofeld warned him that he'd forget about Madeline was, I think, supposed to inflict so much pain that his mind would be too focused on that and he'd forget his surroundings. Therefore, the final prod would kill him and he'd die having forgotten Madeline because his brain would still be absorbing the pain from the previous infliction. Of course, Craig is tough as fuck so he's able to see past the pain. And of course, Blofeld doesn't succeed because time flies. ;)

I don't remember what the second prod was hitting but it sounded important.

Not sure which I would prefer. Knotted rope to the groin or that machine.

I never wanted to say it, but when it comes to the lukewarm reception we should have been expecting it. There's always going to be something the critics and fans will pick apart after the success of Skyfall and the rewrites and the film's budget ballooning to almost $300 million. No wonder they much marketing.

I doubt it will hit $1 billion.

It hasn't even beaten Skyfall's opening weekend in the US.

Knotted rope or machine, I just don't want to be Craig's Bond. The poor soul. :lol:

I never wanted to say it, but when it comes to the lukewarm reception we should have been expecting it. There's always going to be something the critics and fans will pick apart after the success of Skyfall and the rewrites and the film's budget ballooning to almost $300 million. No wonder they much marketing.

I doubt it will hit $1 billion.

It hasn't even beaten Skyfall's opening weekend in the US.

It's going to be the film that critics love to hate just because it's not Skyfall. Everybody jumped on the Bond bandwagon in 2012 and there was less competition. This year everybody is talking about Star Wars and Jurassic World. The overall gross so far is $296.1 Million so it's certainly not doing badly. I'm guessing somewhere around the $800 Million mark for the final. It seems fans are really digging the film so positive word of mouth should help it along.

Regardless, critics will consider it a flop just because it didn't do as well as Skyfall. The irony is that other studios would kill for those numbers.

It's suffering from Interstellar/Dark Knight Rises syndrome from critics. The people doing most of the complaining are comparing it to different films/based upon their own expectations and not judging it solely on it's own merits.

The reviews have been fairly good from more of the mainstream media than not. I liked it, it's not one of my favorite Bond films. However anyone who seriously compares this to Die Another Day/Quantum of Solace is impossible to take seriously.

After thinking about it I bet the movie was originally going to end with Bond blowing up the Spectre fortress and escaping. Then you'd get some scenes explaining how C was caught, the 00 program gets reinstated, Blofeld escaped, Hinx is still alive, Bond gets the girl, etc. Then you get a direct or semi-direct sequel for Bond 25 (which brings about its own celebrations) and Craig gives up the role afterwards.

But the Sony execs probably didn't think that was good enough so they made them add the ending we got.

Also, after reviewing a "slightly" poorer quality version of the film, most of my hangups about the film still stand. It's too long (both the length and the pacing of the film contribute), the plotholes are pretty significant and the ending belongs in a fucking Marvel movie, not a Bond one. Not to mention the theme sounded even worse, which doesn't surprise me at all :lol:

However, the rest of the movie is about a perfect as can be. I still can't believe critics were bitching that this felt like a campy Moore movie...Bond is more cold-blooded here than any of Craig's or Dalton's movies, let alone Moore :lol:

If I had to rank it after two viewings, I'd move it up to the 10-15 range, probably around 12 or so right now.

Edited by Crazyman

After thinking about it I bet the movie was originally going to end with Bond blowing up the Spectre fortress and escaping. Then you'd get some scenes explaining how C was caught, the 00 program gets reinstated, Blofeld escaped, Hinx is still alive, Bond gets the girl, etc. Then you get a direct or semi-direct sequel for Bond 25 (which brings about its own celebrations) and Craig gives up the role afterwards.

But the Sony execs probably didn't think that was good enough so they made them add the ending we got.

Also, after reviewing a "slightly" poorer quality version of the film, most of my hangups about the film still stand. It's too long (both the length and the pacing of the film contribute), the plotholes are pretty significant and the ending belongs in a fucking Marvel movie, not a Bond one. Not to mention the theme sounded even worse, which doesn't surprise me at all :lol:

However, the rest of the movie is about a perfect as can be. I still can't believe critics were bitching that this felt like a campy Moore movie...Bond is more cold-blooded here than any of Craig's or Dalton's movies, let alone Moore :lol:

If I had to rank it after two viewings, I'd move it up to the 10-15 range, probably around 12 or so right now.

There are a few laughs at various points, to some people that equals Moore! :facepalm:

What changes were made to the script? Does anyone know?

Blofeld was at different points either and African warlord or an ugly lesbian. Irma Bunt was in early drafts. That's about all I've gathered. Still looking for the leaked script - if I manage to find it I'll share the wealth :book:

There are a few laughs at various points, to some people that equals Moore! :facepalm:

Bond made a joke. THAT BELONGS IN MOORE MOVIES FFS.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what remained and what some of the original intentions were.

The whole thing has me thinking of Bond 25 as well and what they might carry over in terms of ideas from this script, especially if it's true that originally John Logan conceived the movie as a two part process. I think it's safe to say that Madeline Swann won't make it past the pre-titles. Maybe Irma Bunt will find her way into the film too (and the OHMSS theme for that matter since I was so hoping for that this time).

I do so hope Waltz is back for Bond 25 to finally have some continuity with Blofeld, but at the same time they're probably safe to recast if they borrow the plastic surgery stuff from the novels. I hope not though. Keep him looking like he did in SPECTRE and take off from there.

If Mendes doesn't come back (I won't rule him out yet though) then that probably means Newman is also out. If they call back David Arnold I can almost guarantee the OHMSS theme will be featured.

Why y'all want Madeline dead so much? Bond can't catch a break.

Because OHMSS reboot.

It's weird. Like, it's somehow pleasing to see a great Bond girls end up dead. There's been a few where Bond really thinks she might be the one, but then she's taken away from him. It's incredibly heart-wrenching every time, but also incredibly satisfying to watch somehow.

• Like 1

Yeah, you get emotionally involved. Sometimes the chick isn't just a throw away. They tried to do this with Paris Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies, but Teri Hatcher and Pierce Brosnan just didn't get on. She was too much of a diva. They try to make her to be some old love interest, someone Bond really cared about. But we don't see it. They hated her at the test screening so they cut her role short.

Why y'all want Madeline dead so much? Bond can't catch a break.

Because OHMSS reboot.

It's weird. Like, it's somehow pleasing to see a great Bond girls end up dead. There's been a few where Bond really thinks she might be the one, but then she's taken away from him. It's incredibly heart-wrenching every time, but also incredibly satisfying to watch somehow.

My worry is that if Madeline gets killed we end up with Bond being in the same place as QoS again, it would feel a bit repetitive