The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am going to pick up a bottle of Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek on Friday, whichever's cheaper, to congratulate myself on the fact I survived another week.

Bought myself a case of PBR and it's a lot shittier than I remember. I suppose I just didn't know better when I was younger.

Yep! It's been a long six months. :lol:

Woodford Reserve Bourbon is targeting women, something I've never seen before. Anybody ever drink the stuff?

Drank it last March at a whisky festival. One of the better tasting bourbon's I've had really.

Woodford is my current favorite

• 1 month later...

During my stay in the US I got into some whisky banter with a bartender who turned out to be from Kentucky. He advised me this:

Weller+12.jpg

Easily one of the best bourbons I've ever tasted, if not the best. Woodford is the only other one I've ever liked this much.

I also had a glass of this:

product12786_resize.jpg

Which was also very decent! Very soft actually.

But this morning, I still chose to buy myself this:

1347700-1.jpg

It might look gay, but this is just absolutely delicious. :wub:

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, it's whiskey season yet again!

Got this little gift for my girlfriend today. (Ft. Movember stache)

7A5C9E20-173E-4584-8B7C-B778F5DAE529_zps

Share your Christmas whiskey spoils and other whiskey related adventures of 2014.

Surprisingly 2014 has been mostly a beer year for me, and I haven't had a lot of extra money to spend on whiskey. I had a bottle of Speyside this summer, and my friend got me a Glennlivet 21 year for my birthday, but other than that I don't have much to report. Hopefully 2015 will be more rich in the water of the Gods

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Got this little gift for my girlfriend today. (Ft. Movember stache)7A5C9E20-173E-4584-8B7C-B778F5DAE529_zps

Share your Christmas whiskey spoils and other whiskey related adventures of 2014.

Surprisingly 2014 has been mostly a beer year for me, and I haven't had a lot of extra money to spend on whiskey. I had a bottle of Speyside this summer, and my friend got me a Glennlivet 21 year for my birthday, but other than that I don't have much to report. Hopefully 2015 will be more rich in the water of the Gods

Is that a Godinger decanter? Do you worry about lead leeching into the whiskey? And do you find that the glass stopper creates a good seal? My decanters have cork stoppers, and my cheap one has plastic which I'd like to replace with silicone.

Got this little gift for my girlfriend today. (Ft. Movember stache)7A5C9E20-173E-4584-8B7C-B778F5DAE529_zps

Is that a Godinger decanter? Do you worry about lead leeching into the whiskey? And do you find that the glass stopper creates a good seal? My decanters have cork stoppers, and my cheap one has plastic which I'd like to replace with silicone.

Nah. I bought this one because th crystal only has a 3% lead content, so even if some leeched into the whiskey it isn't any more significant than the average lead intake of a normal diet.

I probably should have washed it before I filled it though.

I'd prefer a cork over the glass stopper but this decantur seems to be designed well and it creates a decent enough seal. I'm not overly concerned about it though. Maybe I'll get some cork from the hobby and crafts store and just glue it to the tip of the stopper

Well shit now you've got me worrying about lead poisoning. Is 3% lead content safe? That doesn't seem like a lot, but I can't really find any good information about low lead content crystal

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Well shit now you've got me worrying about lead poisoning. Is 3% lead content safe? That doesn't seem like a lot, but I can't really find any good information about low lead content crystal

Most that I find is 24% lead crystal. I dunno, I mean, if there was that big a concern I would think that there'd be a bigger outcry. I remember seeing something online about putting a liquid in it that could potentially cause leeching and pour it out and wash after and anything that was going to leech would have. I have glass decanters because 1, I didn't feel like researching further, and 2, I decant my Scotch which I tend to save for special occasions and is therefore in the glass for a longer period of time.

Glennlivet 21

Beautiful whisky!

Monkey Shoulder is a good blended triple malt scotch whiskey for the price. A lot of craft breweries are already putting out spirits (and moonshine) so it's probably going to become heavily competitive in the next few years but that doesn't mean they're going to be any good.

Probably one of the best blends in it's pricerange!

So you guys find that the decanters make a big difference? Also, if you don't drink everyday and plan to keep in there for months at a time is is safe or have any reverse effects?

Woodford is what I usually go for.

It all depends on how it's closed. Every time a bottle or decanter is open, new oxygen comes in and the liquid reacts with that oxygen. If the decanter doesn't close properly, there's more oxygen to react with and your whisky will change more quickly. I have a beautiful crystal decanter, and it's filled with cheap Ballentines. Aka for display purposes only. I like bottles better really. They give more info and have beautiful labels. Seems more authentic.

Also, shameless cross-post from this afternoon:

10301289_10152527513305924_8618963896570

Als, shameless collection-showing:

10856526_10152527872110924_4699849769740

Left to right:

The Balvenie Warehouse 24 Hand-filled @ 59,5% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled by me from a sherry cask)

Blair Athol 1989 by Exclusive Malts 23 years old @ 47,6%

Bowmore Hand-filled @ 55,5% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, sherry cask)

Bruichladdich Summertime Valinch 23 years old @ 52,3% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, Chateau Latour finish)

Bunnahabhain WCG Special Release 2012 22 years old @ 47,8% (sherry cask)

Clynelish by Duncan & Taylor 21 years old @ 53,9%

Clynelish WCG Clubbotteling 2012 14 years old @ 49,2%

Edradour Straight From The Cask 2002 10 years old @ 58,9% (Châteauneuf-du-Pape finish)

Glendronach 1994 18 years old cask strength @ 51,6% (pedro ximinez sherry cask)

Glendronach Cask Strenght Batch 1 @ 54,8% (oloroso and pedro ximinez sherry casks)

Laphroaig 1998 by The Ultimate 14 years old Cask Strenght @ 60,1% (refill sherry cask)

Mortlach by Cadenhead 16 years old @ 54,2% (bourbon cask)

Mortlach by Duncan & Taylor 16 years old @ 51,3% (sherry cask)

Old Pulteney 2000 14 years old cask strength @ 61,1% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, bourbon cask)

Unknown Speyside WCG Clubbotteling 2013 18 years old @ 49,7%

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Glennlivet 21

Beautiful whisky!

