The term NuGnR

fantomas

Slash IS the lead guitarist for Guns N Roses. Always was and always will be.

Truth is the truth hurts eh? Hurts the old butt doesn't it. Butthurt much, nuGuns fans?

Can somebody explain to me what this idiot is rambling about? Last I checked, Slash was the lead guitarist for Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators. :shrugs:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just a term of distinction not a big deal :shrugs:

This. It's a means to categorize GNR. You may not agree with it, and it may piss you off (like when people still use the phrase "Uncle Axl" - I'm embarrassed for those people) but it is what it is and it's never going to change.

To this day, you can go out and about, and ask any random person, word for word, "Who is the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses?" and at least 95% of the responses will be "Slash". That says it all, really.

You've tested this, have you? How was that for you? Is your conclusion based only on those people that knew what Guns N' Roses was? Did you exclude the people that looked at you like the worlds biggest loser and walked away? How big was your testing area and how many total people were interviewed?

I'll try to recreate your results.

I'll disagree that 95 percent of the public will say it's still Slash. I will agree that 95 percent will say it's Slash OR some guy with a KFC bucket on his head OR they will admit to not know.

Hell, I'll bet that 90 percent of the people who show up to a GNR show today wouldn't be able to get the name of one GNR lead guitarist right. Even though Richard has been in the band for 14 years and is good at what he does, he's one of the most nondescript, generic guitarist I've ever seen. Same goes with DJ (though I'll accept arguments that his guitar playing chops ain't stellar). Nobody is going to remember either of these guys. And most people are going to think Bumble is just Buckethead without the bucket.

I took 14 people to a GNR in 2006 and all of them had no clue who was the lead guitarist was (they knew it wasn't Slash, only because I told them he wasn't in the band anymore so they wouldn't get disappointed). Hell, whenever we bring up that show Buckethead or admit that they don't remember who anyone was other than Axl. In fairness to both my friends and the band, we were all drunk and/or stoned so I don't begrudge them for not getting the details down right. But having seen this band 14 times, 11 of which I was on the floor and either on the rail or within a few rows of it, I never heard anyone yell out anyone's name other than Axl or Buckethead.

Edited by downzy

It is just a term of distinction not a big deal :shrugs:

This. It's a means to categorize GNR. You may not agree with it, and it may piss you off (like when people still use the phrase "Uncle Axl" - I'm embarrassed for those people) but it is what it is and it's never going to change.

To this day, you can go out and about, and ask any random person, word for word, "Who is the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses?" and at least 95% of the responses will be "Slash". That says it all, really.

You've tested this, have you? How was that for you? Is your conclusion based only on those people that knew what Guns N' Roses was? Did you exclude the people that looked at you like the worlds biggest loser and walked away? How big was your testing area and how many total people were interviewed?

I'll try to recreate your results.

I'll disagree that 95 percent of the public will say it's still Slash. I will agree that 95 percent will say it's Slash OR some guy with a KFC bucket on his head OR they will admit to not know.

Hell, I'll bet that 90 percent of the people who show up to a GNR show today wouldn't be able to get the name of one GNR lead guitarist right. Even though Richard has been in the band for 14 years and is good at what he does, he's one of the most nondescript, generic guitarist I've ever seen. Same goes with DJ (though I'll accept arguments that his guitar playing chops ain't stellar). Nobody is going to remember either of these guys. And most people are going to think Bumble is just Buckethead without the bucket.

I took 14 people to a GNR in 2006 and all of them had no clue who was the lead guitarist was (they knew it wasn't Slash, only because I told them he wasn't in the band anymore so they wouldn't get disappointed). Hell, whenever we bring up that show most of them think they saw Slash or Buckethead when obviously neither of them were on stage that night. In fairness to both my friends and the band, we were all drunk and/or stoned so I don't begrudge them for not getting the details down right. But having seen this band 14 times, 11 of which I was on the floor and either on the rail or within a few rows of it, I never heard anyone yell out anyone's name other than Axl or Buckethead.

Looks like we have another man to help confirm Bobbo's results. My money is on the vast majority of people not knowing, but we'll see when we pool our data.

Hurry up with those testing parameters Bobbo.

New GNR is fine with me

NuGnR pisses me off, because the fags who coined that phrase, only did it because limp bizkit and linkin park were the face of rock music when the '02 lineup came about

I didn't know that's the reason why the band is called NuGnR by some people.

I don't mind the current band being labelled as New Guns. It's understandable because "Old Guns" or the old lineup are iconic for many people and in rock n roll history.

