GN'R's best and worst songs (lyrically)?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do lyrics have to be sophisticated in order to be deemed good? Sheesh... If you hate SCOM and TIL's lyrics I'd hate to see your reaction to early Beatles/Stones.

Agreed. Some people though can't appreciate anything that goes outside their narrow idea of what is good or 'cool'. One of the things I like most about GNR is that they happily put songs like SCOM and TIL next to Coma, Locomotive and It's So Easy. It shows they have more than one dimension to them.

I think another thing is that these "Best/Worst" lists (which I love, by the way) tend to turn into chaos because nobody can ever agree on criteria for "best/worst." My contention would be that most people are locked into modern tastes and cant see beyond this generation's tastes. "Chronological snobbery," as CS Lewis put it.

SCOM is probably the cheesiest and most generic lyrics of any GNR song. Those lyrics without the riffs would be so groan worthy.

But it got him lots of ass from Erin... So maybe it did cause some groans.

We can't forget the groans in the Rocket Queen "lyrics" over the slide solo.

Coma

Breakdown

Catcher

Estranged

Jungle

Sorry

This I Love

IRS

Don't Cry Original

Rhiad

CD is overall a little disapointing lyricwise.

Strange because he had sooo much time to come up with good lyrics.

But he is miles away from Illusionsstuff like Coma, Breakdown, Don´t Damn Me

I mean the lyrics are THE weakpoint of CD. I wonder why this hasn't been discussed very often.

Completely agree on the last part. One thing I thought would blew me way on CD were the lyrics since I love the illusions lyrics but they're not nearly as good as UYI. on some songs like Sorry and if the world lyrics ruin the song. Or his voice.

Although I like TIL lyrics. Or SCOM. I know they're cheesy but they they're emotional love songs so they have to be.

Why do lyrics have to be sophisticated in order to be deemed good? Sheesh... If you hate SCOM and TIL's lyrics I'd hate to see your reaction to early Beatles/Stones.

Agreed. Some people though can't appreciate anything that goes outside their narrow idea of what is good or 'cool'. One of the things I like most about GNR is that they happily put songs like SCOM and TIL next to Coma, Locomotive and It's So Easy. It shows they have more than one dimension to them.

Really? Who are you to judge and on what grounds do you base your opinions?

IMO It's nothing more than taste and preferances. I'm sitting here listening to Crookers, an electro/house duo from Italy. In my car from work today I listened to Slayer's Reign in Blood album. Among other artists records currently in my car is Fleetwood Mac, Down and Tyler, the Creator. How's that for narrow?

Personally, I don't care for "the dimensions of GN'R" anymore. I did when I only listened to GN'R but my musical taste has evolved a lot since then. I'm not a ballad-kinda guy. I listen to what I like and don't listen to the stuff I don't. I don't bitch and whine about other peoples opinons on some songs. I don't judge or think less of anyone. Not even you.

What is that "narrow idea of what is good" stuff you speak about? Is that when you judge a person that you don't know as some narrow minded person because they don't like your favorite songs? I think THAT seems narrow minded.

We were all asked to name the best and worst songs in GN'Rs catalogue and we did. Nothing more, nothing less.

And yes Eu4ic, you probably would hate to see my reaction to the Beatles/Stones. Sophisticated? I don't know... Someone posted the lyrics to Anything Goes with the "panties 'round your knees" verse. Those lyrics are awesome! Paints a great picture in my mind. Some has posted that they think GITR and Shotgun Blues as the worst songs, that's cool. I think they are fun juvenile hate songs, were my favorite songs as a 15 year old. First half of Get in the Ring is still awesome. When Axl starts rantin' about the "punks in the press" is IMO where it goes south.

Edited by CheapJon

14 Years and Pretty Tied Up are the best to me. Great synopses (intentionally or otherwise) of the relationship between Axl and Izzy, and the entire band. Most of the songs on Chinese Democracy just seem incomplete to me, I think IRS is the worst. They all have great potential for badass lyrical displays and just never make it there.

Best:

1. TWAT ("...and now you're sleeping like an angel...")

2. Prostitute

3. November Rain

4. TIL (made me cringe with cheesiness at first, but now I love it)

5. Madagascar

6. IRS (verses, chorus is a bit naff, love the "I bet you think I'm doing this all for my health... like a broken record for so long" bit)

7. Rocket Queen

Worst:

1. Riad

2. The Garden/Garden of Eden

3. "What's so civil 'bout war anyway?" (like the rest of the lyrics, love the song musically, but that last line of Civil War makes me cringe)

Edited by Amir

Coma

Breakdown

Catcher

Estranged

Jungle

Sorry

This I Love

IRS

Don't Cry Original

Rhiad

CD is overall a little disapointing lyricwise.

Strange because he had sooo much time to come up with good lyrics.

But he is miles away from Illusionsstuff like Coma, Breakdown, Don´t Damn Me

I mean the lyrics are THE weakpoint of CD. I wonder why this hasn't been discussed very often.

Completely agree on the last part. One thing I thought would blew me way on CD were the lyrics since I love the illusions lyrics but they're not nearly as good as UYI. on some songs like Sorry and if the world lyrics ruin the song. Or his voice.

Although I like TIL lyrics. Or SCOM. I know they're cheesy but they they're emotional love songs so they have to be.

Why should I completely agree? I don't.

What songs would you say have the best lyrics in GN'R's catalogue, and which songs have the worst?

For example, I'd say:

Coma

Estranged

Breakdown

Civil War

SCOM

Don't Damn Me

Have among the best lyrics in GN'R's catalogue

On the other hand, I'd say

Shotgun Blues

Sorry

IRS

Get in the Ring

Anything Goes

Have among the worst lyrics in GN'R's history

Decent call. I could add more to each list but too drunk right now.

Coma is S-I-C-K.

From a sociological stand-point I always thought One In A Million is actually a great lyric for what it tries represents. Not saying I agree with the sentiments. But it's a great expression of a naive, ignorant Mid-West white boy's introduction to seedy big city life. From a story stand-point, it's a great set of lyrics.

As for worst, This I Love is way too over the top on the emo level.

BEST:

Welcome To The Jungle

(Absolutely perfect lyrics for a rock n.' roll song)

It's So Easy

(Just as rock n' roll as WTTJ, but not quite as legendary)

November Rain

Don't Damn Me

Estranged

Coma

Chinese Democracy

(To me, no other song is as motivational as this one. But maybe it's just the way I interpret the lyrics, that makes em so great.)

Better

This I Love

(cheesy as fuck, but then again so is true love... This song really captures the feeling of love like no other song)

WORST: (Both of these are cheesy in a bad way and have a boring chorus)

Back Off Bitch

If The World

I guess the great one's outnumber the bad one's by far.