Live Era re-dubbed vocals?

rumandraisin

I remember buying this the day it came out and being so pissed off that the vocals were done up. I used to watch the Illusions Japan gigs alot, so I was fully aware when songs from that gigs were being played (Axls intros etc) but then hearing different vocals on top of it really annoyed me. Actually went back and listened to it again recently... still annoys me, only a couple of reasons to listen to it ever again (It's Alright, Used to Love Her, You're Crazy).

Would rather listen to bootlegs.

I remember buying this the day it came out and being so pissed off that the vocals were done up. I used to watch the Illusions Japan gigs alot, so I was fully aware when songs from that gigs were being played (Axls intros etc) but then hearing different vocals on top of it really annoyed me. Actually went back and listened to it again recently... still annoys me, only a couple of reasons to listen to it ever again (It's Alright, Used to Love Her, You're Crazy).

This. If you're familiar with the bootlegs, it's really obvious the vocals were re-recorded.

I loved the re-recorded vocals and I think they sound much better than the 92 live voice. Nowadays I think he's much better live on many parts of songs compared to how he sounded in the 90's.

you sir, are crazy.

agreed.

i love this fella.

I can understand people being pissed that the majority of tracks aren't live, but it doesn't prevent it from being a great record, IMO.

Rocket Queen is better than the studio version.

No way.

maybe is a normal practice in live albums,but like iron maiden live at donington 92 the redubb was there to fix some errors,i remember one in the evil that men do,becuase i had the bootleg to (was called "from dark" or something like this),but they redubbed it the same year,maybe the same month! the voice was exactly the same

but check this CRAP, he starts the song with his "new mickey voice 99" and continue the song with it until 4:12 when the fast part of the song requires his full rasp from early 90s.

• Like 2

So spot on.

I'm a huge bootleg guy, and I can't think any other huge bootleg guy doesn't see this release as a total piece of garbage and a waste of time.

It's absolutely fucking disgusting and I wish the press had picked up on it at the time and tore him to pieces for it.

People are saying 'it's standard practice.' No it's NOT standard practice to re-record nearly all the vocals for an album and call it 'Live.'

And how ironic that he should make such a massive deal out of Flea performing to a pre-recorded backing track at the Superbowl, a really forgiveable shortcut, when he himself tried to pass off a studio album with masses of musical and vocal overdubs as live. I wish i'd remembered at the time because he deserved to be bombarded with thousands of #FakeEra tweets for that shit.

Absolutely right.

Robin's post is just beyond brilliant. Thats exactly how I feel. I'll just add a little more:

I've mentioned this every now and then on here but Live Era is such a disappointment, as is usual after everyone left the band. Its the perfect idea to end old Guns and immortalize them and its just so royally fucked up. What makes it suck even more is the tracklist is SO good and filled with great obscurities that it had the potential to be such a good live album. Axl's vocals have already been mentioned and they are atrociously obvious and ruin the songs. And then on top of that, they managed to make the World's Most Dangerous Band sound like the most sterile backing band ever. It doesn't have any of the power the bootlegs have and combine those two things and there's not much good to see on it.

There are very very few highlights. Basically the ones Robin mentioned. It's Alright is great and the You're Crazy/Used To Love Her section is very good. I'd also through in Out Ta Get Me which I remember thinking they used a good version of. But overall, the classics were killed. Nightrain is ok but never reaches its full potential. Jungle could have been so much better. Sweet Child was a mess the first time I heard it. I also never understood their show choices. They have potentially everything to choose from and chose such a ridiculous shows to use, and then overdub anything. Again, like everything post 96 GNR, it was just a massive disappointment on all fronts and I can't bare to listen to it.

As a young fan, I also discovered this album after I'd hear so much stuff on Youtube, and I think Generation nails it on the head that if you've heard the bootlegs and been exposed to so much of those, this just sounds like total crap. Watch the stuff on Youtube or listen to the bootlegs and they are fine as they were. Why he felt all this unnecessary work is beyond me, but totally "Axl" based on the whole Chinese disaster. He has become a terrible judge of his own material and to all the bootleg guys, who this release was MAINLY targeted at, this was the first straw that Guns was over.

Mickey voice? Are you deaf? Closer to AFD voice than the live voice.

But nothing like the concerts they are trying to convince you these things came from.