I think people know Slash isn't in the band. It's definitely less than 95% who think he still is, probably about 30-50%. I'm just judging that from the last gig I went to in Abu Dhabi. Some people there mentioned they were waiting for Slash, etc., but loads knew he wasn't in the band. And the attendance was probably about 50-60% of the Metallica gig I went to last night. My dad asked why, I told him if Slash was still in GNR, that arena would be full of people from all over the world, just like they came for Metallica. On the way to the Metallica gig I was in a lift with a couple and the guy liked my GNR t-shirt (I don't have many other t-shirts to wear, makes it a bit awkward for concerts for other bands...). Then his girlfriend said "it's just not the same without the old guys". Then again she wasn't sure who was in Metallica. Not terribly scientific, but I think over half the public who care at least a little about GNR know Slash isn't in the band. That's why GNR doesn't do stadium gigs in the US and other places apart from maybe South America.

On Topic: For me, I like all line-ups to some extent, but I find it hard to describe an exclusively touring lineup as "Guns N' Roses". We'll have to wait for an album before we can make a judgement call. NuGNR makes it easier to describe when it essentially turns into an Axl Rose passion project.

Edited by Amir

Did you know that Guns N' Roses were actually dissolved - i.e. legally discontinued - on 30 December 1995? Axl literally started a new band from that date onwards. It legally is a 'new' band then. 'Nugnr' then is a fitting and appropiate term.

My whole point was, as on topic with this thread, is how the majority of people don't view nu guns as gnr, but more as Axl and a bunch of people playing the hits. Most view Guns N' Roses as the group of musicians who made Appetite, Lies, and the Uyis. Nothing that "gnr" have done since Axl was the last appetite man standing has mattered, aside from the nostalgic touring.

So when you ask a group of people, again, word for word "who is the lead guitarist of guns n roses?", easily the vast majority of them will say "slash". Mainly because he's the one most associate with that position, and nobody that's tried to fill his shoes has made a significant impact or added any weight to the name. It's not a matter of people thinking he still plays with Axl, it's a matter of the rest being viewed as insignificant.

Didn't take a census, because its clearly common sense to most, especially the fact that most don't look at this "incarnation" as real deal gnr. But if you have the time to dedicate to challenging my statement, be my guess buddy.

Now if you were to get more technical, and ask something like "who is currently playing guitar in gnr today" or "who replaced slash?" You'll probably get mainly a mix of "they're still around??", "that bucket head guy?" and "I don't know".

Can't believe this is even a debate, lol. Slash will always be looked at as THE lead guitarist of GNR.

Edited by Bobbo

Did you know that Guns N' Roses were actually dissolved - i.e. legally discontinued - on 30 December 1995? Axl literally started a new band from that date onwards. It legally is a 'new' band then. 'Nugnr' then is a fitting and appropiate term.

Why use an "appropriate term" when we can just call it with its name? And if we have to refer to a particular lineup then that is easily said and done.

Why use an "appropriate term" when we can just call it with its name? And if we have to refer to a particular lineup then that is easily said and done.

Because everything changed in the 'band' when Slash and Duff left the band... No more remains of 'original' chemistry left then...inevitably the music style changed a lot... Gn'R had lost its 'soul' by then...

But let me put it in this way, do you believe if Axl had named his band another name other than keeping it Gn'R, the music would have been any different?

Didn't take a census,

It's time that we did. Since it was your idea, you come up with the parameters. You, Downzy and I will get to the bottom of this once and for all. For the good of MyGNR forumites everywhere!
My "idea"? It was a hypothetical scenario demonstrating what most who realize that the world isn't flat are already aware of.

If you and Downzy wanna go for it, and try to demonstrate why you think I'm wrong, go for it. I simply just don't have that much time on my hands to dedicate to it. Lmao.

Because everything changed in the 'band' when Slash and Duff left the band... No more remains of 'original' chemistry left then...inevitably the music style changed a lot... Gn'R had lost its 'soul' by then...

But let me put it in this way, do you believe if Axl had named his band another name other than keeping it Gn'R, the music would have been any different?

You didn't answer my question at all. Why use a fuzzy term like "nuGuns" when you can use an accurate term like, e.g., "the current lineup" or "the 2007 lineup", etc? Why forego the fact that the band's name is actually "Guns N' Roses". If you really feel the band has lost its soul, why not call it "no-soulGuns" rather than "nuGuns"?

Yes, I believe Axl would have made somewhat different music if he did it in another band or as a solo artist.

