The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm working through a Great Lakes sample 12 pack, they have an insane Porter.

Then I might crack open my Woodford Reserve.

I wish it were payday so I could buy some Speyside

Oh I almost forgot! I finally got to your a few distilleries in PDX. I got a bottle from one of them but I can't decide if I should pop it open tonight or save it.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Being an alcoholic takes a lot out of you after awhile. I couldn't imagine doing it.

It took about seven nights, but tonight after drinking a sixer on the beach I just said enough. I just get worn out. Who knows? Maybe I will be hitting the rum again tomorrow but tonight I am sleeping without a buzz.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Since a lot of you seem to be bourbon drinkers... I recently attended the second largest whisk(e)y festival in the country. There was a masterclass on Jack Daniels, which featured 2 spirits (charcoal filtered and not charcoal filtered), regular JD, Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel and Tennessee Honey (which isn't actual whiskey). I remain true to my point that JD is mediocre at best and Gentleman Jack is disgusting. But I must say the Single Barrel was quite good! Nice drink! The JD distillery itself is fascinating in many ways though! We got loads of great stories and slide shows about it. The difference in the spirit before and after filtering is very noticeable and interesting too. Tennessee Honey is pretty much a poor man's Drambuie.

I also thought Woodrow's Reserve Bourbon was quite nice (one of the first bourbons I genuinely liked) and Evan Williams not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, my collection has grown lately...

Distillery bottlings, open:
Glendronach Parliament 21 years old @ 48%
Glenfarclas 15 years old @ 46%
Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1991 Double Matured @ 43%
The Balvenie Warehouse 24 Hand-filled @ 59,5% (only available at the distillery, hand-filled by me from a sherry cask)
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban @ 46% (ruby port cask)
Laphroaig 10 years old @ 40%
Independent bottlings, open:
Cadenhead Mortlach 16 years old @ 54,2%
Prenzlow Portfolio Collection Bunnahabhain 1997 @ 52,3% (peated, sherry hogshead cask)
Whisky Club Groningen Club Botteling 2012 Clynelish 14 years old @ 49,2%
Whisky Club Groningen Special Release 2012 Bunnahabhain 22 years old @ 47,8% (sherry cask)
Distillery bottlings, closed:
Bowmore Hand-filled @ 55,5% (only available at the distillery, hand-filled by me from a sherry cask)
Bruichladdich Summertime Valinch 23 years old @ 52,3% (only available at the distillery, hand-filled by me)
Glendronach Cask Strenght Batch 1 @ 54,8% (oloroso and pedro ximinez sherry casks)
Independent bottlings, closed:
The Exclusive Malts 1989 Blair Athol 23 years old @ 47,6%
Duncan & Taylor Mortlach 16 years old @ 51,3%
Duncan & Taylor Clynelish 21 years old @ 53,9%
The Ultimate Laphroaig 1998 Cash Strenght @ 60,1% (refill sherry cask)
Whisky Club Groningen Club Botteling 2013 Speyside 18 years old @ 49,7%
Edited by username

I'm working through a Great Lakes sample 12 pack, they have an insane Porter.

Then I might crack open my Woodford Reserve.

I wish it were payday so I could buy some Speyside

Oh I almost forgot! I finally got to your a few distilleries in PDX. I got a bottle from one of them but I can't decide if I should pop it open tonight or save it.

I was in PDX a few weeks ago. Made my way to The Vintage one night for some serious drinking. I went in hating tequila. I left loving it

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a .75 of Bushmills for around twenty-five bucks. Good value for the money; cheaper than Jameson and tastes better.

Irish whiskey's my favorite, followed probably by scotch.

That's a very valid opinion....IF you haven't had the right Scotch yet. ;)

I kid, but only a little. Saying something like this is like saying I like Port better than Wine. A very valid opinion in itself based on two glasses. But the scale of drinks "Scotch" represents and the difference between them is staggering. It's hard to establish a rule.

