Rolling Stones 50th thread

dalsh327

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First O2 show today! I've decided to ditch going spoiler free for 2 reasons. First - they never do a static setlist anyways so the Brooklyn gig will certainly be different than the other 4. Second, they're going to do live blogging on their Twitter page...no way I can avoid that without either staying off Twitter or to stop following their page (Not happening, since they're posting plenty of important stuff surrounding the gigs).

Setlist so far:

I Wanna Be Your Man

Get Off My Cloud

It's All Over Now

Paint It Black

Gimme Shelter (w/ Mary J. Blige)

Wild Horses

All Down The Line (w/ Jeff Beck)

Going Down (w/ Jeff Beck)

Out Of Control

One More Shot

Doom & Gloom

It's Only Rock N' Roll (w/ Bill Wyman)

Honky Tonk Women (w/ Bill Wyman)

Before They Make Me Run

Happy

Midnight Rambler (w/ Mick Taylor)

Miss You

Start Me Up

Tumbling Dice

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For The Devil

---

You Can't Always Get What You Want (w/ full choir)

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Guest Len B'stard

Gonna sound like a ridiculous thing to say but it's very difficult to enjoy The Rolling Stones when you see how remote it is that they want to remain from anything that might have some sort of meaning for you. £1,000 tickets, really? Might as well not bother listening to a band like that. Shame cuz i actually really grew to like em eventually but like...it just goes back to those punk ideals again, it's amazing how right i got it the first time :lol:

It's the self awareness that gets me, the arrogance of knowing ones worth and then exploiting it for the maximum amount of money at the expense of a necessary component of the musical expierience i.e. the fucking audience. How can i listen to a Stones album they release now and really get my rocks off to it? It just makes the entire enterprise seem totally hollow, it's casts a shadow of cynicism over everything they do now, it's like, OK, new album, look, a bluesy number, ooooh, I can see what thats doing there. Look, an accoustic ballad, they're going for the Angie demographic, very shrewd, very shrewd. This is sounding slightly ridiculous to me even as I type it, suffice to say The Stones reunion is an establishment party.

Come all your bankers and accountants, rock n roll has come-a knockin' again :rolleyes:

Gonna sound like a ridiculous thing to say but it's very difficult to enjoy The Rolling Stones when you see how remote it is that they want to remain from anything that might have some sort of meaning for you. £1,000 tickets, really? Might as well not bother listening to a band like that. Shame cuz i actually really grew to like em eventually but like...it just goes back to those punk ideals again, it's amazing how right i got it the first time :lol:

It's the self awareness that gets me, the arrogance of knowing ones worth and then exploiting it for the maximum amount of money at the expense of a necessary component of the musical expierience i.e. the fucking audience. How can i listen to a Stones album they release now and really get my rocks off to it? It just makes the entire enterprise seem totally hollow, it's casts a shadow of cynicism over everything they do now, it's like, OK, new album, look, a bluesy number, ooooh, I can see what thats doing there. Look, an accoustic ballad, they're going for the Angie demographic, very shrewd, very shrewd. This is sounding slightly ridiculous to me even as I type it, suffice to say The Stones reunion is an establishment party.

Come all your bankers and accountants, rock n roll has come-a knockin' again :rolleyes:

They've always been arrogant and cynical though, haven't they? It's something you take as given.

Guest Len B'stard

They've always been arrogant and cynical though, haven't they? It's something you take as given.

Exactly, it's just my fan-dom for them has come about between their forays into touring so i never really was exposed to that aspect until recently although i was aware that their ticket prices are high and that they are not exactly a fan friendly band at the best of times but this is slightly ridiculous and it goes to show that, actually, my prior assertions and understanding of this band, despite being based on slightly less knowledge of them than i have now, was quite astute.

Len, what you're talking about is the reason I stopped going to Stones tours after '94, (except that special SARS concert in Toronto).

Paying the ticket prices they wanted for each consecutive tour just left me with a fuck this shit vibe.

It waas like the time I was standing in a ticket office in the early 80's, looking at a seating map for the Clash in an outdoor stadium.

My friends and I just looked at each other, without saying a word we all walked away, the vibe was just clear that the whole thing was wrong!

I'll make an exception for the Stones on this tour (if they continue) just because I believe this will really be the last one.

Even so, I'll only spend so much, if I don't get in...oh well (they can't top July 4, 1978 for me now anyway). :tongue2:

I think Keith and Ronnie are the only ones that enjoy doing Stones concerts more than Mick and Charlie, and why it's still going. Mick enjoys the limelight, it's not the money, but they're going to push it as far as they can go when it comes to that. I'm sure they hire consultants to see how far they can go in charging the audience, and if people were willing to pay a scalper hundreds to thousands, then why shouldn't the band just charge that?

I do think it excludes a lot of fans from seeing them, and maybe they'll do a free one (or a festival show where the crowd isn't just there for the Stones) before calling it a day.

