The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

In the interest of not derailing this thread im gonna exercise some restraint and not dignify that *does an about turn and walks away*. Cunt!! :lol:

Actually, on topic, havent had a drink since Halloween, i feel a piss up coming on :D. Turning into a bit of an old git actually, into my brandy and that.

Anyone know any quality ones?

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

You could walk around with a bottle of Remy Martin startin shit like some 26- year-old skinny Cartman.

1. username - probably the only guy with a modicum of good taste in here so far.

2. Red:

- Anything with bourbon and honey should scream utter shite to you.

- You drinking straight Jager or summat?

username, Try Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek. Not disappointing.

Also, I don't think Kirkland can't make Single Malt Scotch. It's a protected brand name by law. It says that it has to be distilled and matured in Scotland for at least 3 years, among other things. Kirkland might be able to make a blended Scotch from imported batches of single malt and/or grain whisky that's actually from Scotland, I'm not sure how the law would work with that. But they definitely can't produce it unless they own a distillery in Scotland.

I am aware of the laws about whisky. Kirkland contracts distilleries to make their label. Grey Goose makes their French vodka, it's up for debate who makes their bourbon, possibly Knob Creek, and their Scotch is made by Alexander Murray & Co in Aberdeen.

username, Try Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek. Not disappointing.

Also, I don't think Kirkland can't make Single Malt Scotch. It's a protected brand name by law. It says that it has to be distilled and matured in Scotland for at least 3 years, among other things. Kirkland might be able to make a blended Scotch from imported batches of single malt and/or grain whisky that's actually from Scotland, I'm not sure how the law would work with that. But they definitely can't produce it unless they own a distillery in Scotland.

I am aware of the laws about whisky. Kirkland contracts distilleries to make their label. Grey Goose makes their French vodka, it's up for debate who makes their bourbon, possibly Knob Creek, and their Scotch is made by Alexander Murray & Co in Aberdeen.

Ah, that makes sense then. :) I did a little reading up. Seems they own Tullibardine. They also have a lot of blended Scotch. Most notably Highland Queen. Which claims to have single malts too, though that seems odd. I've read most of the single malt in blended Highland Queen is actually Glen Moray. The whole thing seems a bit complicated to me though. :lol: Especially if it's just about having your own label stuck on it.

• 3 weeks later...

So...I have just discovered, "Kentucky Cocoa." Hot cocoa and bourbon. You wouldn't think it's good, but it's fucking awesome. I'd rather add 90 proof bourbon than 50 proof peppermint schnapps. I guess I could buy Rumpelmints, but the bourbon blends so seamlessly to the cocoa that you don't even notice. Pretty awesome when it's 4 degrees out.

So...I have just discovered, "Kentucky Cocoa." Hot cocoa and bourbon. You wouldn't think it's good, but it's fucking awesome. I'd rather add 90 proof bourbon than 50 proof peppermint schnapps. I guess I could buy Rumpelmints, but the bourbon blends so seamlessly to the cocoa that you don't even notice. Pretty awesome when it's 4 degrees out.

Got an exact recipe?

Why not just have Irish Coffee instead? :unsure:

Why not just have Irish Coffee instead? :unsure:

This bourbon is 90 proof,and I don't dig coffee all that much.

• 4 weeks later...

Shieldaig Speyside 18 - neat

I'd never heard of that distillery! So I did some research and found out it isn't actually a distillery.

There is some very good background info in this review of their 18 year old:

http://scotchaddict.com/shieldaig-speyside-18-year-review-tasting-notes.html

Also, I just ordered our Whisky Club Groningen clubbotteling 2013. I've had a very small sip of it and it seemed delicious. It's a mystery barrel though! It's listed as a speyside, but the distillery is kept secret (probably by their request, a single cask non-distillery bottle of Lagavulin is often labeled mystery Islay by their request too). Based on taste we thought it might be from The Balvenie, but we'll never know for sure. Either way I'm getting it in 2 weeks! ^_^

Meanwhile, the Mrs found a great use for my leftover Bourbon - a Mississippi Mud Pie recipe with bourbon in it. An amazing dosis of or Oreo bottom, bourbon and dark chocolate. :)

• 1 month later...

I am going to pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek on Friday, whichever's cheaper, to congratulate myself on the fact I survived another week.

Bought myself a case of PBR and it's a lot shittier than I remember. I suppose I just didn't know better when I was younger.

Knob Creek is usually cheaper.

I was thinking about grabbing a bottle of Makers 46 tonight. Day off tomorrow.

Someone give me a great (fair priced) whiskey I can buy at almost every bar..

I'm young and enjoy whiskey but want to be able to ask for a good one at the bar.. Have tried crown jack makers and Jamison but those are usually pricey at the bars here. anything ig on the lower shelf side that's class!

Kentucky Gentleman?

• Like 1

I'm young and enjoy whiskey but want to be able to ask for a good one at the bar.. Have tried crown jack makers and Jamison but those are usually pricey at the bars here. anything ig on the lower shelf side that's class!

If you consider those pricey, it's pretty much impossible to advise you on good single malt Scotch, sorry... :( It's just a different price range entirely. Bourbon is usually cheaper and so is blended whiskey. But if you happen to have some money to spend, order yourself a glass of 16 year old Lagavulin.

Balentines is an ok blend at best imo. In blends I'd prefer something like Monkey Shoulder over Balentines any day of the week. Jameson isn't bad or anything, but to me it's not special in any way either. Too middle-of-the-road. Same goes for Chivas Regal or Dimple.

I'd say try to save up and have something different. It's worth it. ;)

Incidentally, I was a little disappointed a while ago when I opened my Cadenhead's Mortlach 14 year old. I expected the typical meaty Mortlach taste that I really love, but it turned out this one was very different! It has a lot of citrus in it and the finish it really really dry. It's not a bad whisky at all, but it's just really far removed from the taste I was hoping for.

I'd say Makers is about the cheapest you can get at a bar that's a good solid whiskey.

Maybe Jim Beam if they have it?