Rolling Stones 50th thread

dalsh327

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!

Rolling Stones: One More Shot, review

The new Rolling Stones song One More Shot is dirty, swaggering and perfectly Stonesy, writes Neil McCormick.

Two new songs in seven years might not suggest the Rolling Stones are the hardest working band in showbusiness but at least when they do get it together in the studio they still sound like they really believe they are the world’s greatest.

Previewed on BBC 6 Music this morning, One More Shot is the second new recording from the Stones's recent Paris sessions, following last month’s release of Doom & Gloom. Both were recorded for inclusion on a 50th anniversary hits compilation, GRRR!, out next week, and it’s a relief to report that they won’t sound out of place amongst the veteran band’s many classic hits.

Doom & Gloom had a quality of attack about it, an energised, up-tempo blues with a vaguely political lyric, hinting at the Stones's Sixties incarnation as a band who surfed a spirit of generational dissatisfaction, even if the generation they are addressing probably worry more about pensions than revolution. That was essentially a Jagger song, he and Richards's "Glimmer Twins" songwriting partnership long since having divided along Lennon-McCartney lines, so that one takes the lead role while the other may fill in the spaces. Now Keith Richards gets his chance to remind us why the band have held a place in our affections for so long. Where Jagger’s fast, hard blues reminded us of the Stones's rock attack, Keith’s all about the roll.

The riff that kicks it all off and drives right through is reassuringly familiar, another classic variation of the kind of thing the Stones have been playing for half a century. If you could bottle that dirty, swaggering, lazy, slightly delayed rhythm guitar part you could market it as the very essence of Richards, the warm stink of gyspy outlaw rock’n’roll bravado, eau du Keef. It’s a little bit Jumping Jack Flash and a little bit Start It Up, driven along by Charlie Watts simple but swinging beat, just that micro-fraction behind where you might expect it to be.

“Ooh ooh baby I got a message for you,” Jagger drawls, no longer trying to show his intellect by addressing the political concerns of the day but just giving us some of ripe old bluesy lechery, like a somewhat sleeker Howlin’ Wolf still chasing round back doors. It’s a great vocal and all the better for being mixed just slightly low, so that it sits in the groove with the band.

One More Shot isn’t trying to express anything more than what it says on the tin: we’re good at what we do, so let’s do it again. It lifts up into a twiddly, silvery country inflected solo from Ronnie Wood, with Richards still slashing away behind him. And then comes one moment when the song confidently diverts from type, surprising us with a bit of comical musical interplay, a lovely middle eight with Jagger and Richards duetting some kind of phonetic nonsense, “ababababababa” – the sound Keith probably makes when he’s first gurgling over his acoustic guitar, trying to conceive a lyric. This progresses to some judiciously placed “na na nahs” and then Richards gets his chance to plead for one more shot from the background. It’s not big, it’s not clever, it’s just perfectly Stonesy, a bunch of great musicians in the studio rocking out for the sheer joy of it.

On the basis of this, I’d certainly be prepared to give the old boys one more shot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rolling-stones/9663741/Rolling-Stones-One-More-Shot-review.html

Guest Len B'stard

Looks more and more like i ain't gonna fuckin' get a chance to go. Oh well, trying fuckin' everywhere, numerous websites, fuckin' gumtree, anything.

BTW, anybody on here got a London ticket going spare i'll pay ya handsomely for it, as long as it's standing though, i ain't fuckin' having none of that seated bollocks, can you imagine watching a band like The Stones sitting down, fuck me, try ripping the seats out and launching em more like :lol:

Brooklyn gig announced for December 8th. Prices are roughly the same as Newark.

You and BS trying for tickets?

Any chance of an airport pickup?

I am, haven't talked to BS about it yet. You're thinking of flying in if you get tickets? If so, we could probably pick you up, yea. If you flew in to Newark, it would be exponentially easier than JFK or Laguardia though ;)

Looks more and more like i ain't gonna fuckin' get a chance to go. Oh well, trying fuckin' everywhere, numerous websites, fuckin' gumtree, anything.

BTW, anybody on here got a London ticket going spare i'll pay ya handsomely for it, as long as it's standing though, i ain't fuckin' having none of that seated bollocks, can you imagine watching a band like The Stones sitting down, fuck me, try ripping the seats out and launching em more like :lol:

The only standing tickets are those just next to the stage, everything else is seated, and those go for prices in the thousands at the moment.

Guest Len B'stard

You know what i mean though! When the NUH NUH!!! Nana-NUH, Nana-NUH!! of Jumpin' Jack Flash kicks in do you really wanna be sitting on your fanny adams with a program in your lap gently applauding by tapping your palm with three fingers? :lol:

Brooklyn gig announced for December 8th. Prices are roughly the same as Newark.

You and BS trying for tickets?

Any chance of an airport pickup?

I am, haven't talked to BS about it yet. You're thinking of flying in if you get tickets? If so, we could probably pick you up, yea. If you flew in to Newark, it would be exponentially easier than JFK or Laguardia though ;)

I'm going to try.

Amex presale Wed., but I don't think I'll be able to access it due to work, (unless I wangle something).

Which means general sales Mon.

Which means I expect this to go the way the Jersey shows went. :tongue2: