Axl's hair '09-'13 era

trqster

The curly hair is what confuses the heck out of me, in all honesty. It's true that Axl could have ironed/straightened his hair in the 80s and 90s - plenty of people did - but if you look at his childhood photos, he's got pin-straight hair. Not a curl or a wave anywhere in sight. I doubt anyone was sitting there ironing out his short hair when he was seven years old...so how does one go from having naturally straight hair to naturally wavy hair?! Some medical treatments will do that, which might go in with the rumors about his health, but that's all I've got there.

The curly hair is what confuses the heck out of me, in all honesty. It's true that Axl could have ironed/straightened his hair in the 80s and 90s - plenty of people did - but if you look at his childhood photos, he's got pin-straight hair. Not a curl or a wave anywhere in sight. I doubt anyone was sitting there ironing out his short hair when he was seven years old...so how does one go from having naturally straight hair to naturally wavy hair?! Some medical treatments will do that, which might go in with the rumors about his health, but that's all I've got there.

He had waves

hnqnmzqy6nrp6yrm.jpg?djet1p5k

IMG_2389.jpg

w_axl_rosedotcom_00729.sized.jpg

1000526_666693893356155_1994839397_n.jpg

1986 - nowadays: same hair texture

En5RYf2.jpg

Axl1.jpg

The fact of it is that Axl always had shitty, curly, ratty looking hair. We're actually seeing Axl's hair, for the first time, in it's natural state.

What we saw in the late '80s and '90s was the result of him taking vitamins for his hair (he mentioned specifically taking vitamins to treat his hair and nails in the early '90s), layering it, and straightening it regularly. Now what we see is his natural texture + age and natural hair loss + damage from the braids and all the straightening and dye jobs.

When he tries to straighten it nowadays, it looks really thin:
f1_Eb_IDZ.jpg

So, nowadays, he probably just leaves it natural to maximize the volume.

• Like 1

It is not impossible. I had a straight hair when I was a child. In puberty it started to curl a bit, and now I have some kind of fuzzy, wavy mess, similar to his. And color is almost same, and eye color....

OMG ...am I going to be fat in my 50's? :blink::lol:

Edited by Kater

It is not impossible. I had a straight hair when I was a child. In puberty it started to curl a bit, and now I have some kind of fuzzy, wavy mess, similar to his. And color is almost same, and eye color....

OMG ...am I going to be fat in my 50's? :blink::lol:

Ah, interesting! Red hair seems to naturally change color a lot as discussed earlier; it wouldn't be too far off for it to change shape either, I guess.

The waves you see in that pic of his adolescence are an effect of having the hair cut in layers... Those layers were typical of the late 70's, early 80's. But that doesn't mean he has curly, wavy hair. His hair is straight, just like in the childhood pic.

IMG_2391.jpg

You can see his hair waves there

And here as a youth, age 18, before leaving Indiana and becoming a singer:

Axl+Rose.18+yrs+old.mugshot.jpg

I'm still not seeing a single wave here. In that first photo his hair is brushed to one side. It's like this one.

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/h/n/hnqnmzqy6nrp6yrm.jpg?djet1p5k

In the second he's got a feathered late 70s cut. Neither of those are waves or curls. Whatever one can say about Axl's family, it seems that as a kid they took him to a decent hairdresser.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

IMG_2391.jpg

You can see his hair waves there

And here as a youth, age 18, before leaving Indiana and becoming a singer:

Axl+Rose.18+yrs+old.mugshot.jpg

I'm still not seeing a single wave here. In that first photo his hair is brushed to one side. It's like this one.

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/h/n/hnqnmzqy6nrp6yrm.jpg?djet1p5k

In the second he's got a feathered late 70s cut. Neither of those are waves or curls. Whatever one can say about Axl's family, it seems that as a kid they took him to a decent hairdresser.

Consider how his hair looked when he cut it, out of the public eye though. If you look, you can see his hair, when shorter, waves on the end, and has more body to it than it did during the UYI era when it was pin straight:

1995.jpg

5kb4qaVHo2A.jpg

548a71396760fbcd718b45b7_700.jpg

Note the waves on the ends of his hair when short:

215861d582282758a6644935d36f0936.jpg

It looks more akin to how it looks nowadays

Edited by downzy

I'm not sure why you're posting all those baby photos of yourself, because they don't prove anything - what *your* hair does doesn't mean that's what Axl's hair does, or that it's some sort of standard that applies to everyone. You don't even seem to have the same texture as Axl.

Nobody's denying that his hair seems to have waves now, but it didn't start that way. If we're going to use personal examples, I've had wavy hair (that has waves and curls like Axl's now) that is blonde, and the same texture as Axl's, since I was born. I can tell you for a fact that I never would have been able to get it to lie flat or look the way his hair looked in his childhood photos. In fact, there's a photo floating around of Axl and his siblings, one of whom does have curly hair. You can see that Axl's hair lies flat - because it's straight and lying right against his head - and that his brother's hair is much fluffier, even though it's been combed out.

When we are looking at stuff from the 80s we are looking at hair that has been feathered, processed and teased into oblivion, as well.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1