Does a stand-off between Axl and the label exist?

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

We are all well aware of the fiery relationship Axl has maintained with Universal post-David Geffen. To me the continuous cycle of tours unofficially in support of Chinese Democracy suggests that Axl is not on speaking terms with Universal. It seems like Axl is going to sustain this protest tour in order to push the label into the belief that GN'R remain relevant even in its more modern form and that a follow-up to Chinese Democracy is financially viable, particularly with the inclusion of a player that has hit pedigree, DJ Ashba. I feel that Axl resents the lack of pulling power he currently has over the label, unlike the absolute monopoly he had post-UYI with Chinese Democracy, and is thus going to stubbornly tour and tour until the label finally makes a call ackowledging that yeah we need another GN'R album in the stratosphere of music. Will that happen? Anybody's guess. But Axl isn't exactly a beacon of compromise.

The label doesn't care. It may piss some fans off but the only thing that will interest the labels with GNR is a reunion and even then it may not be a huge interest. I doubt any of them want to make a deal with a consistent procrastinator unless there is a big reward. CD, and material like it, isn't really capable of the big reward that they want. Sad but true.

Axl can tour all he wants but that isn't going to make the label come running.

I think both parties are much less interested than you would think. From everything we've seen (which isn't a whole lot) Axl doesn't appear to be excited about putting out another album, so why should the label? Especially after Chinese Democracy.

That's pretty much it right there.

Leaks of the rest of the Chinese stuff are probably the only way we'll ever hear new Guns music.

From everything we've seen Axl doesn't appear to be excited about putting out another album

Actually, this small sentence is the absolute essence in why it sucks being a Guns n' Roses fan. You've hit the nail on the head right there.

This is also the main reason of why I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy for even caring about the ever disappointing circus that is Guns n' Roses these days.

If even Axl doesn't care, why should any of us?

Edited by username

If even Axl doesn't care, why should any of us?

Probably because we're hoping that we might get him to care :)

I've stopped hoping for that a long time ago.

Haha. I don't think Axl's that consistent/rigid in his feelings about "new" music. I bet it's more like 9 months a year he could care less- and 2-3 months he entertains the idea. Put 4 years together like that and we get 1 year of work/interest on "new" music from Axl. How many "years" will it take to get to a release? Who the hell knows...

We all need to realize that these guys are hired guns, Just like any other aging act that has to replace musicians. Their is no new album. Probably ever. Axl will tour and replace the musicians if they choose to leave until he's tired of doing so then probably hide away. Which I'm happy with as long as when he is on tour he comes close to me.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

GNR needs a label.

Labels don't need GNR.

Standoff? no.

The reality is that GN'R owe the label an album to fulfill the Chinese Democracy and one other album contract. What I define as stand off, is the label want a certain type of album to fulfill that stipulation i.e. an album with Slash whereas Axl is adamant that the next album should be a follow-up to Chinese Democracy. And thus he will stubbornly and endlessly tour the Seven Continents like a pirate until the label admit defeat - which is absolutely not a certainty.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think further evidence of the stand off/'label isolation of Axl' is the recruitment of DJ Ashba. It's almost an attempt at compromise.

The authenticity of Finck to Buckethead (need I say more) to the soul of Fortus to the quirky Bumblefoot then... DJ Ashba? It simply doesn't fit the correlation. The label want a more typical Guns N' Roses in sound and imagery. And Ashba, whilst not compromising the new direction entirely, will facilitate the development of a more radio friendly album.

You guys really think the label cares about Axl Rose?

Yeah, I do think they care. Like it or not, there is still money to be made there.

Says WHO? Axl Rose is 50 now. He yielded one record in 15 years that made zilch compared to Greatest Hits. Something tells me Geffen isn't holding their breath for Axl's GN'R to set the world on fire.

You guys really think the label cares about Axl Rose?

Yeah, I do think they care. Like it or not, there is still money to be made there.

Says WHO? Axl Rose is 50 now. He yielded one record in 15 years that made zilch compared to Greatest Hits. Something tells me Geffen isn't holding their breath for Axl's GN'R to set the world on fire.

No, not to set the world on fire. But there is a market for it just based on the brand, and the reputation of the name and Axl. Some profit, is still profit, even if it won't be as huge as it once was.

GNR needs a label.

Labels don't need GNR.

Standoff? no.

The reality is that GN'R owe the label an album to fulfill the Chinese Democracy and one other album contract. What I define as stand off, is the label want a certain type of album to fulfill that stipulation i.e. an album with Slash whereas Axl is adamant that the next album should be a follow-up to Chinese Democracy. And thus he will stubbornly and endlessly tour the Seven Continents like a pirate until the label admit defeat - which is absolutely not a certainty.

We don't know if Axl owes the label another album, or what the situation is with the publishing, because Axl's deal with Iron Maiden's manager when he ran Sanctuary Records, Universal wound up absorbing all that up. Not sure if that means Universal wound up with the publishing rights, but you can look up and see Universal is publishing on behalf of Axl. For how long? Don't know.

All Axl has to do is dangle a "we want to put out a deluxe AFD" in front of them, or something related to the back catalog , they'll play along. Even if CD sold no copies, GNR still made (and makes) the label hundreds of millions of dollars.

If there's a 30 year old rule where master tape rights wind up in the band's hands after 30 years, Axl, Slash, and Duff are going to OWN AFD. Think about what that means, GNR might have complete ownership over publishing and the master tapes in a few years. I'm sure at some point there's going to be discussions about remastering it when the time comes.

We might not have a reunion, but the Axl and Slash feud might be put to rest for it.

For Axl put out CD was a nightmare. The creative process seems fine but when it comes to promo and marketing no support. The label told the band dont make a video. Things like Dr peppsr, rock band, Body of Lies were organised by the band. If there was a trilogy or double the label dudnt help them get it out.

For Axl put out CD was a nightmare. The creative process seems fine but when it comes to promo and marketing no support. The label told the band dont make a video. Things like Dr peppsr, rock band, Body of Lies were organised by the band. If there was a trilogy or double the label dudnt help them get it out.

No, that was all the label. Probably even Azoff.

The only thing there Axl ever even commented on to this day was dr pepper, in which he talked about guns n roses suing them which he apparently had nothing to do with. I buy that excuse as much as i buy duff showing up to gnr's gig ''accidentally"