That being said, Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times. By far the most Scotch Whisky is distilled twice. The 3rd distillation really does smooth out the spirit. That being said, it's still hard to compare. Most Auchentoshan Scotch whisky for example is triple-distilled. But still differs in taste quite strongly based on cask, age etc.

I'd really like to put a lineup of 6 unnamed whisky's in front of you and see which you'd prefer though. There's be a lot of variety in the set in terms of age, country of origin and cask. :)

Which Bushmills did you have? 10? 16? Black Bush?

Edit:

I had a phenomenal tasting today of Port's, Sherry's and the whiskies that were aged on their casks. Really interesting and lovely! ^_^

Edited by username

I'm planning on buying my quasi-girlfriend (who was born in 1991) a bottle of Scotch from somewhere around here that was bottled in '91 for her birthday. Good gift? Yes, she does like whisky.

edit: here is Edinburgh

I assume you mean distilled in 1991? ;)

What's your price range? One thing that comes to mind is the Glenfarclas Family Cask 1991. Glenfarclas has every year since 1953 (if I remember correctly) in the Family Cask range. It's absolutely legendary and unique in the world of whisky.

Glendronach Single Cask 1991 is absolutely fantastic as well. Or at least, some casks are. I've heard there are mediocre ones as well.

If you can find it the Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1991 is the best distillers edition Lagavulin has done (at least since 1989). But that's pretty much sold out.

Might be easier to get an independent bottling from a specific year though. Distillery bottling like that are rare and often expensive. Something by Gordon and MacPhail or Signatory for example. But you'd have to try and find a distillery or cask type she'd like. Keep in mind though, distilled in 1991 and bottled recently is 20+ year old whisky. Single cask whisky that old often doesn't come cheap.

Glenfarclas Family Cask 1991 goes for close to 200 pounds. I imagine a decent independent single cask might cost half if you don't have extremely high wishes.

Edited by username

I'm planning on buying my quasi-girlfriend (who was born in 1991) a bottle of Scotch from somewhere around here that was bottled in '91 for her birthday. Good gift? Yes, she does like whisky.

Might be easier to get an independent bottling from a specific year though. Distillery bottling like that are rare and often expensive. Something by Gordon and MacPhail or Signatory for example. But you'd have to try and find a distillery or cask type she'd like. Keep in mind though, distilled in 1991 and bottled recently is 20+ year old whisky. Single cask whisky that old often doesn't come cheap.

Yes sir, indeed what I meant. Still learning :lol:

I popped into a whisky shop the other day and I believe they gave somewhat of the same answer with the independent bottling. One bottle I was shown was part of a line called "Connoisseur's Choice," though I forget what actual place it was from, but I'm pretty sure that it was one that's usually used in a blend that some enterprising soul decided to try and sell on its own - and it was actually pretty damn good! The bottle, I believe, was around 55 pounds, which I was pretty surprised about. If nothing better comes up, I think I might head back to that place and pick up one of those.

Yes sir, indeed what I meant. Still learning :lol:

I popped into a whisky shop the other day and I believe they gave somewhat of the same answer with the independent bottling. One bottle I was shown was part of a line called "Connoisseur's Choice," though I forget what actual place it was from, but I'm pretty sure that it was one that's usually used in a blend that some enterprising soul decided to try and sell on its own - and it was actually pretty damn good! The bottle, I believe, was around 55 pounds, which I was pretty surprised about. If nothing better comes up, I think I might head back to that place and pick up one of those.

Seems like a good call. Mortlach by any chance? They're mostly put into the blending industry. I'm a huge fan of their single malt though. Their sherry bottlings are really great. They have this nice barbecue-smoke taste. I dig that.

Edit: Connoisseur's Choice is an independent bottling range by Gordon And MacPhail. ;)

Edited by username

To be fair - I've had some poor experiences with Mortlach as well. I really do love their sherry bottlings, but I've had some others as well which were too dry and citrus-like for my taste. Although some of those were pretty good with a few drops of water in them. It's always a risk, but the rewards can be great too. Let me know how it works out! :) Always fun to hear.

• Like 1