Even if this isn't the last time, it's hard to say if they'll be any good in coming years, and whether you'll ever see Wyman and Taylor on stage with them after these 4-5 shows. I think Mick and Keith just assessed things in rehearsals, and could've easily just said they're not up to par.

They prob. made "Shine a Light" in case that was going to be it for them at the time, but I guess with the reissues and mending fences over Keef's book and with Mick Taylor, they're getting along better than they prob. thought.

Now they can take it easy (baby steps with booking additional shows next year), have fun with it, and whatever happens, happens. They gave the fans some vault stuff from the band in their prime, some never before seen stuff, a couple of documentaries, some new music,and some new shows where the setlist is prob. going to be fairly different each night. There's prob. some people going to all the shows.

Guest Len B'stard

Well it is Jagger, isn't it? He is the one with an eye on the pounds and pence.

And that makes it alright, does it? So basically, i'm supposed to just accept that, am i, thats supposed to make it alright, it's like, well Jaggers like that, you should expect to get ripped off, so to be a Stones fan means i have to be the mug, willingly and happily in this situation? Well i'm sorry but fuck that.

Len, what you're talking about is the reason I stopped going to Stones tours after '94, (except that special SARS concert in Toronto).

Paying the ticket prices they wanted for each consecutive tour just left me with a fuck this shit vibe.

It waas like the time I was standing in a ticket office in the early 80's, looking at a seaing map for the Clash in an outdoor stadium.

My friends and I just looked at each other, without saying a word we all walked away, the vibe was just clear that the whole thing was wrong!

I'll make an exceptiong for the Stones on this tour (if they continue) just because I believe this will really be the last one.

Even so, I'll only spend so much, if I don't get in...oh well (they can't top July 4, 1978 for me now anyway). :tongue2:

Whats beautiful about The Clash is that thats the reason they broke up, the fact that they got that big and had trouble reconciling that with...who they were and what they were meant to be about. I totally understand what you mean though, that would be totally wrong for The Clash and i think they knew it and felt it.

But like, this is The Clash here, the band that sold triple albums for a fiver for the fans, at the expense of their own royalties to ensure that they were in the red to the record company for their entire existence, fuck me, Strummer was doing interviews and national tv whilst still living in squats, the same band that extended a couple of gigs at Bonds into an entire residency to make up for the fact that greedy promoters over-sold the shows hugely, point being, they really put themselves out for their fans and not only that, Christ, this is The Clash here, they got more content, more of value in one song than entire Stones albums. Suffice to say that The Stones ain't worth the sweat off Joe Strummers brow. I know you weren't doing a comparitive thing of the two so don't take this as some sort of riposte, it's just me expanding on aspects of the topic a little.

I think Keith and Ronnie are the only ones that enjoy doing Stones concerts more than Mick and Charlie, and why it's still going. Mick enjoys the limelight, it's not the money, but they're going to push it as far as they can go when it comes to that. I'm sure they hire consultants to see how far they can go in charging the audience, and if people were willing to pay a scalper hundreds to thousands, then why shouldn't the band just charge that?

Right so, scalpers rob the fans and to combat that, The Stones are gonna rob them instead, do you not think the idea of combating scalpers is to ensure that no one gets ripped off, otherwise whats the difference, robbed by scalpers, robbed by The Stones, i'd rather be robbed by the fucking scalpers given the choice, thats some working class bloke making a living using his wits, still a cunt thing to do but it's more excusable to me than paying the extra to help heat the swimming pool at Jagger Towers for a week. Notice a reoccuring theme here, notice how it's always OK for the fans to get robbed?

Edited by sugaraylen

Hey, I agree with you. I wouldn't pay those prices. I paid about £50 for the Baylion tour. I would probably move up to the £100 mark just because it is the stones but anything over that and I am out. £400 (top official price) is sick.

But what I am saying is it is Jagger. Richards probably doesn't know what venue he is playing let alone the ticket prices. Mick has always been the one in the ticket box office after the show counting the money.

Guest Len B'stard

Hey, I agree with you. I wouldn't pay those prices. I paid about £50 for the Baylion tour. I would probably move up to the £100 mark just because it is the stones but anything over that and I am out. £400 (top official price) is sick.

But what I am saying is it is Jagger. Richards probably doesn't know what venue he is playing let alone the ticket prices. Mick has always been the one in the ticket box office after the show counting the money.

Whats sad is, i was, on the basis of "it's The Stones!", happy to fuckin' pay that kinda money if i had it but i didn't and i found myself prepared to go through all sorts of shit to get it when it occured to me that, hang on, whatever else it is, it's a fucking band...paying £1000 to go see a band, really? Thats some cunts mortgage monthly that is, £1000, really? And it just got me thinking about the whole enterprise and the aforementioned was the conclusion i reached. Shame on me for almost being a big enough mug to lay that kind of money down to see em.

The whole thing leaves a decidedly bitter taste in ones mouth, not to mention shining a different kind of light on The Stones and exactly what they're about, like i didn't know beforehand :rolleyes: Nothing ever changes, does it? No wonder punk took the legs out of these guys.