So when you ask a group of people, again, word for word "who is the lead guitarist of guns n roses?", easily the vast majority of them will say "slash".

I am not so sure of that anymore.

Didn't take a census,

It's time that we did. Since it was your idea, you come up with the parameters. You, Downzy and I will get to the bottom of this once and for all. For the good of MyGNR forumites everywhere!
My "idea"? It was a hypothetical scenario demonstrating what most who realize that the world isn't flat are already aware of.

If you and Downzy wanna go for it, and try to demonstrate why you think I'm wrong, go for it. I simply just don't have that much time on my hands to dedicate to it. Lmao.

We're going to need your input. It's best to have data from multiple regions. How long can it take to ask 100 people? Opinion does not equal fact and I'm still thinking that far more people won't know than will pick Slash. The world outside of this forum has actually moved on.

This. This current entity was started by Axl, and Slash and Duff were given the ultimatum to join it as employees which they did for a short amount of time before they both left.

Damn Smooth, seriously shut the fuck up.

My whole point was, as on topic with this thread, is how the majority of people don't view nu guns as gnr, but more as Axl and a bunch of people playing the hits. Most view Guns N' Roses as the group of musicians who made Appetite, Lies, and the Uyis. Nothing that "gnr" have done since Axl was the last appetite man standing has mattered, aside from the nostalgic touring.

So when you ask a group of people, again, word for word "who is the lead guitarist of guns n roses?", easily the vast majority of them will say "slash". Mainly because he's the one most associate with that position, and nobody that's tried to fill his shoes has made a significant impact or added any weight to the name. It's not a matter of people thinking he still plays with Axl, it's a matter of the rest being viewed as insignificant.

Didn't take a census, because its clearly common sense to most, especially the fact that most don't look at this "incarnation" as real deal gnr. But if you have the time to dedicate to challenging my statement, be my guess buddy.

Now if you were to get more technical, and ask something like "who is currently playing guitar in gnr today" or "who replaced slash?" You'll probably get mainly a mix of "they're still around??", "that bucket head guy?" and "I don't know".

Can't believe this is even a debate, lol. Slash will always be looked at as THE lead guitarist of GNR.

All of this! You'd have to be a shut in to disagree. If you're a Guns fan and you have a social life, you know that Bobbo is spot on. Even people who like Guns usually only know about the VMA incident if they know about anything post TSI.

I'm annoyed when I see people use term " NuGNR" when speaking about current line up. It is an obsolete, inaccurate term. Current line up is NuNuGnr.

Or, if you wanna get a touch edgy for old times' sake, NuNuGNFNRS.

If I say NuGNR, its just to make sure people know that Im talking about todays band. If Im talking about another specific lineup, I'd say for instance GNR of 2002.

I'm annoyed when I see people use term " NuGNR" when speaking about current line up. It is an obsolete, inaccurate term. Current line up is NuNuGnr.

Not really.. It would be NuNuNuNuGNR.

UYI lineup. Early 2000 lineup. 2006 Lineup. 2009 Lineup. You could add even more if you wanted to be even more detailed...

Yes, the one continuity is both bands are called 'Guns N' Roses' but they are distinct legal entities. I suppose, whether you accept the fluidity of the change or not depends on whether you accept Axl's dictatorship of the name. You see, the pre-December '95 band was a partnership in various guises. The post-December '95 was an ownership under W. Axl Rose. Personally, I do not see the term 'nugnr' as such a negative term. It allows a lot of fans to reconcile themselves to the 1998-2013 band without feeling that they have swallowed a load of sand whenever they mention the band's name: 'Dj Ashba is Guns N' Roses' = no, doesn't feel right for some reason. ''DJ Ashba is nugnr' = I can live with that.

It is a sort of half way house, nugnr, for a lot of fans. But it does serve an useful purpose.

The way I personally see it is (and I admit, I have picked some of the dates out of personal preference and not strictly legal)...

1985-1994: Guns N' Roses

(1995-1997: Hiatus).

1998- : NuGN'R.

That is how I see it. I choose 1994 because it has the last piece of productivity with the old band (SOTD). Also, the Nov 1991-1993 Illusion Touring lineup was essentially intact until June 1994 when Gilby was sacked. 1998 I choose because that seems the year when nugnr started to record in earnest (although we didn't hear anything until Oh My God in late '99).

That is how I see it.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Bullshit, current lineup is NuNuNuGNR, NuNuGNR is 2006-2007 lineup :max: .