A song that sounds like The General intro

Twinaleblood

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

So the intro to the General is 4 minutes long ? ehm...

Yeah, I was thinking the same. What the hell? It's a quite boring intro too. If it ever comes out on any album, it better be a separate track, or nobody will ever want to listen to that song.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. What the hell? It's a quite boring intro too. If it ever comes out on any album, it better be a separate track, or nobody will ever want to listen to that song.

I'd imagine it is one of the many layers of the song. Not the whole song itself...

Yes, from Rio 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnS6LJET7jM&list=UUfd-iRX8stbHJqZ9yhMsf-Q&index=4&feature=plcp

Information from the video above:

New The General version.

Rock in Rio IV bootleg.

Some people are having trouble to understand... THIS IS JUST THE INTRO FOR THE GENERAL! This is not the whole song, this is just the intro of The General, which was used as an intro for the GNR's concerts in the last 6 years.

Although the longest version avaiable is from the concert in Hungary in 2006, this is the new version of the intro, being used since Rock in Rio IV.

On most concerts from 2006 to 2010 Guns N' Roses legendary song "The General" intro was used as the intro for the concerts. It was written by Guns N' Roses mainly by Brian Mantia and the orchestra is made by Marco Beltrami.

The following information regarding this song was collected by GNR-Evolution:

"[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

"Leave Me Alone," "Seven," and "The General" could also feature on the new album. These three A-listed songs were worked on by Marco Beltrami, especially "Seven," which Marco deems as the best of the three songs. It has also been reported that Marco worked on a fourth track, "Thyme." However, this song was not worked on subsequent to Marco's work in October 2002. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at website, 06/05)

"umm... I don't know... last year Brain had this song called 'the General' that was really cool... and another song called "we were lying [not sure if thats the name he said]" ... I don't know [...]" (Dizzy Reed, Sp1at, January 2006)

"One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

"[bach] says Rose told him that a slow, grinding track called 'The General' is 'the sequel to [use Your Illusion II's] 'Estranged,' that goes to the parable that Del James wrote of the trilogy' (James penned the short story that inspired the 'November Rain' video)." (Rolling Stone, 06/25/08)

Q: Axl, here's a list of rumored song titles. Can you tell us which ones are bogus and which ones are real?

Ides Of March ('98), Oklahoma ('98), Atlas Shrugged ('99), Closing In On You ('99), Cock-A-Roach Soup ('99), Friend Or Foe ('99), Hearts Get Killed ('99), No Love Remains ('99), Oh My God ('99), Something Always ('99), Suckerpunched ('99), Zip It ('99), Silkworms ('00), Down By The Ocean ('01), Leave Me Alone ('02), Seven ('02), The General ('02), Thyme ('02), Quick Song ('05), Zodiac ('05), Motormouth ('06), We Were Lying ('06)

A: Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

Q: Could you tells us more about "The General"?

A: You may have heard parts of it somewhere.

(Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

Q: @gunsnroses PLEASE! what's the name of the intro u guys use live? It's amazing!!!

A: there are several.. "the General" is probably most played before CD

(twitter.com/gunsnroses, Dec. 2010)

Edited by ManetsBR

Yep, same here. It's boring.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have to tour intro in soundboard quality?

Bump.

Thanks Evader!

Anyway, General's riff come from this masterpiece :

Always been confused/curious about the General. This is something that GNR created, right? If so, who was involved/when was this created?

It's nice to see people on this forum speculating about GNR stuff that actually matters the NEW MUSIC!!! Haha anyways, yeah we need to go detective mode and figure out more facts about all this legendary unreleased material, it's been to long since I had that feeling of joy with GNR of whats to come. We have been in a all time stagnant period in my opinion, let's do what we can to change that at least!

btw I have been wanting to hear The General and Atlas for soooo long lol, I really fancy the epic stuff.

Edited by amacfantasy