Monkey Shoulder is a good blended triple malt scotch whiskey for the price. A lot of craft breweries are already putting out spirits (and moonshine) so it's probably going to become heavily competitive in the next few years but that doesn't mean they're going to be any good.

Probably one of the best blends in it's pricerange!

So you guys find that the decanters make a big difference? Also, if you don't drink everyday and plan to keep in there for months at a time is is safe or have any reverse effects?Woodford is what I usually go for.

It all depends on how it's closed. Every time a bottle or decanter is open, new oxygen comes in and the liquid reacts with that oxygen. If the decanter doesn't close properly, there's more oxygen to react with and your whisky will change more quickly. I have a beautiful crystal decanter, and it's filled with cheap Ballentines. Aka for display purposes only. I like bottles better really. They give more info and have beautiful labels. Seems more authentic. Also, shameless cross-post from this afternoon: 10301289_10152527513305924_8618963896570 Als, shameless collection-showing: 10856526_10152527872110924_4699849769740 Left to right: The Balvenie Warehouse 24 Hand-filled @ 59,5% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled by me from a sherry cask)Blair Athol 1989 by Exclusive Malts 23 years old @ 47,6%Bowmore Hand-filled @ 55,5% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, sherry cask)Bruichladdich Summertime Valinch 23 years old @ 52,3% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, Chateau Latour finish)Bunnahabhain WCG Special Release 2012 22 years old @ 47,8% (sherry cask) Clynelish by Duncan & Taylor 21 years old @ 53,9%Clynelish WCG Clubbotteling 2012 14 years old @ 49,2%Edradour Straight From The Cask 2002 10 years old @ 58,9% (Châteauneuf-du-Pape finish)Glendronach 1994 18 years old cask strength @ 51,6% (pedro ximinez sherry cask)Glendronach Cask Strenght Batch 1 @ 54,8% (oloroso and pedro ximinez sherry casks) Laphroaig 1998 by The Ultimate 14 years old Cask Strenght @ 60,1% (refill sherry cask)Mortlach by Cadenhead 16 years old @ 54,2% (bourbon cask) Mortlach by Duncan & Taylor 16 years old @ 51,3% (sherry cask) Old Pulteney 2000 14 years old cask strength @ 61,1% (distillery exclusive, hand-filled, bourbon cask)Unknown Speyside WCG Clubbotteling 2013 18 years old @ 49,7%
I wod have to assume Scotch is cheaper in the homeland, because that's like 2-3 grand in Scotch over here. Edited by AxlisOld

I wod have to assume Scotch is cheaper in the homeland, because that's like 2-3 grand in Scotch over here.

These are all between 40 and 120 euro's per bottle here in The Netherlands. And I think that it's slightly cheaper here than it is in Scotland due to taxes. I'd guess I paid between 1000 and 1200 euro's for these bottles combined. Edited by username

So the Scots do a better job than the Irish?

Can't really compare a country that has over 100 active whisky distilleries and probably as many closed ones with a country that has around 10 active distilleries. It's a different industry and a different culture. On top of that there are different regulations for the spirit and based on the ingredients also different products.

Even more so with Bourbon by the way. Completely different product from single salt Scotch, blended (Scotch) whisky, Irish whisky. They're all different kinds of products and therefor hard to compare. Can't say one is better than the other. The Japanese are doing amazing with their whisky as well. And I must say the Taiwanese are doing really good things with their Kavalan whisky as well.

As far as the Irish go I think Connemara and Bushmills are making some very nice whisky.

But overall I (greatly) prefer single malt Scotch.

I could bore you with the long story on why they're so different if you like.

Edited by username

Johnny Walker Black Label, on the rocks....sometimes with a splash of water.

Traditional black or double black? Either way, if you're feeling adventurous, lose the ice and minimize the water to 3 or 4 drops. In my never humble opinion that would taste better in a Glencairn glass than a tumbler. If you like that, try something like Talisker 10 or Benromach. Maybe Bruchladdich or Bunnahabhain. ;)
  • Like 1

Black label is a fine scotch on a budget IMO.

Definitely the best 'starter' Scotch.

That's what I have in that decantur I got for my girl. She's a bourbon fan but is trying to branch out into Scotch.

Hmmm. Bourbon usually has that a lot of corn, vanilla and oak in it. So it's sweet and depending on the grains used it can be spicy or smooth. I think that with Bourbon, the differences are smaller than with Scotch. Especially single malt (or even single cask) Scotch which can shoot into much more outspoken/extreme flavour directions than Bourbon.

I suppose black label will be quite peaty for her taste. But otherwise a safe and good start for blended Scotch. Blended Scotch meaning it's a mixture of malt and grain whiskies from different distilleries. I'd give stuff like Monkey Shoulder or Sheep's Dip a try too of you can find it.

Most people start with blended and then move into single malt Scotch (aka one single distillery and made only from barley). If you want to go with single malt (rather than blended) I'd start with something like Balvenie Double Wood. It's a great starter single malt and really non-offensive with flavours. :) That said it certainly isn't plain or bland. I really love it. Good price too for a single malt. :)