Touching up and studio magic is the way of the world. But flat out re-recording vocals some 7-10 years after the performance defeats the entire purpose of a live album.

Mickey voice? Are you deaf? Closer to AFD voice than the live voice.

But nothing like the concerts they are trying to convince you these things came from.

Touching up and studio magic is the way of the world. But flat out re-recording vocals some 7-10 years after the performance defeats the entire purpose of a live album.

I agree, the purpose of a live album was defeated by dubbed vocals but he didn't sound that bad. I liked Rocket Queen.

That said, I don't understand why they completely erased the rhythm guitar from some of the songs.

I bought it the day it came out. I loved it. I noticed a few changes here and there....I do believe Tracey and Roberta were erased from "Yesterdays."

Certainly didn't sound like it was over-dubbed to me.

I'm calling bullshit on people that are claiming to be able to instantly tell back in 99 that the "entire" album was re-recorded. Tweaked yes, but nobody was up in arms about it back then. The biggest controversy was the misprinted discs and shitty artwork mistakes. Typical of a GNR release.

The biggest controversy was the misprinted discs and shitty artwork mistakes. Typical of a GNR release.

In the USA, the first batch had print issues with Paradise City, the end of the song looped 3 times or something like that. That was a terrible mistake and what most people were complaining about.

I'm calling bullshit on people that are claiming to be able to instantly tell back in 99 that the "entire" album was re-recorded. Tweaked yes, but nobody was up in arms about it back then. The biggest controversy was the misprinted discs and shitty artwork mistakes. Typical of a GNR release.

Anyone who had heard the band live, knew right away that Axl just did not sing those songs that way live. Not only that, but you could recognize the performance sources, like Freddie Mercury tribute show, Paris 92, Tokyo 92 etc, and the vocals were completely changed. Yes, people could tell right away.

• Like 1

Anyone who had heard the band live, knew right away that Axl just did not sing those songs that way live. Not only that, but you could recognize the performance sources, like Freddie Mercury tribute show, Paris 92, Tokyo 92 etc, and the vocals were completely changed. Yes, people could tell right away.

Yeah, but nobody was bitching about it. Back in '99 we were actually GLAD to hear new Axl vocals.

And yeah, in addition to the end of PC skipping, the actual discs were mislabled. Disc One had Disc Two's artwork and vice versa. There were also errors in the artwork in the liner notes. The skips and mislabeling were corrected. You can tell the corrected version cause it has a blue flyer on the front cover instead of the orange one.

The sales clerk at Best Buy tried to refuse my exchange by telling me the error would be more "collectable" but I didn't give a shit. I wanted the CD that was labeled properly and wasn't mastered with fucking skips in it. And I wasn't about to pay for the CD again.

Althoug I DID buy the vinyl too, which actually IS worth money these days. I have the Japanese version too, cause Coma. It still has the orange flyer on the cover and never had the blue cover issued. PC does not skip on it either and the discs are labeled correctly.

Yeah, but nobody was bitching about it. Back in '99 we were actually GLAD to hear new Axl vocals.

On the one hand I agree, on the other, people knew what was up. This was not an honest "live" release, and it didn't fool fans that were familiar with their real live sound for one second.

And yeah, in addition to the end of PC skipping, the actual discs were mislabled. Disc One had Disc Two's artwork and vice versa. There were also errors in the artwork in the liner notes. The skips and mislabeling were corrected. You can tell the corrected version cause it has a blue flyer on the front cover instead of the orange one.

The sales clerk at Best Buy tried to refuse my exchange by telling me the error would be more "collectable" but I didn't give a shit. I wanted the CD that was labeled properly and wasn't mastered with fucking skips in it. And I wasn't about to pay for the CD again.

Althoug I DID buy the vinyl too, which actually IS worth money these days. I have the Japanese version too, cause Coma. It still has the orange flyer on the cover and never had the blue cover issued. PC does not skip on it either and the discs are labeled correctly.

The currently in print version IS the corrected one and has the orange flyer artwork.

i see no one mentioned the fact that the Japanese version got Coma

THIS is awesome, 100% un fucked with rock n fuckin roll

if you want to show someone who doesn't know what makes Guns N' Roses special ,play this for them

I believe it came from the Omaha show towards the end of the UYI tour in 93